Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT Card approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover IT Card approval

Hello Everyone, this is my first post but figured i'd share my success story. A few years ago my wife and I were looking in to building our first house, so we had to start looking in to our credit. Got some things cleaned up and Last yr applied through a creditone bank pre approval card, got a 300 dollar cl on it. (sidebar we did a pre-approval once for our house purchase and was approved did it again and all of a sudden i had no scores reporting so this card was right on time in August when we got the card) it starts reporting we do little purchases like groceries here and there. Fast forward a few months we close on our house 12/30/2015 Brand new built from the ground up yay!. So shoutout to credit one for helping start that journey, as everybody knows though im sure they have high rates and also annual fees so i have been wanting to get a different CC now that ive had that one for over a year. with creditone cc i have gotten two small CLI one up to 500 another up to 750 and thats what its at today. Back in I believe it was May or June i applied for a lowes cc. Got approved same day 1500.00 cl nice i can buy some things around our new house and its also going to help me when i finish my basement later this yr. On to yesterday and the subject of the post. Probably for a month now i have been getting chase, capital one and discover card offers. just about 2 come a week it seemed like. Family is going on vacation next month to washington DC so i figured id go ahead and see if i could add another card to the wallet. deciding between the three discover IT had the best benefits longest term of no apr and lowest APR after term of 0% was up so i applied yesterday. Oh quick backstory on that, i had to buy some things on my credit one bank card so i actually had maxed it out for a second, paid off most of that and shoutout to myfico for tracking that the moment that payment posted is what i was waiting for to apply for a new card, which happened to be yesterday. I go through the discover website with the invitation # they give and im APPROVED!! woohoo. 5,500.00 CL at that. I want to give multiple thanks to all the people that have reviewed and left summaries and approval stories for the discover it card, it seems like a great card to have. A little leary about all the places that do...or should i say maybe dont, accept discover but 9.3 million merchants or so do so hopefully i dont run in to anything major not taking it :-)

Thanks again!

Current credit scores EQ - 684 (judgement that they wont take off that TU and EX has already Smiley Sad ) TU 714 EX 708

9 REPLIES 9
Maxi11510
Contributor

Re: Discover IT Card approval

Congrats!!!! I remember when I was approved! I did the happy dance all day. Wishing you the best on your credit card journey. 

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulatons! Discover is a favorite of mine!

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats. I'm waiting on my secured version to come in the mail. It's a good feeling. 

Message 4 of 10
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Awesome approval!. Thats a super nice sl with Discover. I wish you all the best with your house hunting and suchSmiley Happy

Just a small note, please try to break down into paragraphs if possible as it helps read easier long posts for some Smiley Wink. Thanks for sharing your story enjoy your new DiscoverSmiley Happy

Message 5 of 10
brother7
Established Contributor

Wonderful story!

I like this kind of story more than the "I applied for 5 cards in one day" type of story.

If I kept track of everything, you now have 3 credit cards (Credit One secured, Lowes, Discover it) and a mortgage.

If I may give some unsolicited advice on your future credit steps:

1. Every 4th statement, apply for a CLI with Discover. I do this every 91 days exactly but if you're not OCD like me, every 4th statement is close enough. Though you may not need more credit, a higher CL with help your utilization and thus your credit score.
  2. In 6 months, say after Discover's 6th statement cuts, apply for a 2%-cashback-on-everything card. I like Citi Double Cash. With Discover + 2% card, you have most of your spending buckets covered. At this point, I'd probably sockdrawer the Credit One. It has served it's purpose.

I like spacing out credit card apps 6 months apart. It keeps me from making impulsive decisions and it let's your credit score recover from the most recent credit app.

Keep up the good work!

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations on your new SL! Enjoy and use it wisely.
Message 7 of 10
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Congrats! Welcome too the Discover family. It's a great card, enjoy your vacation. 

If you haven't already, cancel  that credit1. You don't need that predatory card anymore. It did it's job, time to move on.  

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! That a fantastic SL with Disco and it really is a great card. I also wouldn't stress too much on places that don't take Discover. Most big chains take it. I think the only place I've encountered that doesn't so far is a Chinese restaurant that I love.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Welcome to the Discover IT Card family!

Welcome to the Discover IT Card family!..I just got mines today...lol....Its a great start and also congrats on your own home built from the ground of...huge accomplishments....GOD bless and good luck!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.