Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover It Miles Approval!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover It Miles Approval!

Had to submit documents proving I am myself then called in to find out I was approved for $3,000 and 18.99% APR.....

I already have the IT with rotating categories; it started out as a secured card with $200 limit In February 2016.

I have used 3 Hp's this year attempting to get this card... Call me crazy I wanted a 1.5% or 2% cash back card. I had ruled out Citi because of minimum redemptions along with Chase because of 5/24. 

The first time I applied I was a week under 1 year with my first IT card,

The second time, I put down college student and they switched my app from the Miles card to the Student card. (it was infuriating). I have no clue what kind of logic goes into having the system manually switch application type based on profession selected.

Of course, the student card was a denial because I already had a Discover card. (Apparently, the limit is 1 Discover card when one has/applies for the Student card: at least that was the explanation the denial gave me)

The third time, I listed "other" as my profession and put in the same income as before and got the Miles card go figure.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Discover It Miles Approval!

Congrats on finally getting your card!  I am totally puzzled by the documents request, though.  Did you move recently?  Just sounds odd that they mailed you a card a year ago and have sent all of that correspondence to what is presumably your address.  If you're an identity thief, you're not a very good one with paying the bills on time and all... Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Congrats on finally getting your card!  I am totally puzzled by the documents request, though.  Did you move recently?  Just sounds odd that they mailed you a card a year ago and have sent all of that correspondence to what is presumably your address.  If you're an identity thief, you're not a very good one with paying the bills on time and all... Smiley Wink

I am still at the same address. I have no clue why they wanted the documents, I had to send a copy of my drivers license and social security card.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover is weird with second Cards. I too have the IT card and was appproved for the Miles this month. When I applied I had to call in, which was fine, and was told I was approved. Then when I activated my card it made me call in to the fraud department and I had to answer those stupid Lexus Nexus questions and then it was activated. I was told “we just want to make sure it is you since most people don’t have 2 credit cards with the same company” Huh?!?!?! Really?!?!? Lol
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh... and congrats OP
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Discover is weird with second Cards. I too have the IT card and was appproved for the Miles this month. When I applied I had to call in, which was fine, and was told I was approved. Then when I activated my card it made me call in to the fraud department and I had to answer those stupid Lexus Nexus questions and then it was activated. I was told “we just want to make sure it is you since most people don’t have 2 credit cards with the same company” Huh?!?!?! Really?!?!? Lol

I guess that is possible when it comes to Discover Bank since most people would only find one worth while.

However, when it comes to other lenders I am sure many people have 3-6 cards with the same company.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Maybe I am the odd ball though, and a few I have read on here. I have 2 now and I honestly would get the chrome
Card on top of my It and Miles Cards too if they’d let me.

Sometimes it isn’t the reward amount for me. For instance, yes, 2% is a better all around non category card than the Miles Card at 1.5%. But.... I think you can’t beat Discovers customer service, Mobile site, discover deals, etc. so even tho I loose 0.5% cash back on my general non category spending.... I much prefer to support Discover and Citi.

(But now My US Bank 1.5% Cash 365 Amex is resting the 2% on their customers (even the new ones) for the next year. And if it makes people use that card more it will be permanent.. then I will have a decision because they treat me like Gold and give me anything I want for the most part)

So to me it is more than just the amount. Besides the diff between a 1.5 and 2% Cash Back Card is only $50 if you spend $10k a year on it. I more than make that $50 up with the Discover Deals.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Maybe I am the odd ball though, and a few I have read on here. I have 2 now and I honestly would get the chrome
Card on top of my It and Miles Cards too if they’d let me.

Sometimes it isn’t the reward amount for me. For instance, yes, 2% is a better all around non category card than the Miles Card at 1.5%. But.... I think you can’t beat Discovers customer service, Mobile site, discover deals, etc. so even tho I loose 0.5% cash back on my general non category spending.... I much prefer to support Discover and Citi.

(But now My US Bank 1.5% Cash 365 Amex is resting the 2% on their customers (even the new ones) for the next year. And if it makes people use that card more it will be permanent.. then I will have a decision because they treat me like Gold and give me anything I want for the most part)

So to me it is more than just the amount. Besides the diff between a 1.5 and 2% Cash Back Card is only $50 if you spend $10k a year on it. I more than make that $50 up with the Discover Deals.

I love Discover's customer service as well. I have had to call the fraud department twice this week (They wanted to make sure I was the one who applied for the card)

I would probably have the chrome as well; however, my Chase Amazon covers gas/ restaurants.

Message 8 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Congrats on your second Discover cardSmiley Happy
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh yeah... I have the Amazon card from chase too. I forget about using that card for anything but Amazon Purchases. It’s really just a cash back card which I forget.
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.