Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Re: Discover It Approval

Congrats

Message 11 of 23
jakemod1
Regular Contributor

So I just received my card today, and it does include my TU credit score, but no credit report. I did ask the CSR when I activated my card about switching the promo from 0% APR for 14mos on BTs and purchases to the 0% APR for 18mos BTs and 6mos for purchases and she said no, unfortunately. Still, paying no interest for 14mos on a $2,300 is better than the 24.50% APR I get from Macy's. And the interest doesn't accrue, which is a bonus, just in case I don't pay it all off before the promo ends.

Now, my next goal is to get a mileage card. Are there any that you guys swear by? Is it unnecessary now that I have a cashback card? I'm not a frequent traveler, but I do fly once in a while to visit friends and family around the country. I am also planning on flying to Europe since a good friend of mine just moved there. It would be nice to have it pay for part or all of the ticket. I am interested in joining the AMEX family. Once I get my balance down, my score should go up dramatically. As of now, my TU is 702. The simulator estimates my score to be between 742-777 once I pay all my cards. How are my chances with a 702 if I apply now?  

Any inputs greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Discover IT: $20,5k | Chase Freedom: $5k | CSP: $7k | Amex BCE: $25k | BofA Cash Rewards: $12,4k | Citi DC: $8,4k | Cap1 QS: $6k | Commence: $11k | US Bank Cash+: $8k | Macy's Amex $5k | Kohl's: $3k
Message 12 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on your approval! I just applied online for a Discover It card, and was approved. I requested a $2900 balance transfer myself, but have no idea what my credit limit was. I did this on the advice of a financial advisor. Hopefully, they'll transfer the whole amount... that would be ideal. I'd then have a zeroed Chase card. I'm relieved that so many of you like Discover. I had one back in college, but paid it off and left it unused until it eventually closed itself, I guess. Don't even have that card.

So my question for you is, did you call the CSR after applying and submitting online to find out? I was thinking if that's all it takes, I can give them a buzz. After paying off my small Target card with my tax return, I'll be able to pay off this balance by the end of the year (yay snowball paments!) I guess I can wait until the end of the week, but it's killing me to know how much I got! 

Message 13 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on your approval! I just applied online for a Discover It card, and was approved. I requested a $2900 balance transfer myself, but have no idea what my credit limit was. I did this on the advicce of a financial advisor. Hopefully, they'll transfer the whole amount... that would be idea. I'd then have a zeroed Chase card. I'm relieved that so many of you like Discover. I had one back in college, but paid it off and left it unused until it eventually closed itself, I guess. Don't even have that card.

So my question for you is, did you call the CSR after applying and submitting online to find out? I was thinking if that's all it takes, I can give them a buzz. After paying off my small Target card with my tax return, I'll be able to pay off this balance by the end of the year (yay snowball paments!) I guess I can wait until the end of the week, but it's killing me to know how much I got! 

Just call a few hours after the approval and they will be able to give your CL. 

Congrats and welcome to the Discover Family!

Message 14 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@09Lexie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on your approval! I just applied online for a Discover It card, and was approved. I requested a $2900 balance transfer myself, but have no idea what my credit limit was. I did this on the advicce of a financial advisor. Hopefully, they'll transfer the whole amount... that would be idea. I'd then have a zeroed Chase card. I'm relieved that so many of you like Discover. I had one back in college, but paid it off and left it unused until it eventually closed itself, I guess. Don't even have that card.

Awesome, thank you!  Super fast answer. Smiley Wink  (I'm a dedicated myFico user; best money I have *ever* spent!)

Message 15 of 23
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

@09Lexie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Awesome, thank you!  Super fast answer. Smiley Wink  (I'm a dedicated myFico user; best money I have *ever* spent!)

You are welcome! Smiley Happy

Message 16 of 23
jakemod1
Regular Contributor

Congrats! Yes, I called literally 15 mins after I applied online. A CSR transferred me to a credit analyst, answered a few questions, and I got my approval.

Discover IT: $20,5k | Chase Freedom: $5k | CSP: $7k | Amex BCE: $25k | BofA Cash Rewards: $12,4k | Citi DC: $8,4k | Cap1 QS: $6k | Commence: $11k | US Bank Cash+: $8k | Macy's Amex $5k | Kohl's: $3k
Message 17 of 23
mojobones89
Contributor

Anyone know if you can PC from discover More to discover It?

Message 18 of 23
newportguy
Frequent Contributor

@mojobones89 wrote:

Anyone know if you can PC from discover More to discover It?

Yes, all it takes is a phone call Smiley Happy

Current Score: myFico EQ - 794 ( 11/ 29/2012 ) amexFico EX - 787 (10/15/2012) myFico TU - 780 (11/29/2012) Credit Sesame - 809 (02/04/2013) Goal Score * 800 Club *
****** Garden Club Member -- Last HP Jan 3rd 2013 *******
*** Amex - BCP 10 K * PenFed - CR 5 K * Amex - GDSM 5 K *
Discover - IT 5 K ***** NO MORE APPS FOR ME IN 2013 *****
Message 19 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay, I got ahold of them, and they told me my limit! It's 1500. That means about half my requested transfer will likely go through. (Original request, $2900. Assuming that the full 1500 goes, that would be 1500 on the 0% APR card, and around $1400 on the 19.24% card. 

Mathematically speaking, what would be best: 

1) Paying the minimum on the high interest card, and paying down the 0% APR first, then transferring the remaining balance on the high interest card over. 

2) Paying the minimum on the 0% APR card, and paying down the high interest card, then snowball that over to the 0% APR card. 

3) Other

Message 20 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.