Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Approval with Baddies!

tag
parkman
Regular Contributor

Discover Approval with Baddies!

So this actually went down earlier this month, on 12/14, but I just haven't had time to post anything about it due to the holidays.  You know how it goes.

The last card I was approved for was the Barclay NFL card back in October, with a $1,900 limit.  Not great, but with my TU FICO at 672 and 4 collections on my report from 2007, I was just happy to be in with Barclay, and with my highest limit yet!  Took advantage of the sign-up bonus, and then did a 0% BT with them.  Hope to get an auto-CLI at 4-6 months.

Since then, I had received 2 offers for BOA and Citi, both of which I applied for, and both of which were denied, due to the collections.

So at this point I had decided to garden.  I was going to garden until August of next year - at that point, all of the baddies would be off of all of my reports, and I'd have a clean record, with <10% utilization, and around 6 years AAOA.  I was going to go after the prime lenders (with the exception of Chase, which is where my worst collection was from.)

But I just couldn't fight that itch.  You know which one.  The one where you just can't get that desire to apply, whether approved or denied, out of your head.  That itch where you kinda hope you get denied, so you don't take the hit to your AAOA, and you don't have to explain ANOTHER card coming in the mail to DW/DH.  Where you hope you get approved, to help out your utilization, so you can BT from a higher APR card, so you can have another prime lender in your wallet/purse/sockdrawer.  The kind of thoughts you use to justify applying in the first place.  That risk-reward feeling.

I couldn't get Discover out of my head.  I just wanted one.  I was attracted to the 5% categories.  I had Capital One and Barclays, but I wanted a Discover.  I know I had no business applying.  My score was >700, I had collections on my reports, I had just recently been denied credit lines by 2 other lenders.  I knew I had to let my baddies and my recent inquiries age a little bit more.

But I just couldn't help myself.  I really think I need help, and DW wasn't available to talk me out of it.

So I bit the bullet and went to the Discover website.  My heart was racing, my palms sweaty.  Why was I so nervous?

Filled out the info.  Double checked that everything was correct.  Clicked submit.

Waited.

Waited.

Waited.

Waited for that 7-10 days message, or that outright denial, you'll get a letter in the mail message.

And then...

Congratulations!

My jaw nearly hit the floor.  How the...

I was shocked, but somehow in my shock I was able to set up my online account.  I guess Discover doesn't tell you your limit right away, but in setting up my e-mail alerts, one of the options was "alert me when my balances reach <$6800>" 

Holy cannoli, my largest limit was a $2800 Care Credit, how in the world did I get what I assumed to be $7000?!  From Discover?

I registered everything online, and then broke the news to my wife.  She was just as shocked as me, and a little upset that I didn't consult her first.  But when I told her my limit, she forgot all about it.

I couldn't stop thinking about it.  I wondered about my limit.  Could it really be so high for someone like me?  I knew that I could just call Discover and ask what my limit was, but I was afraid that I would call and they would say that they've made some kind of mistake, that I don't qualify for such a line of credit, or at all, and here, let me take everything back, and you'll get your denial letter in the mail explaining why you suck so much.  Silly, I know, but I still didn't call.

Every time I tried to log into my account, or the Discover app, I got the message that they were "still setting up" my page.  When I was finally able to log in, several days later, I saw that I had a limit of $7,500!  Sweet!

A few days later, I got my letter, no, package, in the mail.  Very nice packaging, by the way, made me feel special.  Activated the card with a quick phone call, must be a special activation line, because the rep asked me if I was calling to activate my card.  Saw the accompanying letter.  They pulled Equifax (seriously, who pulls EQ?) and I had a FICO of 688.

Summary/TL;DR:  I applied for a Discover whilst having 4 collections on my account, around 20% utilization, and a EQ FICO of 688, and I was approved with a $7,500 credit line!

Epilogue:  I saw that I could get a $50 statement credit if I referred a friend and they were approved.  So I convinced DW to apply so that we could both get the $50 statement credit.  She applied and was approved.  The funny thing is that she has 0 baddies, perfect payment history, same income, a higher EQ FICO at around 730, higher existing credit limits, yet she "only" got a $6,500 credit line.  Maybe it was the utilization.

Anyway, happy hunting!

All I have for this forum is bubblegum and anecdotal evidence, and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
DaniBananiie
Established Contributor

Re: Discover Approval with Baddies!

Congrats!!!!!!!! I hate to be rude, but which APR did you get? I'm so happy that they have you an awesome starting limit even though you have baddies that are old. Yay Discover!
 photo IT_REDDAISY_zps2c12a8e3.gif
Message 2 of 21
Goal850
Regular Contributor

Congrats!
Message 3 of 21
unusuallyconfused
Regular Contributor

Long story short, as somebody who has been in the same position as you and finally getting that "you're approved" message instead of the dreaded "7-10" message is an AMAZING feeling. 

All I can say to you is congratulations!

...and pay your bills early and pay them often!

USAA Rewards VISA (7,500 - 03/2013) / DiscoverIT (6500 - 03/2013) / Cap One Platinum MC (2750 - 03/2013) / Credit One Platinum VISA (750 - 03/2013) / First Premier Bank MC (300 - 02/2013) / FingerHut/WEBBANK (5200.00 - 02/2013) / Victoria's Secret/Comenity (1500 - 03/2013) / PayPal Smart Connect/GECRB (2900 - 03/2013) / Lowe's/GECRB (2800 - 03/2013) / Amazon.com/GECRB (4500 - 03/2013) / Chevron Texaco/GECRB (1950 - 03/2013) / J.C. Penney/GECRB (2150 - 02/2013) / Target (750 - 07/2013) / Abercrombie & Fitch/Comenity (1850 - 07/2013) / CareCredit/GECRB (4500 - 08/2013) / DCU Visa (2000 - 11/2013) / NFCU Sig cashRewards Visa (7000 - 11/2013) - MilitaryStar/Chase (4700 /12/2013)

Message 4 of 21
parkman
Regular Contributor

@DaniBananiie wrote:
Congrats!!!!!!!! I hate to be rude, but which APR did you get? I'm so happy that they have you an awesome starting limit even though you have baddies that are old. Yay Discover!

Thanks to everyone.  To answer your question, I think it was somewhere around 17%, but I'm not quite sure...

All I have for this forum is bubblegum and anecdotal evidence, and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Message 5 of 21
DaniBananiie
Established Contributor

Parkman: I'd totally take that APR for that starting limit!!! I apped on the 22nd, and I got $3800 at 14.99. Lol
 photo IT_REDDAISY_zps2c12a8e3.gif
Message 6 of 21
ptilda
Established Contributor

Nice! congrats!

My Wallet:Fidelity Amex $1K, DCU $3.9K, US Bank AeroMexico $300, Quicksilver $1.3K, Cap1 secured MC $750, DiscoverIT $200, Care Credit $5K, Sportsman Guide Visa $3K, Kay $3K, Jared $3K,American Airlines CC $3K, Amazon $2.9k, Walmart $2.2k, Macy's $800 revolving/$5k furniture, Comenity retail cards $5.55kStarting Score: 618Current Score: 711
Message 7 of 21
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Congrats to you and DW! Thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 8 of 21
baller4life
Super Contributor

Congrats that's awesome!
Message 9 of 21
Involver
Valued Contributor

Congrats! I know the feeling, i just took the plunge a couple weeks back with some old baddies knowing it was a stretch and got instant approval also. The package sure does feel nice. Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.