cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPDATE: Barclays wanted Drivers Lic / Soc Sec Copies.. Escalated to Execs and Approved

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE: Barclays wanted Drivers Lic / Soc Sec Copies.. Escalated to Execs and Approved

Dont APPLY to Barclays.. I was thinking of getting this card and not using it.. (Utilization Boost)... tsk tsk... Why would anyone want to send their Social Security Card and Driver's License through the physical mail.... I asked if i could fax in copies, and they said NO... No way im sending it in, Especially to a P.O. Box.. Im definitely gonna file complaints at the BBB, CFPB and Delaware Attorney General's office.. for this ridiculous hard inquiry I just got.

Even if they do approvals.. thats very suspicious. Anyone can get that envelope and basically hit Jackpot...

Beware of Barclays..

Message 1 of 70
69 REPLIES 69
ryox03
Regular Contributor

Re: Dont APPLY to Barclays!!! Wanted Soc Sec Card & Drivers Lic via Physical Mail

@Anonymous wrote:

Dont APPLY to Barclays.. I was thinking of getting this card and not using it.. (Utilization Boost)... tsk tsk... Why would anyone want to send their Social Security Card and Driver's License through the physical mail.... I asked if i could fax in copies, and they said NO... No way im sending it in, Especially to a P.O. Box.. Im definitely gonna file complaints at the BBB, CFPB and Delaware Attorney General's office.. for this ridiculous hard inquiry I just got.

Even if they do approvals.. thats very suspicious. Anyone can get that envelope and basically hit Jackpot...

Beware of Barclays..

thats odd. Where did you apply? They never requested anything like that from me. No issuer has...

$1,000 Amex ED, Amex PRG- NPSL,$5,000 Quicksilver Visa, $3750 CO Quicksilver One, $3,300 BarclayCard Rewards,$2000 Paypal Credit, $3500 Walmart, $1700 Target. $5000 Kay Jewlers, $3500 Amazon Prime Store Card, $1,600 Discover IT

652 EQ 661 TU 650 EX 4/19/2016
Message 2 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dont APPLY to Barclays!!! Wanted Soc Sec Card & Drivers Lic via Physical Mail

I think you're overreacting a bit (or a lot) I understand not being comfortable sending in your information but not every verification with lenders Barclay or otherwise is taken care of by phone. If thats their process in your case then not much you can do except refuse and move on. But advising others not to apply based on this experience is a tad extreme.
Message 3 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is extremely strange.  Are you sure you didn't apply through some email phishing link or other fraudulent site?

Message 4 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Beware of Barclays..

Why get a card you won't use, utilization purpose or not? It is still a new tradeline and can impact your credit. What they are asking for is verification where you would send in a copy of both in the mail. I am surprised they did not offer the option of going to a local bank and verifying identity there with a notarized letter and copies. BBB, CFPB, and the like will not hear it, honestly as this is standard business practice and actually is a security feature. If someone applied for a card with your information and did not have these documents to tender then fraud has been effectively deterred. Adding to that, No hard inquiry is ridiculous unless you absolutely did not apply for credit.

Message 5 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is a copy they are requesting, and it is becoming more common. Were you thinking that they wanted you to mail your actual license?

Message 6 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you misunderstood what they were asking of you. They were asking you to send in "copies" of your SS card and driver's license - not the actual cards.

Message 7 of 70
Pway
Valued Contributor

There is something called VERIFICATION.  Telling others not to apply is something you should not do.  I can see a bad experience but VERIFICATION is something that is normal and is becoming more common.  I mean come on now. 

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 8 of 70
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It is a copy they are requesting, and it is becoming more common. Were you thinking that they wanted you to mail your actual license?

OP is concerned about the sending in the information which could be intercepted and used for identity theft.   So a copy is almost as good for that purpose.    

Message 9 of 70
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

OP is concerned about the sending in the information which could be intercepted and used for identity theft.   So a copy is almost as good for that purpose.    

And when and IF that happens, there would be cause for concern. There have been way bigger security breaches than this before.

Message 10 of 70
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.