Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover IT for Students - Approved

tag
JosephS112
Established Member

Discover IT for Students - Approved

Hello,  

I am a brand new poster of this forum however I have been reading many posts since I first thought of applying for any credit. I find that this forum has very little advise for current college students/people with limited to no credit history so I thought that I would assist in whatever way I can. Recently I applied for the Discover IT Student card with a 702 TransUnion, 689 Experian, 698 Equifax and a 25,000 annual income (they hard pulled equifax) and got approved with a 3,000 credit limit. I have a pretty limited credit history (only have a Bank of America secured card with a 500 credit limit for 9 months and a few student loans still in deferment.) In March, I applied for this same card and was declined instantly but decided to give it another shot after receiving three invitations to apply. So my advice to 18-20 year old college student is that while it is hard to get a card it is not impossible. However building history with a secured card (which I applied to with no credit history at all and easily got approved) for a little while before going for a lower end unsecured card. But do remember this is my personal experience. It could be different for you but I just wanted to give this point of view, as there are very few posts from an younger pespective. 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Discover IT for Students - Approved

@JosephS112 wrote:

Hello,  

I am a brand new poster of this forum however I have been reading many posts since I first thought of applying for any credit. I find that this forum has very little advise for current college students/people with limited to no credit history so I thought that I would assist in whatever way I can. Recently I applied for the Discover IT Student card with a 702 TransUnion, 689 Experian, 698 Equifax and a 25,000 annual income (they hard pulled equifax) and got approved with a 3,000 credit limit. I have a pretty limited credit history (only have a Bank of America secured card with a 500 credit limit for 9 months and a few student loans still in deferment.) In March, I applied for this same card and was declined instantly but decided to give it another shot after receiving three invitations to apply. So my advice to 18-20 year old college student is that while it is hard to get a card it is not impossible. However building history with a secured card (which I applied to with no credit history at all and easily got approved) for a little while before going for a lower end unsecured card. But do remember this is my personal experience. It could be different for you but I just wanted to give this point of view, as there are very few posts from an younger pespective. 

Welcome to the forum 

Congrats WTG keep up the good work

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 7
Simply827
Established Contributor

@JosephS112 wrote:

Hello,  

Congrats on your approval.

Actually there are a tons of threads on here addressing people with limited credit history. I know of many members that are in your age bracket as well. In the future, if you ever don't find what you're looking for, just start a new thread and ask.

Good luck

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 3 of 7
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

That us a nice student limit with discover. Many people on here got approved less than 3k with regular discover.
2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 4 of 7
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

congrats and welcome Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 5 of 7
JosephS112
Established Member

Yes, this forum has been a huge help in the information that I could find regarding people with limited history but some post leave out the income reported, scores, etc. etc. so I thought I should contributed fully to help the little people out there. Also, for those reading/searching in the future I decided to go and throw another inquiry out and applied for the Delta American Express (since I fly Delta pretty much exclusively to and from college and most other places) and to my surprise I was actually instantly accepted! I do not know the limit yet but I am quite amazed given my limited credit history and relatively low income. It's also funny because banks like Capital One have refused me in the past. But I guess my specific case is working out. Now I will officially stop applying for at least 10 months to a year (although the potential to apply for another amex card with no extra inquiry is tempting but risky). 

Message 6 of 7
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum! Congrats x2 on your recent approvals. You can call Amex and check your CL and don't forget to read the sticky on how to increase your CLI in 61 days.

Most of the time members ask a persons cr profile/income. when they are inquiring as to cc's. there have been several threads from students, recent grads etc and they have been pretty detailed. This forum can provide a wealth of information and may take some time to research the threads.

I am glad that you have found it helpful and hope that you will continue contribute.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.