Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover it

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover it

new to the forums, been reading on here for a while though. 

as of now, I have a pnc secured credit card for $300

got a cap1 platinum at $300 that has since bumped up to $400.

I finally took the plunge for discover when the pre-qaulify said congratulations and was approved for $1800.

should i keep all three cards? or cancel the pnc card? cap1 was opened about 3 months after pnc.

equifax is at 611 with 7 inq and 1 collection

transunion is at 622 with 1 inq and 1 collection

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Discover it

@Anonymous wrote:

new to the forums, been reading on here for a while though. 

as of now, I have a pnc secured credit card for $300

got a cap1 platinum at $300 that has since bumped up to $400.

I finally took the plunge for discover when the pre-qaulify said congratulations and was approved for $1800.

should i keep all three cards? or cancel the pnc card? cap1 was opened about 3 months after pnc.

equifax is at 611 with 7 inq and 1 collection

transunion is at 622 with 1 inq and 1 collection

Welcome to MyFICO

Congrats on your approval.  Unless there is a specific reason to close the PNC card (not sure if it eventually graduates), I would leave it open unless there is some kind of annual fee.  For maximum FICO scores, it's recommended that you have at least 3 revolving credit accounts.. The card will continue to age and help your Average Age of Accounts which is another component of your FICO scores.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

it will not graduate, i would have to open an unsecured card with pnc, and then close the secured card. it has been a journey over the past year to rebuild my credit. did some not so good things with it when i was young and reckless. would my AAoA suffer tremendously or not so much if i just close it?

i have one collection that i will be trying to resolve in the near future, and then a couple letters of good will that i would like to send out just to see if there is any boost in my score from that, any suggestions with any of that?

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

it will not graduate, i would have to open an unsecured card with pnc, and then close the secured card. it has been a journey over the past year to rebuild my credit. did some not so good things with it when i was young and reckless. would my AAoA suffer tremendously or not so much if i just close it?

i have one collection that i will be trying to resolve in the near future, and then a couple letters of good will that i would like to send out just to see if there is any boost in my score from that, any suggestions with any of that?

Makes sense.  There will be no immediate effect on your AAoA because cards continue to report for up to 10 years or longer even after you close then.  I’d wait to close it until you open another card down the road.  As for the GW letters, I will defer to those experienced in that area and that’s where you want to visit the Rebuilding Your Credit forum where you will find great advice.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.