Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISCOVER IT APPROVAL :) NOW WHAT NEXT?

tag
Winfoxee11
Valued Member

DISCOVER IT APPROVAL :) NOW WHAT NEXT?

n August 2015, I started working on my credit. I started monitoring all 3 bureaus and read the forums for months. 569 EQ  519 TU  536 EX. I opened 2 secured cards. 

$200 OpenSky and $250 SDFCU. I rehabbed my student loans successfully and all the negs were removed. I got 3 collections paid for and removed. I have one left that will not fall off for another 2 years. Last year I was approved for VS with a $250 limit and purchased a used car thru BMW Financial. My current scores today are 

663 EQ  681 TU  671 EX. I decided to try for the Discover It card and was immediately given the 5-7 day message. The next day I decided to check the status and was approved with a 4K limit. I also was giving a CLI on my VS. I am thrilled and proud of the hard work I put in to fixing my credit. I honestly wouldn't know where to begin had it not been for this forum. Thanks everyone!

Any suggestions on a few other cc's that I could try with my scores? I really want to try for an AMEX but think I need to be in the 700's. I also travel monthly for work and could use a card that earns miles.

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DISCOVER IT APPROVAL :) NOW WHAT NEXT?

@Winfoxee11 wrote:

n August 2015, I started working on my credit. I started monitoring all 3 bureaus and read the forums for months. 569 EQ  519 TU  536 EX. I opened 2 secured cards. 

$200 OpenSky and $250 SDFCU. I rehabbed my student loans successfully and all the negs were removed. I got 3 collections paid for and removed. I have one left that will not fall off for another 2 years. Last year I was approved for VS with a $250 limit and purchased a used car thru BMW Financial. My current scores today are 

663 EQ  681 TU  671 EX. I decided to try for the Discover It card and was immediately given the 5-7 day message. The next day I decided to check the status and was approved with a 4K limit. I also was giving a CLI on my VS. I am thrilled and proud of the hard work I put in to fixing my credit. I honestly wouldn't know where to begin had it not been for this forum. Thanks everyone!

Any suggestions on a few other cc's that I could try with my scores? I really want to try for an AMEX but think I need to be in the 700's. I also travel monthly for work and could use a card that earns miles.

Congrats on the approval and successful credit rebuild.

You don't have to have scores in the 700s to get approved for an American Express card.  A 671 EX score, assuming that the one collection is the only 'baddie' on your report, will get you approved for most of their cards.  Check AMEX's prequalified site and see if anything shows up.  If so, that will be a good indicator of your chances for approval.  What airline do you normally travel on for work?  A different card than what Amex offers may be better, depending on the airline.

Message 2 of 15
Winfoxee11
Valued Member

Thank you.

I fly mostly Jetblue, Alaska/Virgin and occasionally United. And yes the collection is my only baddie.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Winfoxee11 wrote:

Thank you.

I fly mostly Jetblue, Alaska/Virgin and occasionally United. And yes the collection is my only baddie.

Amex MR points do transfer to JetBlue so any of the MR earning cards would work.  They are the EveryDay and EveryDay Preferred revolving credit cards and the Green, the Premier Rewards Gold and Platinum charge cards.  People often apply for both a revolver and charge card at the same time but that is something that you will have to look into and I will be glad to help you with any questions.

Alaskan Airline cards are issued by Bank of American and United Airlines is a Chase partner. 

Message 4 of 15
drboxing
Established Contributor

Try the AMEX Delta Gold I was recently approved for $1000, my scores are not in the 700's

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@drboxing wrote:
Try the AMEX Delta Gold I was recently approved for $1000, my scores are not in the 700's

No, she shouldn't apply for a card just because she might get approved for it.  No where did she state that she flies on Delta so the card could very well be useless.  Far too many people on this forum apply for the Amex Delta card because they are told it's the easiest Amex to get approved for which isn't entirely true in the first place.  Second, amost importantly, only apply for credit cards that you can use for their intended purposes, not just to get an 'in' with a creditor.  You'll end up with a card that you don't use, a HP and a drop in your AAoA for nothing.  Their is no value to having an Amex card just to have one.  I say that as a person with 7 of their cards.

Message 6 of 15
drboxing
Established Contributor

I was just mentioning it that's all. Didn't mean to offend anyone

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@drboxing wrote:
I was just mentioning it that's all. Didn't mean to offend anyone

I didn't mean to suggest that you offended anyone.  If I did, I apologize. I know that you're trying to help, which is a good thing and please don't let my response dissuade you from doing so in the future.

It's just that that advice to apply for that particular card for people seeking their first Amex is given out here frequently and in many cases, it's not good advice.  If the card is good for your needs, that great and I hope that you put it to good use. 

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you think it would fit your needs I would try Amex as I've seen decent approval odds with your score. I had a 663 EX and pretty thin file when I first applied for the BCE and received a 5,000 CL.  BCE is a great everyday spend card... 

Message 9 of 15
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@Winfoxee11 wrote:

Thank you.

If you fly mostly Jetblue you can try the Jetblue Card through Barclays. And Recon with them is usually pretty easy. And they Pull TU.

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.