Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discover's perplexing credit limit increase

tag
HiLine
Blogger

Discover's perplexing credit limit increase

I have a Discover More. I requested a credit limit increase on the phone last weekend after the customer service representative reassured me that the request would not result in a hard inquiry. I wanted a new credit limit of 5k, a 3k increase from the current limit. The instant decision was a flat out denial. The following Monday, a letter was sent to my address to confirm the credit request rejection, stating the reasons including the number of new accounts and the ratio of overall balance to total available credit (which was around 12% at the time).

There wouldn't have been anything to talk about if not for what ensued next. On Thursday, a different card of mine reported a new balance, bringing overall utlization to 17%. Consequently, on Saturday, my credit monitoring service alerted me of a credit limit increase of $250. Insignificant, but still non-zero.

I can't come up with the reason for the eventual credit limit increase. I did not make a second request. The only thing that changed over the course was the new, larger reported balance from a different credit card. Could it be that Discover regretted their initial decision and sought to appease the customer by "partially" granting the request? $250 is not even 10% of what I asked for, but it shows that Discover partially agrees that I should be granted more credit.

What's your theory? Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Discover's perplexing credit limit increase

@HiLine wrote:

I have a Discover More. I requested a credit limit increase on the phone last weekend after the customer service representative reassured me that the request would not result in a hard inquiry. I wanted a new credit limit of 5k, a 3k increase from the current limit. The instant decision was a flat out denial. The following Monday, a letter was sent to my address to confirm the credit request rejection, stating the reasons including the number of new accounts and the ratio of overall balance to total available credit (which was around 12% at the time).

There wouldn't have been anything to talk about if not for what ensued next. On Thursday, a different card of mine reported a new balance, bringing overall utlization to 17%. Consequently, on Saturday, my credit monitoring service alerted me of a credit limit increase of $250. Insignificant, but still non-zero.

I can't come up with the reason for the eventual credit limit increase. I did not make a second request. The only thing that changed over the course was the new, larger reported balance from a different credit card. Could it be that Discover regretted their initial decision and sought to appease the customer by "partially" granting the request? $250 is not even 10% of what I asked for, but it shows that Discover partially agrees that I should be granted more credit.

What's your theory? Smiley Happy

There really is no methodto Discover's madness. They have a special place in my sock drawer. Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 18
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

they were just hoping to get some publicity on myficoforums.

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 3 of 18
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@oscar_actuary wrote:

So essentially they got a bunch of free advertising on myficoforums by giving a $250 CLI.... not a bad advertising model, lol. 

Message 4 of 18
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@oscar_actuary wrote:

Smiley Very Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 5 of 18
myjourney
Super Contributor

Discover ....Discover....Discover 

When you figure out your CLI' criteria

Shoot me oneSmiley Wink

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 18
HiLine
Blogger

Message 7 of 18
myjourney
Super Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Can't believe I fell for it lol

Smiley LOL

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 8 of 18
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Discover typically, ime, does small auto clis every few months, usually available a few days after statement cutting.
Did your statement cut recently? Did a new billing cycle begin for you?
Either way, congrats!
So far I've received a $750 cli and then a $250 cli - so a total of $1000 via sp. lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 9 of 18
HiLine
Blogger

Oh that's right - I forgot to mention that my statement cut on Thursday. My Discover More is now 9 months old - I got it last October. Perhaps the statement balance of 0 helped - even though the balance on the card has been $0 for 2 weeks now.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.