Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover Credit Limit Increase

tag
ccole93
New Contributor

Re: Discover Credit Limit Increase

Yeah but it never works for me. It just tells me to call the customer care center. I did and the guy was surprisingly helpful and immediately transferred me over to their application recon department when it was pending. Chase wasn't quite as nice. The lady told me I have too many recent credit inquiries and that I'll have to wait. She sounded freaking cranky though.

From left to right: NPSL; $10k; $6.2k; $4.5k; $4k; $3.5k; $2.75k; $2.3k
Other CCs: $2.5k American Eagle Visa, $2.2k Old Navy Visa, $1.7k Amazon Store; $1.55k BillMeLater; $800 B&N CC; $750 A&F CC
Message 11 of 22
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

Congrats! baby steps will get you there. 

Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 12 of 22
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@ccole93 wrote:

I did what you guys suggested and called Discover to request an increase, bringing me to $1000. I didn't want to be too demanding so I figured that was a good step. They had to review my application and a few minutes later my account was instantly updated. Smiley Happy I tried Capital One but of course they turned me down. I may give my Chase Freedom a shot since they rejected me from the Sapphire.

Should I have tried a higher limit with Discover? When he approved me I was thinking "darn, I might've gotten $2000 or maybe more!" Oh, and he asked some mildly personal questions I wasn't expecting.

1. Why do you want the increase? (I told him I wanted more flexibility and to build my accounts. Good answer?)

2. What do you do at your job?

3. When do you expect to graduate from college?

4. What is your degree program?

I told him I'm going to vet school and he was like "ooo!" Lol

Congrats on your CLI!

I think you were wise to be a bit conservative in your request.  We read over and over about folks that want more and don't get it, then are disappointed. From your signature, you're growing your accounts and starting out small is NOT a bad thing.  As others have said here at this forum, patience is an asset in credit building.  You got a good CLI, work that Discover card to your advantage.  Use it.. a LOT! But not so much that you can't pay in full.  PIF for a few months, get a good history going with Discover, and my bet is you might have more success in the future and possibly an auto-CLI!

Message 13 of 22
ccole93
New Contributor

Thank you very much!!! Smiley Very Happy I'm going away to school this fall so I need to be extra careful with my cards to make sure I can pay them off.

Other CCs: $2.5k American Eagle Visa, $2.2k Old Navy Visa, $1.7k Amazon Store; $1.55k BillMeLater; $800 B&N CC; $750 A&F CC
Message 14 of 22
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Well done, Congrats! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 15 of 22
ccole93
New Contributor

Thanks!!! I went on a bit of a credit card spree this week, lol. I need to relax. AMEX still denied me and I just got denied by Citi. Waaa. I'm not going to bother with recon on either because I hear they're both a pain.

Message 16 of 22
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

It's easier to get an Amex than a Citi card imo lol

Getting a Citi card is almost harder than winning the lottery imo.
Damn, they are intense. Lol and recon took two months, plus they hp'ed me like three times. Eek
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 17 of 22
AnthonyFL91
New Visitor

I have been a Discover Card member since July of 2010. I requested a credit limit increase almost every 6 months since then. I've had a 500.00 CL since 2010. Everytime I requested a CLI, they would decline me. Today, after almost 3 years of being a card member, I called Discover to ask them why after three years with a credit score of 708 with Experian, 691 with Equifax, and 691 with Transunion I still have the same credit limit. I spoke with a credit analyst who pulled my Transunion report. He asked me if my house was paid off and why I wanted the line increase. I told them that the house was paid off and that I want the CLI because I would like to use the card more often to pay my monthly expenses. Soooooooo after three minutes on the line, the analyst said "Okay I am going to approve your request for 5,000.00." 

Message 18 of 22
mauve
Valued Contributor

Nice!

I asked for a CLI the other month on their web site for some large amount and the website countered with "We can do a further review with a hard pull or give you a $500 increase" (OK, so I'm just paraphrasing, really - don't remember the wording, but that's what I got out of it). I took the $500 increase and ran.

Starting Score: EQ 583 TU04 619 EX 592 (lender pull) 2010
Previous High Score: EQ 700 TU04 712 EX 726
Current Score: EQ 740 TU(Discover) 750 EX(AMEX) 747
Goal Score: 740+ all around

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 22
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@mauve wrote:

Nice!

I asked for a CLI the other month on their web site for some large amount and the website countered with "We can do a further review with a hard pull or give you a $500 increase" (OK, so I'm just paraphrasing, really - don't remember the wording, but that's what I got out of it). I took the $500 increase and ran.

LOL. My luv button is unavailable. They always tell me to call CSR...

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.