Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FU APPROVAL after instant DENIAL and 2 Recons

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

FU APPROVAL after instant DENIAL and 2 Recons

I really wanted to app for the CSR and was saving a coveted spot on my 5/24 list for it, but then I got spooked by being denied for both a PenFed PCR and an AMEX Everyday Card, and decided if I couldn't get these cards, there was no way I was going to get the CSR and didn't want to risk PCing my CSP and not get the CSR, so I decided to give that last coveted spot to a Freedom Unlimited so to at least have the baby trifecta in the meantime.  I assumed that I would get the FU as it matched my profile on CardMatch (albeit not pre-qualified and it wasn't in my offers on my Chase account).  I got the referral code from a friend, hit submit and INSTANT DENIAL!!! **bleep**!!! 

Of course my little ego was now shattered. Let's call recon and see why they were so quick to axe my app. 

Initial Denial

EQ pulled 719 (sounds right); also pulled EXP (not sure what score)

Denial reason one or more cards over the limit; balances high compared to credit limits (WHOA!!! WAIT! WHAT???!!!) - I asked did you pull my EQ today, like after I apped? Rep said yes, so I asked her to tell me which accounts were over the limit or high considering my utilization is like 6%. Hmmm...crickets. She didn't see what the computer was saying, so she reviewed it again.

First Recon Attempt

-Ok, she reviewed it again and came back with it still denied. This time too many active accounts and too much available credit. Too many inquiries. NOW HOLD ON!! First I had balances that were too high now I have too much available credit. No, this can't be right. I need to speak with someone else, so I was transferred to the customer resolution team. 

I could understand being rejected for my past baddies. They are no secret to Chase, however, as they existed 2 years ago when I was approved for the CSP.  However, my baddies were never mentioned at this point as a basis for denying my application, and I certainly wasn't bringing it up.  

Second Recon Attempt

I spoke with a rep who went over my profile in detail. We went over every single inquiry and why they were there. We went over every baddie and I explained what happened in each instance (oddly the CO didn't come up). I spent maybe 35 minutes on the phone.  Then he cam back after a long hold and asked why my balances prior to a recent paydown were so high. I explained that I spent 8 months on an unpaid maternity leave and used credit to live until I started working again. Given that maternity leave is not a habitual occurrence, I don't expect to have such high balances going forward. Got put on hold again, then he came back and said they needed to verify my address. I took a copy of my light bill to the branch downstairs. They uploaded it to the system. I spoke with someone else last night to confirm receipt. They reviewed the file again and sent it to verification.  I called verification this morning and they finally confirmed I was approved.  

Final Verdict

Approved for $3K SL (waiting for the welcome package for APR). Not the SL I wanted as I wanted to pay off a $6500 auto loan balance and take advantage of the 0% APR offer, but I'll take it. 

My apping is done for 2018. I will now head to the garden until March 2020. 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
jl4
Established Contributor

Re: FU APPROVAL after instant DENIAL and 2 Recons

Dang. I don't think I would have been as persistent Smiley Happy Congrats!

Also, welcome to the garden! Cheers!🍷(if you can have Wine, that is)

EQ8: 779 (Inq: 1) | TU8: 771 (Inq: 0) | EX8: 763 (Inq: 4)
Total Rev: $182,500
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jl4wrote:

Dang. I don't think I would have been as persistent Smiley Happy Congrats!

Also, welcome to the garden! Cheers!🍷(if you can have Wine, that is)

Ah yes!!! Wine in the garden. I LOVE IT!! Cheers!

Message 3 of 11
Sneakytiki
Frequent Contributor

You worked for that one, congrats on the approval and nice job on the recon. 

Starting Score-(01/2017): FICO ||EX:575--EQ:549--TU:588||
Current Score--(04/2018): FICO ||EX:686--EQ:697--TU:715||

Message 4 of 11
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Congratulations! Way to be persistent! 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! Excellent persistence and patience! The tortoise wins the race again!
Message 6 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Good job sticking to it. Its like Chase wants to grill you for whatever you did in the 3rd grade and hold it against you. Lol, Chase is definetly not for me but am glad you at least got the card you wantedSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCreditwrote:
Good job sticking to it. Its like Chase wants to grill you for whatever you did in the 3rd grade and hold it against you. Lol, Chase is definetly not for me but am glad you at least got the card you wantedSmiley Happy

Yes, it does feel good to go into the garden on a high note. 

Message 8 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

I really wanted to app for the CSR and was saving a coveted spot on my 5/24 list for it, but then I got spooked by being denied for both a PenFed PCR and an AMEX Everyday Card, and decided if I couldn't get these cards, there was no way I was going to get the CSR and didn't want to risk PCing my CSP and not get the CSR, so I decided to give that last coveted spot to a Freedom Unlimited so to at least have the baby trifecta in the meantime.  I assumed that I would get the FU as it matched my profile on CardMatch (albeit not pre-qualified and it wasn't in my offers on my Chase account).  I got the referral code from a friend, hit submit and INSTANT DENIAL!!! **bleep**!!! 

Of course my little ego was now shattered. Let's call recon and see why they were so quick to axe my app. 

Initial Denial

EQ pulled 719 (sounds right); also pulled EXP (not sure what score)

Denial reason one or more cards over the limit; balances high compared to credit limits (WHOA!!! WAIT! WHAT???!!!) - I asked did you pull my EQ today, like after I apped? Rep said yes, so I asked her to tell me which accounts were over the limit or high considering my utilization is like 6%. Hmmm...crickets. She didn't see what the computer was saying, so she reviewed it again.

First Recon Attempt

-Ok, she reviewed it again and came back with it still denied. This time too many active accounts and too much available credit. Too many inquiries. NOW HOLD ON!! First I had balances that were too high now I have too much available credit. No, this can't be right. I need to speak with someone else, so I was transferred to the customer resolution team. 

I could understand being rejected for my past baddies. They are no secret to Chase, however, as they existed 2 years ago when I was approved for the CSP.  However, my baddies were never mentioned at this point as a basis for denying my application, and I certainly wasn't bringing it up.  

Second Recon Attempt

I spoke with a rep who went over my profile in detail. We went over every single inquiry and why they were there. We went over every baddie and I explained what happened in each instance (oddly the CO didn't come up). I spent maybe 35 minutes on the phone.  Then he cam back after a long hold and asked why my balances prior to a recent paydown were so high. I explained that I spent 8 months on an unpaid maternity leave and used credit to live until I started working again. Given that maternity leave is not a habitual occurrence, I don't expect to have such high balances going forward. Got put on hold again, then he came back and said they needed to verify my address. I took a copy of my light bill to the branch downstairs. They uploaded it to the system. I spoke with someone else last night to confirm receipt. They reviewed the file again and sent it to verification.  I called verification this morning and they finally confirmed I was approved.  

Final Verdict

Approved for $3K SL (waiting for the welcome package for APR). Not the SL I wanted as I wanted to pay off a $6500 auto loan balance and take advantage of the 0% APR offer, but I'll take it. 

My apping is done for 2018. I will now head to the garden until March 2020. 

Congratulations, and kudos for your persistence Smiley Happy

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 9 of 11
jbsilva21
Regular Contributor

Nice, you really earned your stripes with that one. Way to call em out. I wish DW and I had the same result. I love reading these post, it really inspires me to work even harder to get the cards I want.30 rock good job GIF

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.