Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Sapphire Preferred APPROVED!

tag
Topher227
Established Member

Chase Sapphire Preferred APPROVED!

Hey guys! 2nd post here, been a long time lurker here... 

I've had a Chase Slate card since 2007, and a Freedom card which I got last month (3k CL). I really like the Freedom card because of the 5% cash back benefit, as well as the bonus points you can get from their online store (12 points for $1 at Resturant.com?? count me in!!!). The slate card has very little use to me as there are no rewards.

I do some traveling from time to time and noticed that the Sapphire card had no foreign transaction fees.... So i called Chase CS and spoke with a representive (in india) who told me there was just no way I could be PC'd to a sapphire card. I asked to speak to a supervisor and spoke with a gentleman (who was in the US) and was extremely down to earth. He said there was no way he could PC it, but he highly recommended to me that I put in a second app. I said that I had just placed another app last month for the freedom card, but he strongly encouraged me to try anyway and that "All applications can be reconsidered manually by our credit team if they are declined". He also told me about the 40,000 bonus points and said, with a snicker... "If we keep handing out money like this, I wonder when they're going to start laying people off around here". He was genuine, and i liked that. Even if it was a sales pitch, he surely knew how to make it not sound like one.

So, I ended the call and app'd for the CSP on Thursday. I got the "30 days" message. The next day, I called and spoke with a woman who took a look at the app.... she said that all of my available credit lines were low and she wasn't too confident about an approval. I said I was willing to work with Chase in any way possible for an approval. She placed me on hold and came back saying that she could close my chase card and put the available credit ($1,500) towards the CSP -- it wouldn't be a guaranteed approval, but it would give me a very good chance. She also said there was a balance on the card ($300), and I would need to pay it in full first. After that call I went online and paid the entire balance. It posted on Saturday morning.

I called in Sat morning and spoke with a gentleman. After explaining the last few conversations to him he placed me on hold for about 30 seconds and came back telling me I was approved, with a $5k credit access line. After that call I tried the automated status line and it was in there too! 5K! I should be getting my card within a week...... I'm really excited!!!!!!!

I am very surprised I was approved with my credit scores, but i'm very happy with the outcome!! I am also very pleased with the quality of the customer service.....

Now, back to gardening! Smiley Wink

April 2011 -- EQ: 593, EX: 603, TU: 619
April 2012 -- EQ: 699, EX: ???, TU: 714
May 2012 -- MyFico EQ: 743
July 2012 -- MyFico EQ: 760!!!
Wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: $5K CL, AMEX BCP: 1k CL, Chase Freedom: 3k CL, Sams Club Private Label: $5k CL, BofA 1-2-3: 5k CL
Sock Drawer: Cap1 Platinum, 1FBUSA
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
mAndrew1980
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Sapphire Preferred APPROVED!

Yay! Congrats! That is such an awesome card. I wanted to App for it so badly but was scared I'd get denied. So I got the Chase United Mileage Plus but the Saphire is an amazing card.

Transunion: 713 FICO (5/13/2014) MyFico
Experian: 789 FICO (4/10/12) Lender Pull
Equifax: 695 FICO (1/10/14) MyFico

My cards: Chase United Mileage Plus 7000CL (3/12), CITI Simplicity 1800CL (9/12), Cap1 Platinum 1000CL (2/10), Cap1 Cash back 1500CL (11/11), Apple Barclay's 2500CL (11/11), Discover IT 6000CL (5/13)

My Primary Financial Goal is to put down my utl%.

Message 2 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! I love the CSP!

Message 3 of 32
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Topher227 wrote:

Hey guys! 2nd post here, been a long time lurker here... 

I've had a Chase Slate card since 2007, and a Freedom card which I got last month (3k CL). I really like the Freedom card because of the 5% cash back benefit, as well as the bonus points you can get from their online store (12 points for $1 at Resturant.com?? count me in!!!). The slate card has very little use to me as there are no rewards.

