Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU Visa approval

tag
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

DCU Visa approval

I was feeling bored at work today.. decided to app for a DCU card, since I don't have anything from them... Pulled Eq, my lowest score @663 - approved!    Is this a decent SL from them ? With this approval, I am going to send a few of my lower limit cards to the shredder - my CapOne QS1 ($2k), Merrick ($1200 that would double next month), and a few others... Just trying to get into some higher CL cards, and get rid of the crap!

image.jpg

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

Re: DCU Visa approval

Congrats! Looks good to me. They show my FICO EQF at 645 and I got declined so you got the magic touch.  And please, chant my name as you shred Crapital One. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 2 of 12
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Congrats OP, it's a great CU IMO, my scores are higher than yours and I was approved with a $5k SL which has yearly gone to $10k, then $15k. I also have two car loans with DCU at 1.49% and 1.74% .

Best thing with that card is the ability to give yourself a short term "payday" loan with no up front fee or extra APR - I use it all the time on the road when I need cash. 

Message 3 of 12
joltdude
Senior Contributor

I would say DCU can be conservative and this is a great SL and a great limit in general for them.. 

Only thing id do different is let the Merrick double in the sock drawer.... then cancel it...

Have you tried for a CLI on the Cap One?  ... Just like the idea of both the merrick and Capone leaving with a CLI reporting on the report...(soft pulls only, of course)...  Ditch them after the increases if there are any... (as long as theres no fee/af due)

Think a congrats is in order....

DCU is big around where I live... Then again. they originally were the DEC Credit Union.... Yes their history is with the computer company.... (Digital Equipment Corp) which is no longer...  

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Super congratulations fltireguy on your DCU approval with a great SL!
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on the nice approval!

Message 6 of 12
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

Congrats OP, it's a great CU IMO, my scores are higher than yours and I was approved with a $5k SL which has yearly gone to $10k, then $15k. I also have two car loans with DCU at 1.49% and 1.74% .

Best thing with that card is the ability to give yourself a short term "payday" loan with no up front fee or extra APR - I use it all the time on the road when I need cash. 

Pipe: iv heard of doing this.. is this because the DCU has no fee CAs, or is it someway else?

Message 7 of 12
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

Pipe: iv heard of doing this.. is this because the DCU has no fee CAs, or is it someway else?

It's one of the "features" - you just transfer from your card to your checking account OR take a cash advance from an ATM (be careful on ATM fees, but they'll refund I think its up to $5 a month on ATM fees too). There is no limit transferring from the card to checking online, but ATM cash advances are limited to a daily limit - not sure exactly what it is, but I've taken $900 in cash on the road a couple of times with no problem. 

There is no grace period for paying interest, which is your regular card APR, but for a 5-7-10 day loan to yourself it's a great benefit IMO. Of course if you abuse this you can run your card up real fast if you don't think of it as a short term loan say less than 2 weeks tops, but as an option for quick cash - think antique shopping, flea markets, collectible auctions like coins, stamps, pens, etc where cash is king you can't beat it unless you want to carry $2-3 thousand in cash you may not need or use.

To be fair my CFCU card also offers this option, but the APR is higher than my DCU card - I've been known to spend a couple of grand on antiques/collectibles when I know I'm getting a great deal (a lot of times I resold quickly for a profit). 

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval!!
They do use Fico4 scores, so may be a little different. That is a good SL from DCU

Message 9 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Great pickup fltireguySmiley Happy
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.