Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover CLI - Conversation with CSR

tag
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Discover CLI - Conversation with CSR

I am now eligible for a CLI. So, I called Discover and asked if one could be given with a SP only. My conversation went as follows:

Me: I would like to know if I could receive a CLI with a SP, I do not want a hard inq now.

CSR: CLI require an application. We will need to know your income, employment and need to know the reason for the increase and the amount requested.

Me: application? That sounds like you will pull my credit report

CSR: First, we will see if we can get an approval based on the information. If further review is required, then I must request and receive permission to review a copy of your credit report. You can ask for a specific amount or leave it blank. If left blank, the computer will give an amount which could be as low as $100.

Me: ok, what if I ask for an amount and its granted but the computer would have giving me more if I left it as none stated?

CSR: The amounts for none stated is limited. If you need a significant increase then its best to ask for an amount.

Me: ok, I am going vacation in a few months. I love using the card and wish to have a good time. I am requesting double my CL.

At this point, I provide the gross annual income, housing information etc.

CSR: Unfortunately, the computer is not giving an accept. May I have your permission to view a copy of your cr? Or would you like me to withdraw your request?

Me: What does withdraw mean for potential increase requests?

CSR: An approved/ declined CLI would bar you from another increase for 6 months. A withdrawn means its like it never happened and it'll be deleted.

Me: So, later this week or next month I may try again?

CSR: Yes, your request was simply withdrawn.

Me: am I still eligible for auto-CLI?

CSR: yes, the computer randomly grants auto CLI via SP and those amounts are usually $100-$500 -and can occur anytime, 6 mos-1yr.

Me: Then, I will withdraw my request.

Granted my util is almost 40% on the card now ( PIF next week- NY trip hit me hard) so I knew my chances were slim to none but I was bored.

Hope this information helps.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: Discover CLI - Conversation with CSR

Is it after the 6th statement or 6 months to request for CLI? Thanks for the info!
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 3 of 16
revvystoke
Frequent Contributor

I did a HP cli in April, I called in last week to see if I could get a SP cli, but they wanted to pull my CR. I declined and logged in the next day and they gave me $500, bringing it to $4k. Mid cycle so I doubt it was a auto-cli. No HP showing.

AkAir $50k | Marriott $65k | Local CU $8k
TU: 770 / EQ: 748 / EX: 769
Message 4 of 16
frugalQ
Valued Contributor

Great information.

Just an FYI....I was given an auto CLI of $1,500. So, his/her fact about about 100-500 is incorrect. I guess it's a YMMV thing.
AmEx Green NPSL | Amex BCP 16K | Citi Simplicity 10k | Discover IT 9K | Chase Slate 7.5K | Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass 7K | Capital One QuickSilver 6K | Home Depot 5k | Chase Freedom 4.5K | LOC 2.5K
Message 5 of 16
myjourney
Super Contributor

Great info 

Thanks LexieSmiley Wink

I will be using it in 5 1/2 months Lol

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 16
joshuapd1987
Frequent Contributor

Lexie - I just want to put it out there... That I enjoy every single one of your posts. Do you have a fan club I can join?

(Sorry for the hijack. Carry on.)
MyFICO Scores: 720 (EX 10/05) | 718 (EQ 10/05) | 703 (TU 10/05)| | Amex Plat NPSL | Amex PRG NPSL | Amex Business Gold NPSL | Chase Sapphire Preferred 22,000 | Chase Freedom 20,000 | Walmart 15,000 | Amex Delta Reserve 12,900 | Chase Ritz 10,000 | Diner's Club Elite 10,000 | NASA Platinum Rewards 8,800 | Capital One Quicksilver 2,500
Message 7 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@joshuapd1987

Why thank you! No, fan club - just happy to be a contributing member of the forum.
Message 8 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@frugalQ

Yea, I figured it was an estimate on his part.
Message 9 of 16
dodfire
Valued Contributor

So, I am wondering.......

If you do not request a specific amount......and the computer approves you for a low limit increase...lets say.. $250

Can you then "withdraw" your request and it appear as it never happened as the CSR said?

*8/10/13
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.