cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Approved after decline from AMEX BSP

tag
bionic84

Chase Sapphire Approved after decline from AMEX BSP

Shocked after getting approved for the Chase Sapphire Preferred and declined on Amex BSP. I was really expecting the opposite result, but pleased and will probably hit up AMEX again in another month or so. 

It was curious as AMEX checked Transunion, which I would have never expected. Still waiting for the letter for the reason as the online applicaiton status check errors in Internal server error when trying to get to the actual letter.

With over 710 on all three reports, I'm not sure if I'm more suprised to get the Chase or tunred down by AMEX; especially with no lates, baddies, or bankruptcy. Wierd, but as many have said AMEX marches to the beat of their own drum. With the CSP though they may lose out on potential customers because the CSP is already a better card and it's jus the notearitey of the AMEX which is desirable, but even that can fade away. 

I'm guessing the bump on my Wells Fargo Secured helped get the CSP, but I'm sock drawing the Wells as they haven't graduated me in over 7 years now. Screw Wells even after being very good for them for so long.

Can't wait to start using my CSP for a bunch of trips over the next three months! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Omri
New Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Approved after decline from AMEX BSP

@bionic84 wrote:

With over 710 on all three reports, I'm not sure if I'm more suprised to get the Chase or tunred down by AMEX; especially with no lates, baddies, or bankruptcy. Wierd, but as many have said AMEX marches to the beat of their own drum. With the CSP though they may lose out on potential customers because the CSP is already a better card and it's jus the notearitey of the AMEX which is desirable, but even that can fade away.

I apped for a CSP and an AmEx Starwood card on the same day, and I also got approved for the CSP and denied for the AmEx. I was *shocked* at the AmEx denial, especially when the denial letter came back saying my Experian score they pulled for the app was 742. Oh well, their loss. I've been a very happy Chase customer with both the Freedom and the CSP.

Congrats on your CSP approval, by the way! It's a great card Smiley Happy

Recent FICO scores: TU - 755 (mortgage lender pull)
Message 2 of 10
rtw
Established Contributor

Congrats on the CSP! I have really been enjoying that card.

Starting Score: EX: 575 (PSECU 5/2/12) TU: 582 (3/6/12) EQ: 664 (4/27/12)
Current Score: EX: 699 (PSECU 06/04/14) 702 (my FICO 08/05/14) TU: 699 (08/01/14) EQ: 675 (07/08/14)
Goal Score: 720
20K PSECU 7/12 | 12K USAA 9/12 | 11K BOA 1-2-3 9/12 | 9K Citi HHonors 9/12 | 8.5K Citi AAdvantage 5/08 | 5K Chase Sapphire Pref. 9/12 | 3.8K Barclays USAir 7/12 | 6K Walmart Dis. 11/12 | 1K Amex SPG 11/12 | 2K Amex BCP 1/13
Message 3 of 10
distantarray
Established Contributor

and I thought I knew of all Amex cards, what is a BSP? Smiley Happy

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 4 of 10
Omri
New Contributor

Blue Sky Preferred

Message 5 of 10
bionic84

Thanks! I'm planning another app for the Amex BSP when scores go over 740 with a few more months paying history and when my auto loan is paid off, and if still getting denied, I'll give up and just use the heck out of my Sapphire Preferred.

To add, +1 on all the positive feedback of Chase's customer support! They are fast, fluent in English and just warm and fuzzy to be helpful for you. Yesterday I called back after my approval to get the card expressed and the wonderful gal had it shipped overnight without even me asking. It was truly like she read my mind and was motivated to actually make me happy; image that, making a customer happy.

Meanwhile AMEX's site to get the letter explaining decline is down with Internal Server Error and CS reps can't and won't give me any of the reasons. :/
Message 6 of 10
Omri
New Contributor

I had that experience too with AmEx's site - always got an internal server error when trying to get the details about the decline.

Message 7 of 10
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Call to find out why you were declined and then write a recon letter to AMEX. Do it d=soon as it already cost you a HP. 

Message 8 of 10
bionic84

Thanks scenery_guy, I just mailed one off and keeping my fingers crossed. Honestly with the good credit profile I have an just getting approved for the CSP, I'm hoping AMEX sees me as worthy to join the ranks of their membership. I'm continually befuddled as to why I can't get it. 

Message 9 of 10
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

Great! I hope you were firm in arguing your points as to why you feel you should get the card. My experience is it takes at least couple of weeks for movement on a letter, perhaps more this holiday season. Do you have the link for checking status of you app online? Watch it as it will go from denied to pending or something like that. Call in at that point to check on the recon status. I got an email out of the blue approving me about 2 1/2 weeks from mailing the letter. 

Good luck!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.