cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FINALLY got a CLI from Discover and AMEX!!!

tag
Barneygirl
Frequent Contributor

FINALLY got a CLI from Discover and AMEX!!!

So I've had my discover account, in very good standing, for nearly 4 years now.  Small $900 CL.   I finally stopped using it because it was pretty much useless.

I got an email from them stating that they were going to cancel my account if it wasn't used in the next 30 days (hadn't used it in 12 months).  AND... to make it easier for me to use, they were giving me a $5000 CLI!!!!

So, you want a CLI from Discover.... just stop using it! Smiley Happy

AMEX on the other hand.... I applied for a CLI a few times over the last 4  years... and was always turned down.  Then one day, after being turned down a month earlier, I open my online account to find they gave me a $6000 CLI!  WTH???

Not complaining, but these CC companies, and how they make their decisions on CLIs doesnt make ANY sense to me Smiley Happy

Current FICO Scores: EQ749; TU732; EX733
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: FINALLY got a CLI from Discover and AMEX!!!

Sweet! Comgratulations!Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 13
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Barneygirl wrote:

So, you want a CLI from Discover.... just stop using it! Smiley Happy

*Writes this down* 

I'll try this theory out for everyone. My Discover has never seen anything other than a large BT that is almost paid off. We'll see how much they like me when they aren't making any money off of me Smiley LOL

Message 3 of 13
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Congratulations!

Discover is hard to pin down, but I think you have them pinned down in this case.

As far as AMEX goes, I think they've noticed your lower utilization and your markedly improved scores.

Message 4 of 13
bettercreditguy1
Established Contributor

DW and I had the same situation. Got a letter stating if the card wasn't used soon, it would be closed. We let it silently fade away. Fast Forward six months after they closed it,  they are now sending me pre qual documents in the mail, so go figure.(spelling correction)

Updated scores 3/7/21 TU 849, EQ 829, Ex 818 (all Fico scores) Remember the Three P's: Pay early in Full, Pay on Time, Patience
Message 5 of 13
ridgebackpilot
Established Contributor

@Barneygirl wrote:

Not complaining, but these CC companies, and how they make their decisions on CLIs doesnt make ANY sense to me Smiley Happy

I don't understand it either! After months of refusing to give me a CLI on my Hilton HHonors Surpass card, which I use heavily, AMEX instantly approves me for the Blue Cash Preferred card! Go figure...

No doubt the algorithms for CLI and Initial Approval are different. But why would AMEX repeatedly deny me a paltry $1,000 CLI on the Hilton card and then turn around and give me instant approval for a $6,000 SL on the BCP?!

Message 6 of 13
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Push the Luv button.

Message 7 of 13
drboxing
Established Contributor

Maybe I should try it on my Discover card lol stop using it maybe they'll give me an increase. I keep getting denied. Only had my AMEX for 2 months so I'll have to wait on requesting an increase

Message 8 of 13
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Congrats on your recent CLIs

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ridgebackpilot wrote:

@Barneygirl wrote:

I don't understand it either! After months of refusing to give me a CLI on my Hilton HHonors Surpass card, which I use heavily, AMEX instantly approves me for the Blue Cash Preferred card! Go figure...

No doubt the algorithms for CLI and Initial Approval are different. But why would AMEX repeatedly deny me a paltry $1,000 CLI on the Hilton card and then turn around and give me instant approval for a $6,000 SL on the BCP?!

Shouldn't you be able to transfer credit from BCP to Hilton Surpass? 

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.