Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It Approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover It Approval

Began focusing on building/repairing credit in Jan 2017. All three scores were in the 550-575 range and I had ignored the collections that came into being as a result of a disastrous 2010 year.
Had a Credit One ($600 limit), Merrick ($700), Cap One ($500) and secured US Bank ($800). Obviously low limits. Paid every card to zero and either paid off or by falling off, the three collections I had disappeared, US Bank graduated (I had to call them to formally request it after 3 years and 8 months holding the card) and all I've added is an Overstock cc via the SCT.
Fast forward to Nov 2017 and Discover's site says "Congrats, you are pre-approved...." After checking myfico and being convinced it was real due to Discover specifying the APR, I used my first hard inquiry in 8 months and was rewarded. Somehow, I got a $9,500 credit limit. I was shocked because of the aforementioned limits on my other cards.
If I had a question, it would be: is this the norm or the exception?
Discover pulled Equifax and the letter stated that I had a 687 at the time. My TU is 646 and my Ex is 631. No baddies, just not a big credit-user in the past.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover It Approval

Welcome to the forums

Congrats on your approval with a very nice SL.  Well done

Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome.. Congrats on the nice SL.   

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats.

To potentially answer your question, Discover attempted to pull my Equifax first. My SL was $9,000. It's based on credit profile but I'd say $9,500 is on the higher end for a SL. Some folks here think that Discover is granting higher SLs and limiting CLIs down the line but I don't believe there's enough data to make that determination.
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am a little confused.  Do you have a car loan with a Discover credit backed company?  They gave you a credit card at $9,500 but tried to pull your Equinox?  Did you have an alarm on this car or did you hide it from them?

LOL.

Did they Discover that your Chevy Equinox was not there when they tried a repo?

I know, I know.  It was a brain fart.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

😂 oops. iPhone autocorrect fail.
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval! Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 16
Mahraja
Valued Contributor

👌way to go Congrats ✌️✌️✌️👍
Profile Worth 2.0+M+
___________R.a.j
"Be Stronger Than Your Strongest Excuse"
Message 8 of 16
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Big grats! Looks like you were primed for a big sl from Discover, and yes thats a huge sl, not teally the norm imo( though they are handing out better sl lately) it seems Discover wants to be your go to card. Id say they pretty much smashed their way to the top in that disparity in limits. Well done, feel great as it is a big accomplishment. This will lead to better things indeedSmiley Happy
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats!

when i got my Discover, my SL is what you see.. $7000 i almost fell on the floor! all i had at the time was my cap1, which at the time was at 1750 and my Gamestop which was at 650 and i was in the low 600's on all scores.. now i honestly wish they had just given me a lower SL because i cannot get a CLI to save my life even though this is my main card(this month will be my 6th statement). The denial reason is always because of my BK(which of course i already had when they sent me dozen of preapprovals and then gave me 7000) but... i have never even touched 50% util.. i think the highest its ever been was 35% when i first got it and BT my balance from my Cap1.. so i personally think they ARE giving out high SL and then denying you CLI

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.