Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It CL: Figure this One Out

tag
cakkd
Contributor

Discover It CL: Figure this One Out

I’ve had both a Capital One Platinum and Chase Amazon Visa Rewards card for for four years. (The only cards I had during that time.) I had a 30-day late payment with each about three years ago. I started out with a $1500 CL on each, and was not granted a CLI on any of them until relatively recently. The Capital One (which I’ll soon ditch) is now up to $5k CL, while the Amazon Chase is up to only $3k.

Anyway, I just applied for a Discover It, and my CL is $15k.

How did that happen? Why do different CC have such different CL standards?

Starting scores (June 9,2012): 591(TU), 582(EXP), 591(EQUI)
Current score: 721 (Discover Fico)
Goal scores: 761 across the board
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover It CL: Figure this One Out

LOL seriously. I have no lates, 2+ years with them, and 750 FICO. Yet they wouldn't increase my 3k limit.

Does not make any sense. Congrats anyway.

Message 2 of 11
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Discover has mood swings

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 3 of 11
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Wow. Not only "how did that happen"? but how did that happen WITH DISCOVER. They're known for their conservativism and $15k is one of the highest opening CLs ever reported here.

No answers for you. Just be glad!

Message 4 of 11
cakkd
Contributor

The only things I can think of are: 1) I haven't applied for a cc in four years; 2) I had a card with them way back that I was never late on.

Starting scores (June 9,2012): 591(TU), 582(EXP), 591(EQUI)
Current score: 721 (Discover Fico)
Goal scores: 761 across the board
Message 5 of 11
jnt1231
Regular Contributor

Congrats! I can't figure them out either. The only thing I can figure is being you have only two other CC's, they want to be your go to card. I try to use mine when I can to give them love, but it requires me paying off account a couple time a week. I do try to maximize the 5% categories though.

FICO 08 EQ-817 TU-820 EX-817 12/07/17 Last App 9/15/17
Message 6 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Different underwriting standards is the answer, welcome to the Discover family Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats nice on your Discover approval, very generous CL

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!

Message 9 of 11
MissMoni223
Senior Contributor

CONGRATS on any type of CL from Discover that is over $2,000!!! Smiley Happy

Gardening Until Further Notice
15 Credit Cards (12 Major Banks & 3 Store Cards)
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.