cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT approval 2.5 years after BK 7 discharge...should I recon for higher starting limit?

tag
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

Discover IT approval 2.5 years after BK 7 discharge...should I recon for higher starting limit?

I received an offer and invitation number in the mail to apply for Discover IT for double cash back the first year and 0% interest on purchases and balance transfers for 12 months, so I decided to go for it. I have a BK7 discharged in Aug of 2013 and have really done well re-establishing since then with almost $75K in unsecured credit and FICO scores on all 3 bureaus in the low 700's now.

They approved me online and gave me a starting limit of $5,500, which makes it my second lowest limit now. All my other cards are $8,500 - $15,000, with the exception of my Barclay's Reward Card, which is still the same measly $1,500 they started me with over 2 years ago (I have lost all hope of that card ever getting a CLI, lol). 

My debt-to-income ratio is well below 20% and I have less than 4% charged and reporting of the $75,000 available credit. I don't want to seem greedy or ungrateful, but I would like to make a $1,900 purchase and take advantage of their 0% interest offer, but I refuse to ever charge more than 20% of my available credit on ANY card, regardless of the interest rate or introductory specials. 

Does anyone have any insight into how hard/easy it is to get Discover to increase an initial starting limit? I would like it to be $10,000. 

Also, I don't want to rock the boat, since I do have a discharged BK7 from 2013, so I don't want to call and end up with them possibly lowering my limit or something crazy like that. You just never know, lol. 

Any insight or advice?

Also, how is Discover for auto CLI's? How often is normal?

Thanks everyone!

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

Re: Discover IT approval 2.5 years after BK 7 discharge...should I recon for higher starting limit?

Nice Congrats!!!!! 

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover IT approval 2.5 years after BK 7 discharge...should I recon for higher starting limit?

Congrats!!!!!
I didn't do anything but use mine and pay it and I want to say by the second statement they gave me an increase without me asking. When I ask, they tell me no but the system did it automatically. It was weird. Mine only started at $1500 and I had to be a secondary on the account because of my BK. I wish I could be more help. I just thought I would let you know how they are doing me.
Message 3 of 22
alextercero
Super Contributor

Congrats

Current Credit Cards

Currently rebuilding as of (May 2021)

Current Fico Scores 8/9: (April 2024)

Credit Age:

Inquiries:

Message 4 of 22
somotao
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations on your discover approval.

every CLI I ever got with discover I requested myself and now my card is up to 20k 

treat the card well and it grows pretty quickly

Starting Score: 500s
Current Score: EQ: 708myFICO(7/15/17), TU: 721myFICO(7/15/17), EX: 701myFICO(7/15/17)
Goal Score: 750

Wallet: Discover IT $50300, Capital One Platinum $17000, Barclays Rewards $6700, Walmart $6000, Amazon Store Card $6000 Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000, Chase Sapphire Reserve $10000, Bank of America Cash Rewards $500. BestBuy $10000
Message 5 of 22
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Me personally....I wouldnt rock the boat. You got Discover with your BK, (so did I 1.4yrs post bk), and your SL is great. I get regular cli on my card every 91 days, plus 3 statements. Your lucky you even got approved (me as well). There as several peeps here who had BK as well, and still can't get them and its been several years...some had to wait 4-8 yrs to get in...

You can't have everything all at once, or every lender. Regardless of your income, and if you can support the CL or not. The fact is...you still have a dirty profile, and will until your BK falls off.

Congrats on the approval and SL! There are peeps here without a dirty profile who can't get them...so Id be happy with my approval, and wait the CLI's on the card. Smiley Wink
Message 6 of 22
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Pizza1, you have put it well into perspective. Sometimes I don't realize just how well I have it....there are many people who are recovering from BK that have to wait 4-8 years to get where I was in 1 year. I have over $100k in major credit card available credit and that is a lot for being just 2.5 years past discharge. I will wait and hopefully they will do regular CLI's. I have 2 offers from Cap One for 0% balance transfers for 12 months, I will probably use one of those since my limits are well over $10k now on each card. 

The only other card I want is AMEX,do you know how far past discharge, if at all, one has to be in order to be approved for AMEX? My TU FICO is currently 787 but my EXP and EQ FICO scores are only in the low 700's, like 715 and 718. 

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 7 of 22
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

^Just wanted to jump in and answer your question, Amex typically likes 5 years after BK before considering you, and that's if you didn't burn them.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 22
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

OP, did you burn Discover in your BK ?   Congrats on getting back in. Thats a huge win !   Gives me hope to get back in myself in the near future.

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 9 of 22
cem13
Established Contributor

Congrats.

I applied 4+ years post BK7, I had Discover IIB for $20K and I was denied with scores ~710.  So Discover is good for those BK7'ers who did not IIB Discover.

Thanks for another great data point.

FICO 08 JUL23: TU 850; EQ 846; EX 843. Clean since BK7 D/C 6/2011.
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.