cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT! Am I really approved!? (+MINI APP SPREE)

tag
gnay
Valued Member

Discover IT! Am I really approved!? (+MINI APP SPREE)

To explain a bit of my credit history, I have an AAOA of 0 years 2 months with just one secured credit card from Capital One ($200) and NOTHING else. 

Had no credit history whatsoever before, and was denied every single Credit Card that I applied to (even the Chevron gas card!) last winter.

Opted to go with secured route after being rejeced by about 5 other cards.

So here I am, with 2 months of AAOA, less than 20% util, paid in full for 2 months.

Before apping, Credit Karma gave me a score of 730Smiley Surprised (now dropped to 667...)

Decided to go mini app spree last week (just for heck of it, now that it's been about 3 months since I last apped), and apped in the following order.

1. Discover IT - Got 7? 30? days message

2. Walmart - Instantly approved with $400 (Great!)

3. Chase Slate - Got 30 days message (Was denied Freedom back in October. Have checking account with them)

4. Citi Forward Student - Got 7 days message (Today, it changed to "check within 24 hours"?????)

5. Barclay Travlocity - Denied Instantly. (Going to call backdoor number and beg)

Just few hours ago, I checked the status of my application for Discover IT card, and I couldn't believe what I was seeing!

Really!? Did they just approve me!?

I do not know what the CL is yet, nor if i'm approved through some sort of counter-offer.

Is this some kind of system glitch or what...

Anyone with similar experience?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Re: Discover IT! Am I really approved!? (MINI APP SPREE)

Congrats!! Discover was good to me in the beginning of my credit build. They took a chance on me when nobody else would and gave me 1500 which I could not believe!

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 2 of 12
gnay
Valued Member

They denied me for their Discover More Card when I applied with them couple months back due to my having a thin file.

After two months of credit history, boom! so much for YMMV!

Message 3 of 12
bahbahd
Established Contributor

@gnay wrote:

They denied me for their Discover More Card when I applied with them couple months back due to my having a thin file.

After two months of credit history, boom! so much for YMMV!

I think this is exactly representative of YMMV.

Message 4 of 12
chnceit
Valued Contributor

Re: Discover IT! Am I really approved!? (+MINI APP SPREE)

Congrats on the Discover and good luck on the recons I hope you get it! Chase and Barclay are great on recon some times they just need to speak to a live person. Keep us posted then meet you in the garden!!

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 5 of 12
eviLution
Established Contributor

Don't you need at least a year of credit history to get credit from Chase? Possibly 10 months if you have a bit of history with them through checking with some money in the bank?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 6 of 12
trishdadish
Regular Contributor

It just goes to show ya'.....

Almost always, rules are made to be broken/modified/adapted. Which is a great, when we turn out to be the beneficiaries!

Congrats and welcome to Discover! Of all the cards that I have, Discover (with their 18 months interest free accts) is my favorite. I hope to ask them for a CLI in the coming months, so that I can use them even more. My 2nd fave is Amex Zync and Amex, generally.

All 3 bureaus (per Amex CreditSecure FAKO) are still 748 (as of 12/19/13). Cards: Discover It, $12,100, Chase Freedom $3,300, Chase Amazon $1,500, Walmart store $11,000, AMEX Zync NPSL, Costco Amex $14,700. US. Bank Cash +, $5,000. AMEX SPG $6,000, PenFed Plat. Cash Rewards $17,500, PenFed P-LOC $10,000, Citi Forward $5,100, Chase Slate $5,000, Old Navy, $2,200.
Message 7 of 12
WallyxD
Frequent Contributor

If you don't mind, what is your annual income? Because I want to apply for either the Discover It for Students or the Citi Forward for Students, but I'm nervous my income won't be sufficient enough. 

AE CC: $1,050 | AEO Visa: $1,890 | Cap1 QS: $2,100 | Chase Freedom: $1,000 | Citi Forward: $1,500 | Citi Double Cash: $1,000 | Discover iT: $500 | GameStop: $1,650 | Overstock: $1,700 | PayPal Smart Connect: $1,500 | Walmart $2,200

TU (Discover): 663 | EQ (Citi): 651
Message 8 of 12
CredittotheMax
Frequent Contributor

@WallyxD wrote:

If you don't mind, what is your annual income? Because I want to apply for either the Discover It for Students or the Citi Forward for Students, but I'm nervous my income won't be sufficient enough. 

The income doesn't really matter that much since you're applying for a student card. As long as you make 5k above, you should be fine.

$5k$4.5k$2.8k$8k$500
FICO = EQ: 786 (1/15) TU:774 (2/15) EX: 767 (2/15)
Message 9 of 12
nickn86
Contributor

@eviLution wrote:
Don't you need at least a year of credit history to get credit from Chase? Possibly 10 months if you have a bit of history with them through checking with some money in the bank?

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well Chase was my first credit card ever and I got it with no credit history whatsoever other than three month old student loans.  I was a grad student though and they approved me for a student card which is no longer offered.  I don't know how different the underwriting standards were from their current entry cards.

Chase Sapphire Preferred - 5.6k (3/13) | Amex Premier Rewards Gold - NPSL (1/13) | Chase United MileagePlus Explorer Visa Signature - 9k (1/13) | Amex Delta Gold - 6k (9/12) | Citi Forward Visa - 10k (10/12) | Discover It - 2k (2/12) | Chase +1 Visa - $300 (2/11)
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.