cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Don't be too harsh but... Amex SPG 6k SL approved after fraud verification!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't be too harsh but... Amex SPG 6k SL approved after fraud verification!!

I know I was supposed to be gardening after the Ink Plus app last month, but I was weak and upset after Chase Business recon spoiled my morning yesterday after 45+ minutes on hold many times, confirmed they would overturn the auto 5/24 denial and reconsider my app only to eventually  come back and create a list of denial reasons (outside of the number of new accounts).

I figured what the heck, may as well give American Express a go since I have been eying the Starwood Preferred Guest for some time, and the SimplyCash Plus is at least in a similar ballpark as Ink as far as bonus spend categories.

Due to anecdotal evidence that applying simultaneously can lead to a single pull, I submitted both applications within 1 second of each other. Both went pending and asked me to call but it was 2AM EST so I called them back tonight after work and I have to say AMEX support people are SO much nicer and less scary than Chase!

I couldn't understand the guy's accent 100%, but basically he just wanted to confirm that both apps were mine. Put me on hold for maybe 30 seconds and while waiting I got an approval email for the SPG. Came back and said that he can only approve personal card applications, and that the business people are gone for the weekend but he is sure based on my report that they will also have good news for me early next week. 

He also expedite shipped SPG (and put in to overnight the SimplyCash Plus once it is finalized) due to me "having to go to the trouble of calling in"!

From this initial experience alone I can definitely see why some people are huge American Express fans - their treatment of customers (or in this case potential customer) is hands down the best I've ever dealt with between AMEX, Chase, US Bank, Citi, Barclays, CapitalOne and Synchrony (Credit Solutions is nice enough).

Anyway, I really really am 110% in the garden until I'm under 5/24, so basically in 2 years heh Smiley Happy  The only 2 cards left that I genuinely want are Chase's normal Freedom (if it still exists in 2 years) and an Ink. 

Thank you AMEX!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Don't be too harsh but... Amex SPG 6k SL approved after fraud verification!!

Congratulations!! Customer service wise no one can beat Amex!! They are the best!
Message 2 of 8
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

Re: Don't be too harsh but... Amex SPG 6k SL approved after fraud verification!!

Congratulations! I want an American Express Card really bad! I am gardening now, but that will be the card I try for eventually!

Message 3 of 8
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats!

Message 4 of 8
thummel
Established Contributor

Congrats
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice, cngrats on the Amex approval 

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone! It's good to be in with AMEX, and I'm really looking forward to giving Starwood points a try. If I'm traveling as much as I think, this card should be a good companion to CSP. 

Seriously still blown away by how much more pleasant American Express phone people are than most other lenders Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Congrats

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.