cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit cards that approve with an account in collections - Update: Savor Approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit cards that approve with an account in collections - Update: Savor Approved

my girlfriend has a hospital bill in collections. We were both under the impression that she couldn’t get a card with it there but today she ended up getting approved for a Kohl’s store card. We are wondering if there’s any cards that will approve her so she can utilize the intro apr offer to pay the bill off.

thanks in advance!

Mod note:  I've updated your subject to reflect your approval; feel free to change/edit if you would like.  --UB

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Credit cards that approve with an account in collections

Does she have a way into Navy Fed?
They instantly approved my GF $17.5k /10.xx% rate with multiple collections and a 604ish TU about 1.5 years ago.
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m assuming the way into navy fed is to have military ties? If so,  no.

Message 3 of 14
Gmood1
Super Contributor

That or government/ contractor ties.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

None of these apply. I appreciate your reply though. 

Message 5 of 14
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Have y'all pulled her FICO scores and does the collection report to all three CBs?
Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

having an account in collections doesnt automatically mean you get turned down for all credit card apps need to see her fico scores also how old is the collection

Message 7 of 14
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

All depends on your profile..  People can pretty much get any card with a collection or two just depending on amount, type of collection how recent and scores among income and other factors.  Hell people just out of BK for 6 months to a year get tons of cards and credit.  Credit is easy to get once you know the "game".  Just do your research and start out with someone like Cap1/Discover then 6 months later explore other banks such as Amex, etc..  

TLDR; collections wont stop a person from getting CC's that know how to do it correctly.

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

All depends on your profile..  People can pretty much get any card with a collection or two just depending on amount, type of collection how recent and scores among income and other factors.  Hell people just out of BK for 6 months to a year get tons of cards and credit.  Credit is easy to get once you know the "game".  Just do your research and start out with someone like Cap1/Discover then 6 months later explore other banks such as Amex, etc..  

TLDR; collections wont stop a person from getting CC's that know how to do it correctly.

Thank you very much for your advise. We filled out a prequal form for cap1 and she was preapproved for a few cards. She chose the Savor and was approved. 9mos 0APR and $150 back after spending $500. PERFECT!

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice! Congrats. But what were her scores? And what is the starting limit? Stick around the forum and you'll see just how much more she can get with the knowledge on here. Also I would post the link but I'm too lazy . You should specifically look into the "rebuilding your credit" forum so that you can get help on how to pay off the medical collection and get it deleted right away if you PIF . also lots more to learn there/here. Best of luck!

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.