CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

Re: Discover wished me a Happy New Year

21719i720D07BB8D739D3A.gif

Message 11 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Biggest Congrats to you, jolt! Your ride with Discover has been mind boggling, and it's only going to get better! This is your ace, and they know it! $20K is right around the corner! You don't seem to be on a particular cli certain day cycle, so it makes it all the more exciting.  So happy for you! Enjoy it even more!  Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not much to say here, except!!!! Wooooowww! That's awesome. 

Message 13 of 26
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I know have aweird sense of humor here sometimesSmiley Wink but Barclays sending out coffer cards made me laughSmiley Happy.....Well,.....then again we did win the war so......Smiley Wink
Message 14 of 26
joltdude
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Biggest Congrats to you, jolt! Your ride with Discover has been mind boggling, and it's only going to get better! This is your ace, and they know it! $20K is right around the corner! You don't seem to be on a particular cli certain day cycle, so it makes it all the more exciting.  So happy for you! Enjoy it even more!  Smiley Happy

The thing is it does seem to make *some* sense... 

Shortly after the third statement I got an auto CLI in my account...then hit the LUV and got an instant CLI

Started on the "30" day (its really more like 31-32 day cycle.... for a few statements..

then  when i finally got my hard no (tried twice and got letters), tried 31 days later... it was another CLI....(for roughly 61 days)

Decided to skip DEC since i got the one a month earlier (Black Friday shopping).... Only outlier is this last one was a week or two ahead of schedule (it was a new year and curiosity/patience got the better of me)

So I do think trying every other statement is what i should be doing now.. think its slowed down.. 

If i got a 500 increase i would have known its time to deboard....    Im surprised with how well this played out..

Realize i went from no credit when i started... not rebuilding perse...   Im surprised i didnt mis-step... (the only hard NO was when it shifted to the larger gap between approvals (hard no=2 letters in same month... If i got 1 letter, i retried it and got it) it was somewhat predictable... 

I really am a believer that for a clean and new credit history thats at least scoring...if your reports (im presuming balances).. show discover is the daily driver.. they will shower you for attention... also i believe the first 3 statements is a probationary period for discover... i think they 'expect" to give some accounts a CLI once they get a feel for your credit behavior and usage of their card....

disco has not been a PIF card for me.. due to the 0% offer. and I paid down my chase (about to be paid off),,, and paid off my CU card which had a balance...

as folks have said in the past.. IT is an appropriate name for their card and methods... IT wants to be IT in your wallet....

really would like to figure out how to make a spreadsheet that shows what happened... wish i recorded the dates that i got the cli, ill have to use the date i get the letter which is up to a week later than it appears in the account.. 

On a FICO side... my score has kept climbing though there was a dip in august.. 734 to 719 (the August Dip) to 753

Hope this helps someone...

Message 15 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great Job! This is good news. Enjoy your new SL.
Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joltdude wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The thing is it does seem to make *some* sense... 

Shortly after the third statement I got an auto CLI in my account...then hit the LUV and got an instant CLI

Started on the "30" day (its really more like 31-32 day cycle.... for a few statements..

then  when i finally got my hard no (tried twice and got letters), tried 31 days later... it was another CLI....(for roughly 61 days)

Decided to skip DEC since i got the one a month earlier (Black Friday shopping).... Only outlier is this last one was a week or two ahead of schedule (it was a new year and curiosity/patience got the better of me)

So I do think trying every other statement is what i should be doing now.. think its slowed down.. 

If i got a 500 increase i would have known its time to deboard....    Im surprised with how well this played out..

Realize i went from no credit when i started... not rebuilding perse...   Im surprised i didnt mis-step... (the only hard NO was when it shifted to the larger gap between approvals (hard no=2 letters in same month... If i got 1 letter, i retried it and got it) it was somewhat predictable... 

I really am a believer that for a clean and new credit history thats at least scoring...if your reports (im presuming balances).. show discover is the daily driver.. they will shower you for attention... also i believe the first 3 statements is a probationary period for discover... i think they 'expect" to give some accounts a CLI once they get a feel for your credit behavior and usage of their card....

disco has not been a PIF card for me.. due to the 0% offer. and I paid down my chase (about to be paid off),,, and paid off my CU card which had a balance...

as folks have said in the past.. IT is an appropriate name for their card and methods... IT wants to be IT in your wallet....

really would like to figure out how to make a spreadsheet that shows what happened... wish i recorded the dates that i got the cli, ill have to use the date i get the letter which is up to a week later than it appears in the account.. 

On a FICO side... my score has kept climbing though there was a dip in august.. 734 to 719 (the August Dip) to 753

Hope this helps someone...

Your scores are great, Jolt, and that's the big picture in this credit puzzle game that we all must play.  I think you're right about carrying a balance on the card - why not if you're utilizing the 0% offer.  And, Discover, doesn't seem to mind at all, even though they may not earn a penny from you.  Kudos to them! Smiley Happy

Message 17 of 26
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Also realize iv gone from a thin file to a thinnish file...

Started with the CU card and a PLOC of 1k, then waited quite a bit for the second card....then a SSL and waited for my scores to go up... 

I really think the SSL put me over a plateau... I had a 75something score when i apped for chase, then said. why not on the disco... there was a bit of myFico nudging.... that whole aging another tl at roughly the same time.. and i thought they were right..then i grabbed the disco roughly a month later...

I never had a really low score in this entire time.. even when my score started reporting... it just was not stable... ... Now im at a point where it doesn't have quite the fluxuations when using it... which time and that tasty CL are probably helping with......Every app seemed to dip the score, but it rebounded... 

Im at a point where i really need another card for diversity not CL... Still dont believe it just "relying" entirely on discover.... but im in an indecision point right now...

So the garden will be where i want to be... might think of a card in march or april... roughly my 3 year anniversary with the CU accounts.... 

Only thing im worried about is the SSL is done .... might take the hit and apply to alliant for another one with a longer haul.... 

Now if only they will take my donation.... =)

Message 18 of 26
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Know this thread is a bit old but figured folks would want to see the general gist of it

DiscoverFicoYear

Message 19 of 26
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Come on Jolt, only "Very Dependable"? You're better than that!

Smiley Wink
Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.