cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT approval 2.5 years after BK 7 discharge...should I recon for higher starting limit?

tag
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

Re: Discover IT approval 2.5 years after BK 7 discharge...should I recon for higher starting limit?

No, I did not IIB Discover or AMEX, actually, I did a bk due to $1M+ in medical bills and prior to me bk, I only had 2 credit cards in the past, one was Credit One Bank and the other was Cap One and both were closed and paid in full at the time of BK filing. Hopefully that will give me the chance to get in with AMEX in a couple of years. On the other hand, my husband did IIB Discover, Cap One, Barclaybank and a few others and since our bk, he has also been approved for the same cards as are in my signature line, only his have higher credit limits, even though he IIB all the cards he has been able to get again. It is strange, he burned them, I didn't, yet he gets higher credit lines than I do and we both have the same income, lol. Go figure!  I will say that he did not receive a Discover offer in the mail.....yet.....but hopefully they will send one to him soon. 

I am just amazed at how quickly we have recovered from BK, I was expecting the worse, but because of the info I learned on this forum, I have managed to re-establish very quickly. This past weekend, I bought a new car with 0% interest for 60 months! I actually have better credit after the bk, than I ever did before the BK. 

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover IT approval 2.5 years after BK 7 discharge...should I recon for higher starting limit?

Very  nice, congrats !

Message 12 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats

Message 13 of 22
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Diva...Youve done very well in your rebuild. Im very proud of you! Sometimes we don't realize how good we have things, but Im very thankful for the rebuild. My current lineup is better than what I even had 10 years ago...long before my BK!!..Im still in shock at times about it.

With Amex..its 5 yrs post DC date...IF you didn't burn them, which you didn't . The usual and safest card to apply for first to get back in with them is the Delta Gold. Now...They could change in a few years when we are eligible to apply, but as of now thats the one. You may also have to recon it..

My advice at time of app is 1-5% util, no more than 1-3 INQ for a yr, and they pull EX...score at least 700+ for best results.
Message 14 of 22
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

Great advice, pizza1, I will make sure I am on point when I apply for the Delta Gold card. By the way, every time I see your name, I get hungry for pizza....which is not hard to do because it is my all-time favorite food. I could live on pizza the rest of my life and I would not miss the other options. :-)

Chap 7 BK Discharge Aug 2013 (Initial CL/Current CL): Discover IT ($5.5K/$32.5K) Cap1 QS ($500/$30K) Amazon ($700/$8K) Barclay's MC ($1,300/$10.3K) Upromise ($500/$33K) Lowe's ($900/$13K) Sportsman's Visa ($17K) WF Amex ($13K) AMEX BCE ($10K) AMEX Gold NPSL - FICO's: All 740+
Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just want to throw in that I am sorry for whatever you went through that got you $1M in medical debt but it is incredible how far you've come. Congratulations.
Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your Discover approval OP! I just got approved for mine, and I was denied in June, citing a paid judgment from 2011 that I'm working on getting to get rid of. But yeah, Discover can be very picky about who they approve. And I have the same SL as you. But my scores aren't where yours are at. Yet anyways lol
Message 17 of 22
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

JDT, thank you so much for your concern. I was diagnosed with sudden onset, primary progressive multiple sclerosis and a severe form of neuraliga back in 2009. I did not have insurance at the time and was hospitalized for more than 75 days from 2008 - 2011, forcing me to file bk to protect my home. I could not get insurance at the time due to pre-existing conditions but with the new laws, I now have insurance, so things are much better. Thanks again, that was very nice of you to say. 

Message 18 of 22
Divaofsongs
Frequent Contributor

Thexian100, congrats to you as well. It is certainly nice to be in the door with them. I think lately I have become a little too big for my own britches, lol. I have such high limits on my other cards that I have developed amnesia to the fact that I just had a bk7 discharged less than 3 years ago and I should be thanking my lucky stars that anyone will give me credit! 

Message 19 of 22
cem13
Established Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:

With Amex..its 5 yrs post DC date...IF you didn't burn them, which you didn't . The usual and safest card to apply for first to get back in with them is the Delta Gold. Now...They could change in a few years when we are eligible to apply, but as of now thats the one. You may also have to recon it..

Hi Pizza1,

01FEB16 will be 5 years post BK7 FILING.  So I am going to test the theory and apply for the Delta Gold.  All 3 of my FICO08 scores are over 700.  I did NOT IIB AMEX.

I fly Delta often so this would be a very nice card for me.  I have checked the AMEX Pre-Qual site and they have "offers" for me including the Gold and Platinum.

FICO 08 JUL23: TU 850; EQ 846; EX 843. Clean since BK7 D/C 6/2011.
Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.