Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Limit Increase from Capital One

tag
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Limit Increase from Capital One

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been with Capital One for two yrs never late on a payment and they havent Increase my credit limits yet. what should I do. I have ask them about it and they said they couldnt raise it at this time. WHY IS MY ? I HAVE NEVERRRR BEEN LATE

You can wait, which might mean that in 10 years they will give you a CLI.  I ask them all the time.  I closed one account with them because of this after waiting 2 years for a CLI.  I used the card fairly heavily during that time and nothing.  The other account I have with them I don't want to close just yet, I need my other accounts to age for a while.  What is your credit history like?  I opened a rewards card with Barclay and they gave me a $1500 limit and told me after 5 payments they will increase my limit.  I hope this means that I will get regular CLI's, not just the one.  (I have this fear because of Capone policies and I hope they don't have the same.  However, even if it is, that is still a better limit than Capone.)

A few people have mentioned that if you get a card from another bank with a higher limit then Capone notices and increase your limit.  As of yet it has not worked for my account.  I have an account with a $2000 limit (Visa), $2600 limit (MC), a $1500 limit (MC), a Household Bank/Capone card $500 limit, and the Capone card.  I even have a gas card that has given me 2 limit increases in less than a year.  This limit is now higher than Capone!  A store card recently raised my limit from $350 to $650 and I spend so little on it.  My overall credit is 20 times higher than my limit at Capone. 

You basically have to wait for them or get another card.  What is your utilization rate?  If you are thinking of applying for a different card check your score and lower your utilization rate to less than 30% before you apply.  If you have fair credit then try companies who will approve for that score and history.  (GE, WFNNB are easier than Chase, Barclay is between them.)

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 31 of 37
CS800
Super Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

Direct quote from Cap1 letter recently posted:

Capital one does not accept consumer initated CLIs on the majority of their cards.

They give CLIs very infrequently and unpredictably.   Most of their rebuilder cards have a CL ceiling of 2 or 3K which you may or may not ever reach.

+1

I have been told numerous times by even some supervisors that they do not do customer initiated CLI's.

I have a rebuilder with a $1100 CL since 2008, never got a CLI. It's a crapshoot with Cap One. I have tried different ways to show usage but none worked. So it's YMMV pure and simple.

Message 32 of 37
ItchyAppFingers
New Contributor

Actually Capital 1 is partially a sub-prime lender they are also consider prime lenders because they have cards that require "Excellent Credit" such as both of there Venture cards the blue one and the gold one, also there new mastercard greeb cash rewards card has two versions for people with excellent credit and average credit. Those who don't qualify have to go through there "baby steps" cards I mean "credit steps" lol Smiley Tongue
My Current Plastic: {Amazon Store Card} {Amazon Visa} {Amex Zync} {Amex Gold PRG} {Amex BCE} {Bloomingdales} {BOA 123 Cash Rewards} {Capital One Platinum Visa} {Chase Freedom Visa} {Discover IT} {Kohls} {Macy's} {Nordstrom} {SonyCard Visa} {Target RedCard}
Message 33 of 37
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

I have the green cash rewards card and really like it. Fits in to my portfolio quite well and I use it all the time!

Never had any issues with Cap One.

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 34 of 37
firesoul453
Contributor

Although cap1 has some of best basic cash back cards (you can get 1.5% back on everything! Great for all those other purchases that don't qualifty), and they don't have a minimum to cash out with. 

However I am so pissed at them for there horrible credit limits. Its it hurting my credit score. (Spend $350 and I'm over %50 Utilization!)

If it wasn't my first credit card, I'd get rid of it.

My ultimate credit wish,
a JP Morgan Palladium card
Message 35 of 37
Movin_on_up
New Contributor

I got a CapOne secured card last Sep with a limit of $1,100.  Always PIF, never missed and carry about 6% util.  They CLI'd me in July for $300.  No prompting from me.  I've never asked for one.

Never had an issue with customer service...yet.      Smiley Wink

Starting score: EQ FICO 8 702 (1/1/2012)
Current scores: EQ FICO 8: 763 / TU FICO 8: 760 / EX FICO 8: 765

Wallet: Chase Freedom 12K - Discover More 12K - Walmart 1K - Capital One MC 1K
Message 36 of 37
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

One way of getting an increase from them if you have been a customer for a few years is to simply file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau.  I did that and the executive office called me and finally raised my limit from $500 to $2000.  They also removed my AF from the account.  Smiley Surprised

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 37 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.