I do some traveling from time to time and noticed that the Sapphire card had no foreign transaction fees.... So i called Chase CS and spoke with a representive (in india) who told me there was just no way I could be PC'd to a sapphire card. I asked to speak to a supervisor and spoke with a gentleman (who was in the US) and was extremely down to earth. He said there was no way he could PC it, but he highly recommended to me that I put in a second app. I said that I had just placed another app last month for the freedom card, but he strongly encouraged me to try anyway and that "All applications can be reconsidered manually by our credit team if they are declined". He also told me about the 40,000 bonus points and said, with a snicker... "If we keep handing out money like this, I wonder when they're going to start laying people off around here". He was genuine, and i liked that. Even if it was a sales pitch, he surely knew how to make it not sound like one.

So, I ended the call and app'd for the CSP on Thursday. I got the "30 days" message. The next day, I called and spoke with a woman who took a look at the app.... she said that all of my available credit lines were low and she wasn't too confident about an approval. I said I was willing to work with Chase in any way possible for an approval. She placed me on hold and came back saying that she could close my chase card and put the available credit ($1,500) towards the CSP -- it wouldn't be a guaranteed approval, but it would give me a very good chance. She also said there was a balance on the card ($300), and I would need to pay it in full first. After that call I went online and paid the entire balance. It posted on Saturday morning.

I called in Sat morning and spoke with a gentleman. After explaining the last few conversations to him he placed me on hold for about 30 seconds and came back telling me I was approved, with a $5k credit access line. After that call I tried the automated status line and it was in there too! 5K! I should be getting my card within a week...... I'm really excited!!!!!!!

I am very surprised I was approved with my credit scores, but i'm very happy with the outcome!! I am also very pleased with the quality of the customer service.....

Now, back to gardening! Smiley Wink

CONGRATS!!!!!

HAPPY DANCE!!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 32
Eschaton
Regular Contributor

Very good to hear!

Sounds like a lot of effort on your part to make it happen, glad to hear it was a success Smiley Happy 

Congratulations!

Capital One Journey (12/2010) $750 | Chase Freedom (03/2012) $3500 | American Express Zync (03/2012) NSPL | Amazon Prime (08/2018) $6000 | Chase Sapphire Preferred (10/2018) $8000 | Bank of America Cash Reward 10/2018 $8000 | Chase Freedom Unlimited 06/2019 $2700

Experian score: 793 (9/2018)
Message 5 of 32
snowangel
Frequent Contributor

Congrats.  That's the next card on my list but I'm holding off for awhile.  Too many inqs and new accounts for them to approve me.  

EQ: 662 | TU: 682 | EX Plus: 764
SL baddies fall off between Jan '13 - Oct '14
Message 6 of 32
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Congrats! That 30-day message had me on pins and needles. I thought for sure it was a denial, but they surprised me, too. (Just got Freedom.)

So, did you close your Slate and move the $1500 to your CSP? Or did they just approve your CSP outright? I wonder if it's just up to the person you talk to on the phone. Maybe the first woman was a little more conservative and the guy wasn't? Or maybe making the $300 payment made a difference. In any case, congrats and enjoy your card! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 32
Topher227
Established Member

Thank you for your kind words everyone!!

Eschaton, one thing i've learned from reading this board would be "If you don't suceed the first time.... try again!"...... it worked in my situation, and I hope that any newcomers know to do the same!

Wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: $5K CL, AMEX BCP: 1k CL, Chase Freedom: 3k CL, Sams Club Private Label: $5k CL, BofA 1-2-3: 5k CL
Message 8 of 32
Topher227
Established Member

They closed the slate account completely and used that credit line towards the CSP from what they told me.... Maybe the PIF payment helped too, but as always im sure YMMV

Message 9 of 32
Open123
Super Contributor

Congrats!

In my view, the CSP is one of the top 3 overall credit cards available.  After a few weeks and learning more of the card, I've decided the card is a keeper.  The annual fee is well worth it, in my view.

Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.