Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase Two for One - United MileagePlus & Marriott Rewards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Two for One - United MileagePlus & Marriott Rewards

I wasn't going to post these approvals, thrill of card approvals is gone for me at this point, but I figured if the information might possibly help someone else then it should be shared. Smiley Happy

Applied for United MileagePlus on 10/14 at 5am. Got further review needed screen, 30 day email, 30 day automated phone message. Foolishly didn't take my own advice with Chase and called the next day. Approved for $12k after application review and verification. I feel it may have been higher had I simply waited for a decision. EQ pull.

Applied for Marriott card on 10/15 at 12pm. Card showed up online within less than three hours. Approved for $5k. I think this minimum limit is Chase subtly letting me know I'm either at my limit with them based on income or to cool it with applications. Understandable. Same EQ pull used.

United Offer: 30k miles after $1k spend + $50 statement credit + 5k miles authorized user, AF waived
Marriott Offer: 50k points after $2k spend, AF waived

United I have a use for so I'll be overpaying a few bills when the card arrives but 50k Marriott points aren't particularly useful to me for the category of hotels I prefer with them so Im not even bothering with meeting the spend and likely wont use the card at all. I would have preferred a $17k credit line on the United card, a $17k CLI on my current cards would have been even better (yea right) but thats not how Chase works for most and I have zero faith in them approving CLI's for me after a HP so this will do. Both will be closed before AF(s) are due.

Score: EQ 724, not sure of my internal score with them at this time
Inqs: 10? I think its 10, possibly 9
AAoA: Was 2 years exactly before the Citi card reported, not sure of the drop since then
Util: 6%, rising to about 15% next month then a little lower once these cards report in December and payments are made on DP balance

btw I didnt wait for the 50k miles offer with United bc Im not interested in spending $3k, or $2k with some offers, to get them. 35k miles is enough for a one way business ticket to a few destinations I have in mind and unlike my bad experience with AA miles due to lack of research on my part there's a nice variety of flights offered when using United miles from SFO.

Last but not least since being here I've learned its a bit unrealistic to claim I'm 100% done with applying. Life happens and needs change. I needed a second no FTF option besides Discover since I'll be taking two international trips within the next four months and also wanted the option to easily consolidate limits and close cards later.

Message 1 of 56
55 REPLIES 55
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

Re: Chase Two for One!

Congrats Heaven that is cool!!!

edit 'cause I read the last paragraph again!!  LOL

Message 2 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

Of course I'm moving the credit line over before canceling! With both cards. Smiley Very Happy No biggie I know it sounds a little crazy at first glance to not be interested in the points. Truthfully that second card could have been anything with a $5k minimum lol Thats all I was concerned with. The only two that immediately came to mind were CSP and Marriott, neither of which have spend requirements I care to meet. Wasnt sure about minimums on the others. Just knew a second pull wouldnt happen so picked one and went for it.
Message 3 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

odd_dog its ok! lol I figured this question would come up anyway Smiley Happy Thanks
Message 4 of 56
odd_dog
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
odd_dog itsok!lol I figured this question would come up anyway Smiley Happy Thanks

LOL I am putting it down to not fully reading the post, shame on me, that is why I edited my response....I am SOOOOOO getting old....BUT the consolidation of CL is an AWESOME reason especially with Chase.....and ESPECIALLY with one CR pull!!  YAY for you!!!

Message 5 of 56
ddemari
Super Contributor

Congrats!! I like the wait it out method, and in your case the results came through FAST. I have both cards, easy sign ups to complete and get bonus. I plan on keeping Marriott, but eventually ditching Explorer. 

Enjoy! 

Message 6 of 56
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats Heaveny!  You can transfer the marriot points to me Smiley Happy..  Saddens me to see a bonus goto waste, but at least you got both on one HP.. Seems Chase is finally willilng to extend you alot more credit than they use to being willing to, guess it just took a bit of time, hoping for the same with myself as I find them my lowest lender now when they use to be my highest last Dec.. Guess I shall find out when I apply for a card or two in Nov with them.

Message 7 of 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Chase Two for One - United MileagePlus & Marriott Rewards

CC they are really weird about things. I seriously doubt they would have given me an extra $1k if I had asked for an increase never mind $17k total. Boggles the mind.
GL next month! Smiley Very Happy
Message 8 of 56
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Re: Chase Two for One - United MileagePlus & Marriott Rewards

@Anonymous wrote:

btw I didnt wait for the 50k miles offer with United bc Im not interested in spending $3k, or $2k with some offers, to get them. 35k miles is enough for a one way business ticket to a few destinations I have in mind and unlike my bad experience with AA miles due to lack of research on my part there's a nice variety of flights offered when using United miles from SFO.

Last but not least since being here I've learned its a bit unrealistic to claim I'm 100% done with applying. Life happens and needs change. I needed a second no FTF option besides Discover since I'll be taking two international trips within the next four months and also wanted the option to easily consolidate limits and close cards later.

This is a great point to bring up. I think there's a tendency around here (and in other credit forums) to emphasize maximizing every bonus, but sometimes it's more important to get the card that meets your needs and normal spending right now.

I got the 50k on $2k spend offer (no statement credit), which is great for me since it fits with my planned spending anyway. But I'm certainly not getting a full 2x the value for 2x the $1k spend your offer requires. Value per dollar required, your offer is the clear winner, and sometimes that is what matters most.

With multiple international trips coming up, you'll also be getting plenty of value out of the free checked bags, and having no FTF in places where Discover is not accepted. Sounds like a great approval that meets your needs on many levels.  Congrats!!

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 9 of 56
-Cal-
Valued Contributor

congrats
Message 10 of 56
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.