cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover $51,500 ! (Update: $54,500)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover $51,500 ! (Update: $54,500)

@Themanwhocan -- what's your non-CC relationship with Discover like?  Do you have a checking and/or savings account with them, or any personal loans or HELOCs with the bank/

Message 41 of 45
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover $51,500 !

@Anonymous wrote:

@

I never go to high card utilization, and always pay in full. I ask for CLI's and if they arent available, I accept that. So many people think they can get a Discover card and then expect CLi's every month, when it usually doesnt work that way until you have at least a years experience with the card. But it doesn't hurt to request a CLI when its just a SP.

Its just a matter of researching the best way to request CLI's with each creditor, and using that as part of your strategy. getting high limits was always a low priority for me, the cash back rewards and growing my FICO score were much more important, but that doesn't mean you can't also request a CLI or APR reduction occasionally.

PS: and I dont have $400K+ credit limits. Only $399,100 so far Smiley Wink

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 42 of 45
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover $51,500 ! (Update: $54,500)

@Anonymous wrote:

@Themanwhocan -- what's your non-CC relationship with Discover like?  Do you have a checking and/or savings account with them, or any personal loans or HELOCs with the bank/

I have a Discover checking account, but I don't use it. it has less than $30 in it.

Total $443,800
Message 43 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Themanwhocan wrote:

I dont have $400K+ credit limits. Only $399,100 so far Smiley Wink

Too funny!  Love it.  As for your CLI requests, do you have a method for timing them, or is it random?  For example, do you PIF, refrain from spending until closing, wait until it posts to the CRAs, and then request?  Do you just do it every month on the same day of the month?  Or the same number of days before/after account closes/reports? Clearly you have a formula! lol and any insight would be most appreciated Smiley Happy  Also, do you practice the same habits across all your cards?  If not, how might they vary?  I'm probably most intrigued by the Chase Freedom, AmEx, NFCU, and BoAs.  Deep down Disney, too, though I'm trying to stay away! lol

Message 44 of 45
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Themanwhocan wrote:

I dont have $400K+ credit limits. Only $399,100 so far Smiley Wink

Too funny!  Love it.  As for your CLI requests, do you have a method for timing them, or is it random?  For example, do you PIF, refrain from spending until closing, wait until it posts to the CRAs, and then request?  Do you just do it every month on the same day of the month?  Or the same number of days before/after account closes/reports? Clearly you have a formula! lol and any insight would be most appreciated Smiley Happy  Also, do you practice the same habits across all your cards?  If not, how might they vary?  I'm probably most intrigued by the Chase Freedom, AmEx, NFCU, and BoAs.  Deep down Disney, too, though I'm trying to stay away! lol

I have an Alliant installment loan to boost my FICO scores. And I try to optimize the utilization on all cards as best I can before applying for more cards or for CLI requests.

Other than that, everything varies based on the creditor. Discover I currently request a SP CLI every month, usually a few days after my statement is generated. I used to apply every 16 days when the Discover gravy train was running, and before that I couldnt get any SP CLI during my first year with Discover, but I did request CLi with HP twice that first year accepting a HP. I use my HP's strategically, not wanting to have too many on each credit report at any one time, yet I feel that not using HPs is also a waste.

With Chase I waited to apply until I had a card with $5000 limits and my scores were as good as I could get them at the time, because getting a CLI with Chase is very unlikely unless you have a very low limit and are willing to burn more HPs. I do have the Chase Disney card, but mainly for the sign up bonus and to combine the limit into another Chase card one of these days. AARP was going to be my restaurant card, but I seem to be collecting 3% restaurant cards these days, so it too will probably be combined to get a high limit on my Freedom card eventually.

With Barclay I used HP's for CLI requests at 6 month intervals, which never worked. I then called backdoor numbers and asked if a SP CLI ws available on my cards, and was quite successful with that for a while. And I occasionally combine cards with Barclay.

With FNBO I called every 4 months to see if a SP CLI was available, since using the online request results in a HP. I was able to get a combined $36k+ over 2 cards that way. Then when one co-branded card was being closed/replaced by FNBO, I called and got the 2 card limits combined. 6 months later I called and accepted a HP and requested a $50K limit, and after proof of income requests and such, that was granted. So I'm satisfied with that.

With Citi (closed by me before annual fee was due) and Synchrony, I called as soon as I received the cards and asked for a very large CLI right away.

With US Bank I asked for $1500 CLI per card every 6 months. Eventually I used a HP for a large request on one card. I appear to be at my credit limit based on income with them now.

With Bank of America, I did ask for a CLI once via HP. But that was probably a mistake, as I want multiple BBR cards from them, and not one high limit card. So my approach with them has changed.

With BBVA Compass, I requested a HP CLI after a year, and it was denied. Probably because I dont use that card. That card is probably going to be closed eventually, so its not important to me, I only requested a CLI for curiosity sake, and because I felt my credit report could take a HP at the time without affecting any of my plans.

With Target credit card, I received a CLI after 4 months with about $50 total usage over that time period. Sometimes you just get lucky. I do update my income every year, hoping that might trigger a review and a CLI, but since I dont spend much on the card I don't expect an increase.

With NFCU I received a $24K limit, so trying for a SP CLI is rather pointless since I hear they only go to $25k via that route. So I'm using the card frequently, waiting 6+ months, and will use a HP to request the maximum. Eventually I want a $50k limit on this card. And no, I have no real reason for needing such a high limit. 

So, I'm a believer in knowing which creditors have a method for SP CLI, and then IF those creditors have a card you can use, you can incorporate that into your set of cards. Otherwise, use HPs strategically for either new cards and Signup bonuses, and after that for strategic CLI's. Getting a large number of cards with low limits is bad, since you will have to spend so many HPs and so much tme trying to increase them, that its better to start with a few cards that can grow, and work on growing them and showing creditors that you can handle high limits, and simultaneously growing your FICO score, and THEN start getting cards that will start with higher limits, etc.

Total $443,800
Message 45 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.