cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover it and Costco TrueEarnings Amex Approved!!!

tag
ShatteredReality
Established Member

Discover it and Costco TrueEarnings Amex Approved!!!

Hi Everyone!

I'm super excited that I just got approved for two "name brand" cedit cards. In college I recived several store credit cards but I was never able to be approved for a Visa, MC, Discover, or Amex due to a high credit util rating (I bought my laptop on a 0% apr and didnt pay it off until recently).

Tonight I finally decided to take the plunge and try again to see what I could get.

At first I was only going to try the Discover card (I have heard great things about Amex but I know it is accepted at the fewest number of places) and I got the we need 5-7 days to get a result to you message. I then proceeded to call Discover and they confirmed my information before approving me for a $4500 CL Discover it card!!!

I then continued to read this forum and saw all the posts about app sprees and I began to think: "You know what? I just got a card and I still cant use it for gas at Costco I have no need for new credit in the next year so why not see what Amex says? I pulled up the online form and filled it out and got an instant approval!!! 

I dont know that the limit on the Amex is yet (I'll call in the morning) but I am super happy to have been approved!

Quick question about app sprees though? How long do AMEX and Discover take for the pulls to show up on my report? I was thinking of trying for one more (Visa or MC) to cover anywhere that Amex or Discover are not accepted. Can I do that tomorrow (today) or will it be too late? Also what is the best card for someone with decent credit but not great (my util before the approvals was 50% and my Fico Equifax was 652, I knwo my Vantage score through TC is 723 and my transrisk score (also TU) is 675).

Thanks Everyone!!

Starting Score: 652
Current Score: EQ: 751 EX:751 TU:738
Goal Score: 740

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Discover it and Costco TrueEarnings Amex Approved!!!

Congrats on your approvals

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 11
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Congrats! I had 2 credit cards for the longest, and I wanted no more than 3. I waited for my thrid to be Amex and I finally started getting offers for them, applied and got approved instantly as well. So I know how exciting it is to be approved! However, now I have four, my fourth one is Citi Thank You Preferred.lol.

I wouldn't go too crazy on the credit card apps though. Amex is accepted at a lot more places than people think. I use my Amex all the time. Sure, there are times where a place doesn't accept them, but I've rarely ran into that problem. If you'd LIKE to apply, feel free. OBVIOUSLY its your choice in the end.lol...but I honestly don't think you'd have a problem. I love using my amex for the rewards.

EIther way, Good Luck! Congrats again!

And welcome Smiley Happy

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 3 of 11
zeusta20
Established Contributor

Also, to answer your question, I'm not sure exactly which one would be the BEST card to have for decent credit. It all depends upon what you're trying to get out of it.

But I'd either look here on myFico. There's a section under the "Find Savings & Credit Cards" that can really help to narrow down to what you're looking for in the credit range that you're in. You can also try Creditkarma.com. That also has a way of narrowing down your searches.

Hope this helps!

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 4 of 11
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Congrats!!!!! That's odd that you got those cards with your scores (no offense)!

I hate when businesses don't accept Amex...
Or when I get snubbed because Im using an Amex...
Shouldn't I be snubbing you for not accepting my business because your cheap azzzz won't pay the higher merchant fee? Hello! Lol :-P
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 5 of 11
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approvals. The Costco TE card is the only one I itch for at the moment. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 6 of 11
ShatteredReality
Established Member

Thanks Everyone,

I really didnt expect any aprovals based on my scores but now my goal is to prove that they did not make the wrong decision! I called Amex this morning and they informed me of an approved $4700 CL. I also decided to put in a chase freedom app (I probably shouldnt have and I will not be putting any more apps since I really have zero need for additional credit)  and I got the 5-7 day response message. I called them this morning and they could give me no more information so we will see where that one goes. 

Message 7 of 11
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

@NMCTech wrote:

Thanks Everyone,

I really didnt expect any aprovals based on my scores but now my goal is to prove that they did not make the wrong decision! I called Amex this morning and they informed me of an approved $4700 CL. I also decided to put in a chase freedom app (I probably shouldnt have and I will not be putting any more apps since I really have zero need for additional credit)  and I got the 5-7 day response message. I called them this morning and they could give me no more information so we will see where that one goes. 

Congrats! Nice cl you got for both cards! 

Amex Costco and BCE are the only cards i'm aiming for next year!

Good luck on the Freedom app. Hope you get approved!

Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 8 of 11
jpparker07
New Contributor

Oddly enough I live in DC and I am finding more and more that AMEX is accepted many more places than Discover. I don't know if it is a regional thing or what, but a lot of times at restaurants and stores they won't accept Discover but they will take my AMEX.

Cards: AMEX BCE (2k), Barclay Arrival Mastercard (4.3K), Chase Freedom (1K), Discover It (1.3k), SECU (2K), CapOne Quicksilver (750)

Current Scores- Experian- 695, Equifax- 689, Transunion-680

Goal- 720 Across the Board
Message 9 of 11
ShatteredReality
Established Member

Thanks again everyone!

I called the chase backdoor number and they informed me that the card was denined due to my current credit utilization ratio and there was no way to reconsider with out another hard pull. I decided to just call it good for a nice long time and let my history grow while I continue to pay off the retail debt I have and then see where I stand in a year or so. 

Thanks again for all of your encouragement!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.