Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Citi T.Y.P. question

tag
7PM789
Frequent Contributor

Citi T.Y.P. question

I received a pre approval for the Citi Thank You Preferred card in the mail and the picture of the card on the application is a World MasterCard.

The offer was for a 25,000 point bonus for a $1,000.00 spend over a three month period with an intro apr of %0 for 16 months then an apr of %12.99.

Does that mean that it is an application for the World MasterCard version of the card?
Amex B.C.E. - $2.5k - Amex Everyday - $5k - N.C.F.C.U.M.C. - $5k - Amex Gold - NPSL/35k P.O.T. - Discover It - $12k - Sam's Club M.C. - $10k -
Walmart M.C. - $7.5k - Citi T.Y.P. - $10k- Chase Freedom - $5k - Chase Marriott - $7.4k - U.S. Bank Cash + - $6k -
W.M. TU-781(Jan/15) Citi EQ-782(Dec/14) EX-782(Oct/14)
Audi, Vide, Tace. . .
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Re: Citi T.Y.P. question

Great bonus!

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 2 of 18
myjourney
Super Contributor

Yes it's most likely a World card offer 

Citi has a full blitz marketing campaign going on someone had 8 offers in the mail yesterday for almost all of their cards

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 3 of 18
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Check the fine print. It might say something like 'based on your creditworthiness' blah blah blah
Message 4 of 18
mikey78
Frequent Contributor

World card and SIgnature cards sounds hard to get
(not that i care)
so are you going to go for it??

Current score TU 708, EX 686 EQ 715
Status I.T.Garden Till 08/2014
Message 5 of 18
7PM789
Frequent Contributor

It is tempting but I want to garden until November when I'll have very few inquiries left. The majority of them turn two years and fall off in November.

Although adding a World MasterCard to my wallet is tempting and the sign up bonus is awesome.

I just want the Penfed gas card really bad and have been meticulously tending to the garden.

Anyone know who Citi pulls in N.Y. ?
Amex B.C.E. - $2.5k - Amex Everyday - $5k - N.C.F.C.U.M.C. - $5k - Amex Gold - NPSL/35k P.O.T. - Discover It - $12k - Sam's Club M.C. - $10k -
Walmart M.C. - $7.5k - Citi T.Y.P. - $10k- Chase Freedom - $5k - Chase Marriott - $7.4k - U.S. Bank Cash + - $6k -
W.M. TU-781(Jan/15) Citi EQ-782(Dec/14) EX-782(Oct/14)
Audi, Vide, Tace. . .
Message 6 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@7PM789 wrote:
I received a pre approval for the Citi Thank You Preferred card in the mail and the picture of the card on the application is a World MasterCard.

The offer was for a 25,000 point bonus for a $1,000.00 spend over a three month period with an intro apr of %0 for 16 months then an apr of %12.99.

Does that mean that it is an application for the World MasterCard version of the card?

Basically there are two cards, the Thank You Preferred and the Thank You.   At various times they are available in MC or Visa, depending on the offer.  The Preferred version will be World (or World Elite) or Signature.  The Thank You will be standard.

Almost certainly the offer contains wording to the effect that if you do not meet their standard for Preferred you will be considered for the Thank You.   Apart from losing the Signature/World benefits, there is no difference in rewards.

That offer has a good sign up.   But, IMO, not a particularly good card, with weak rewards and poor redemption options.

Message 7 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mikey78 wrote:

World card and SIgnature cards sounds hard to get
(not that i care)
so are you going to go for it??

Outside of the forum, they are not at all hard to get.   Many people have > 5K limits and issuers are pushing these cards because of increased swipe fees from many merchants.

Message 8 of 18
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@7PM789 wrote:

Basically there are two cards, the Thank You Preferred and the Thank You.   At various times they are available in MC or Visa, depending on the offer.  The Preferred version will be World (or World Elite) or Signature.  The Thank You will be standard.

Almost certainly the offer contains wording to the effect that if you do not meet their standard for Preferred you will be considered for the Thank You.   Apart from losing the Signature/World benefits, there is no difference in rewards.

That offer has a good sign up.   But, IMO, not a particularly good card, with weak rewards and poor redemption options.

+1  I live in NY also and Citi usually pulls ex. actually it seems like most of the big ccc in NY pull ex.

Message 9 of 18
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@mxp114 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@7PM789 wrote:

The ThankYou family of cards are as follows: Citi ThankYou Visa Platinum, Citi ThankYou Platinum MasterCard, Citi ThankYou Preferred World MasterCard, Citi ThankYou Preferred Visa Platinum, Citi ThankYou Premier Visa Signature, Citi ThankYou Premier World MasterCard. World Elite is by upgrade offer only for Preferred or Premier and never upon approval.  For whatever reason there is no Visa Signature edition of the Preferred.

Yes, I omitted the Premier as you won't get that by applying for the Preferred, whereas you might get the Thank You!

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.