Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chase 'gray list' (UPDATE: approved)

tag
gmason
Contributor

Chase 'gray list' (UPDATE: approved)

Interesting application today with Chase and no idea where I stand ... here's what happened.

1. Applied for Chase airline card.

2. 30 day message

3. Called backdoor number immediately and requested recon

The analyst put me on hold twice. Asked several questions.

I have a BK7 set to fall off in September, but wanted to get another Chase card in place since there are other cards that I want in the Fall. Analyst said initial denial was because of BK. This happens every time I request anything with Chase, but just trying to move things forward on a steady basis. Even when the BK falls off my CR in September, I'm sure that Chase will continue to balk. We'll see.

I have a Chase Freedom that is 2 years old and a Chase IHG that is 6 months old. I always PIF with Chase since they were IIB via Providian (I think) and I don't ever plan on carrying a balance with them.

So I thought the call was going well when I was asked about limit I wanted. But then analyst finished up call by saying that it had to go to a senior lender and that I'd hear back within 2 weeks. I'm patient and there is no urgent need. I'll recon again if I don't get a positive response within 2 weeks. Perhaps I'll pay something off to sweeten the CR before late April.

But that is the grayest recon call I've ever had -- very strange. I think that Chase wants to like me but I'm on a list that keeps pushing me away. I really wish that other banks controlled these fantastic CCs (CSP, BA, United, Ink, SWA, ...). Patience.

[UPDATE] I called in today and they said it was approved for my requested limit. Double-pull EX and EQ.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
firetech593
Regular Contributor

Re: Chase 'gray list'

On a positive note, they didn't say no!

Message 2 of 13
gmason
Contributor

@firetech593 wrote:

On a positive note, they didn't say no!

Not no is ok, but strange. I also have to say that the analyst was very pleasant. It was not a frustrating phone call. I'm surprised that they let me back in the door in 2013, but thought things would be better now that I've had 2 of their cards for awhile. They have too much to offer to not keep trying.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

You should call again. This isnt a one shot deal.

Message 4 of 13
gmason
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You should call again. This isnt a one shot deal.

Yes, I'll definitely be calling again, but no rush. It's on my calendar to call back in a few days if I don't get the card. I'm really not in a rush -- this was just a task on the todo list. If I wasn't on their **** list, I'd definitely have 5-6 of their cards by now.

Message 5 of 13
gmason
Contributor

Happy that this is approved.

I called in today and they said it was approved for my requested limit of $10k. Double-pull EX and EQ.

Message 6 of 13
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@gmason wrote:

I called in today and they said it was approved for my requested limit of $10k. Double-pull EX and EQ.

Good job! Congrats.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@gmason wrote:

Congrats!!!

Message 8 of 13
gmason
Contributor

@chalupaman wrote:

@gmason wrote:

Good job! Congrats.

Thanks popamode72 and everybody here. I normally lurk and don't post for long stretches; however, this community has helped me immensely. My story is that 27 months ago, I probably had about $14k in available credit and was at 90% util on most cards and wondering why I couldn't get any new credit. And then I stumbled across this forum and started plotting and planning. I now have about $150k in credit lines, bought a home last Fall, and looking at a completely clean credit report (no baddies -- 2005 bk7 is only baddie) by September. The myFICO community provided so many answers. Thank you.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval! Glad it worked out!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.