cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Costco Amex Approved

tag
crisp1981

Costco Amex Approved

I started on my credit repair journey two years ago, and I had some early successes, but I really wanted a Costco True Earnings American Express. I finally got approved this week for a Costco card with an $11,000 credit line. It's my highest limit yet! It has a 6 mos. 0 percent offer.

I was denied two years ago, and then i was denied again in February. At the time, Amex said my available credit ratio was too high. I had three cards with ratios above 50 percent. Fortunately, I was approved for a Discover It card two months ago ($4000 CL), and I was approved for a USAA MasterCard ($6,000) around that same time. Both cards had 0 percent offers, so i was able to get all my cards below 30 percent utilization.

Apparently Amex pulls Experian, according to my credit file alerts, but I don't know my Experian score. I have 10 credit cards now, but four of them have $0 balances after some recent cosolidations.

ABOUT MY CREDIT

I had a spotty payment history roughly 3 years ago. I had three 30 day past dues and two 60 day past dues all around the same time. I've disputed quite a few other bad items and many have come off, which provided some awesome credit score improvement.

EQ: 706

CK: 721

Cards: Capital One Platinum MC X2; Reward Zone MC: Orchard Bank Visa; Citi Diamond Preferred; Chase Freedom; Bank Americard; USAA MC; Discover IT; Costco True Earnings Amex.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Costco Amex Approved

@crisp1981 wrote:

I started on my credit repair journey two years ago, and I had some early successes, but I really wanted a Costco True Earnings American Express. I finally got approved this week for a Costco card with an $11,000 credit line. It's my highest limit yet! It has a 6 mos. 0 percent offer.

I was denied two years ago, and then i was denied again in February. At the time, Amex said my available credit ratio was too high. I had three cards with ratios above 50 percent. Fortunately, I was approved for a Discover It card two months ago ($4000 CL), and I was approved for a USAA MasterCard ($6,000) around that same time. Both cards had 0 percent offers, so i was able to get all my cards below 30 percent utilization.

Apparently Amex pulls Experian, according to my credit file alerts, but I don't know my Experian score. I have 10 credit cards now, but four of them have $0 balances after some recent cosolidations.

ABOUT MY CREDIT

I had a spotty payment history roughly 3 years ago. I had three 30 day past dues and two 60 day past dues all around the same time. I've disputed quite a few other bad items and many have come off, which provided some awesome credit score improvement.

Cards: Capital One Platinum MC X2; Reward Zone MC: Orchard Bank Visa; Citi Diamond Preferred; Chase Freedom; Bank Americard; USAA MC; Discover IT; Costco True Earnings Amex.

Congrats nice CL too

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 16
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@crisp1981 wrote:

ABOUT MY CREDIT

CONGRATS!!!

This is one of those cards i'm intereste in as well, I have the PRG.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 16
Ron1
Super Contributor

Congrats!!!!  Nice CL!!!!

Ron.

Message 4 of 16
Express
Frequent Contributor

Nice!

Welcome to the Amex Family!  Smiley Very Happy

CL $408,200
Message 5 of 16
solxp
Contributor

congrats the True earnings card has the dubious distinction of being the only card I have been turned down for in 10 years. This is with a 759 score. I am still so pissed about it that I only carry a USAA amex and shred all there mailers unopened. 

Message 6 of 16
crisp1981

I really don't know their reasoning for approving or denying. I saw a nice bump in my score this week after my two Cap One cards reported $0 balances, so i went for it. It seems like people get turned down for this card a lot, and my credit is far from perfect. I only have student loans and credit cards on my file. I hope to finance a car soon, which makes me really scared. Wish me luck!

Message 7 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 8 of 16
longtermgardener
New Contributor

Congratulations!!

Wallet : AMEX Costco TE 23k, BoFA 123 Visa Signature $12.5k, Marriott rewards $5k, Discover IT $1.7k, Walmart Discover $5.5k, Cap 1 Platinum $1500, Amazon $2000

Scores: EQ 712(9/28/13), EX 728 (9/28/13), TU 717 (Credit Karma 10/26/13), TU 753 Walmart (9/03/13)
Last app : 9/28/2013
Message 9 of 16
parakleet
Valued Contributor

Congrats! Not sure if the Costco version is different but when I got my Amex BCP in the mail, it included my EX fico score so maybe you'll find out yours as well!

Gardening since 7/16/14
Current: EQ 711 7/13/14; EX 724 TU 721 6/19/14
Goal: 760+
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.