Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI (Carrying Balance) - Data Point

tag
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Discover CLI (Carrying Balance) - Data Point

I know this isn't anything 'new', but I just wanted to contribute my Discover CLI details.

I got my card back in July; in October I took them up on a balance transfer offer for $3500, and I'm taking my time paying it down (since I'm also on a new account 0% promo, I don't pay interest on new purchases until July).  In November I gave the 'button' a try, and was pleasantly surprised when they gave me a $500 CLI.

I planned to not even bother with the 'button' until the account is PIF this summer, but my curiosity got the best of me, and I gave it a try today... and got another $500.  My current balance is around $4k, and I'm making payments of $200-$400 each month but also using it heavily as my 'general spend' card.  Again, I plan to have it PIF before the new account promo is over.  (I tend to take full advantage of my 0% promos... just a personal preference.)

So, the 'take-away' here is that even if you are carrying a significant balance, if you're paying more than the minimum each month there's still a chance for a SP CLI.  Note that my FICO is 715, and is inching up 1-2 points each month as my final 'baddie' is about to age off in a few months.  Also note that had they informed me a HP was necessary, I would have declined and simply waited until I get the account PIF, at which time I'm hoping for a more significant increase anyway. 

Hope this helps somebody!  Smiley Wink

(My initial credit line was $5500, then raised to $6000, then today increased to $6500.)

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover CLI (Carrying Balance) - Data Point

Great info!!!!!

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the increase...and thanks for the data point.Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 14
SisterGirl
Established Contributor

Mine is stuck at $5500, but that's okay.....next quarter I will make them "love" me again because I'm going to kick it on Amazon & some amazing restaurants !

SisterGirl
Message 4 of 14
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Nice one UncleB

I been carrying a little BT balance to complete the loop of all possible methods for one of those mother load CLI's but i still get a routine $500 increase every 91+ days.

That's OK though because something is always better than a blank. Especially with a SP.

Message 5 of 14
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

Thanks 4 sharing........

Message 6 of 14
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

Congrats on your CLI's and thank you for sharing !

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I appears that I'm on Discover's special alternating 91 day / 31 day program. Smiley LOL

Message 8 of 14
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

Nice Congrats!!!! 

Message 9 of 14
alextercero
Super Contributor

Congrats

Current Credit Cards

Currently rebuilding as of (May 2021)

Current Fico Scores 8/9: (April 2024)

Credit Age:

Inquiries:

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.