cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally Approved for Barclays Rewards!

tag
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

Re: Finally Approved for Barclays Rewards!

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@celticslegends wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Congrats on getting in the door with Barclays. They are a good one.

It was brutal getting in, but I did it.  Hope they are worth it as you say.

Congrats, and I think you'll find it was very much worth it. That Rewards MC is actually an excellent rewards card - 2% rewards for gas, groceries & utilities, and they're very "loose" on what they code into those categories. For example I live in a small town and shop Family Dollar regularly, and any purchase there gets codes as groceries, as does any Walmart purchase, and any conveneience store purchase that sells gas  get coded as a gas purchase. With regular use & good payment history Barclays is very good with auto CLIs, my Rewards MC started with a $1200 in April 2012 and went to $5700 CL with me never requesting a single CLI.

Thanks for the great intel. Do you happen to have the Amex EveryDay card? I was approved for that as well last night and they have similar features. Is Barclays going to be more lenient when it comes to those items, or are they both the same in that regard?

Starting score from CU: (11/13) 520
Recent Scores: TU FICO 08 (7/15) 693; (8/15) 701 | EQ FICO 08 (7/15) 671 | EX FICO 08 (8/15) 684
Goal Score: (Oct '15) 700+
Cards: Cap 1 Venture Signature $5000 Limit | UFCU Visa Plat $4000 Limit | Cap 1 Quicksilver WMEC $5000 Limit | Walmart Store Card $6000 Limit | Amazon Prime Store Card $6000 Limit | Barclays Rewards $1500 Limit | Amex EveryDay Card $2000 Limit | Chase Slate $3000 Limit |
Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

The amex ed and the barclay rewards are the two cards ive been wanting. (Denied rewards last yr). Waiting until Tu goes up a bit more first. Congrats on a great card!
Message 12 of 20
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
The amex ed and the barclay rewards are the two cards ive been wanting. (Denied rewards last yr). Waiting until Tu goes up a bit more first. Congrats on a great card!

I don't believe they base their decision just on score alone. They look at your entire profile. I was denied 3 times in the last year before finally being approved by Barclays yesterday. The Amex approval yesterday was the first time I ever applied for them. I'm glad I got in and now I will gardent for at least 6 months and work on all of these credit limits without any hard pulls.

Pull the trigger on Barclays and see what they say. Do you have any recent derogatories that might bring a denial? Keep me posted Smiley Wink

Recent Scores: TU FICO 08 (7/15) 693; (8/15) 701 | EQ FICO 08 (7/15) 671 | EX FICO 08 (8/15) 684
Cards: Cap 1 Venture Signature $5000 Limit | UFCU Visa Plat $4000 Limit | Cap 1 Quicksilver WMEC $5000 Limit | Walmart Store Card $6000 Limit | Amazon Prime Store Card $6000 Limit | Barclays Rewards $1500 Limit | Amex EveryDay Card $2000 Limit | Chase Slate $3000 Limit |
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

The only baddies on my report are utility (electric) lates but they were 120days late multiple times. Its still an open account and our provider. Mom opened it in my name years ago whn dad was sick, never paid it, because they wouldnt shut off while hes on oxygen. 😏 sad but true.

I will probably apply in the next 30days, as i just paid 6 store cards to zero and hoping TU jumps after that. I will for sure let ya know when i do app.

Fwiw reason for denial last yr was no accts over a year old. They never even mentioned the lates on utility acct.

And good choice on gardening. We all know what Barclays thinks of new cards after them. Thanks!
Message 14 of 20
Shawndoe79
Established Contributor

Congrats, did they triple pull you on TU?  I've read this several times

@celticslegends wrote:

After getting some good news today with a cli increase on my Walmart card and seeing my TU score shoot up to almost 700, I had to pull the trigger again with the Barclays Rewards card. This is the 4th time I have applied with this card and finally got my foot in the door with a $1500 intial credit line. I didn't even app online, as it has been less than 90 days since my last app (May). I called straight in to the recon dept. Once the credit analyst refreshed to my new report she didn't even blink and said I was approved with the $1500 limit. Even though they really made me mad several times, I'm glad I hung in there and got my foot in the door. They have some great cards and it was important for me to establish myself with another lender besides my CU and Capital One. Thanks to everyone out there with all of your great advice. I've been micromanaging my cards and being extremely responsible. It has paid off. Patience. Lesson learned: keep fighting and never give up!

Current Scores EQ 689| EX 688| TU 679
Comenity 57.5k| Navy Fed 52.5k| Capital One 32.3k| Synchrony 23k| BBVA Compass 5.5k| First Commerce 4k| Barclays 1.9k|
GARDENING UNTIL APPING....
Message 15 of 20
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

@Shawndoe79 wrote:

Congrats, did they triple pull you on TU?  I've read this several times

@celticslegends wrote:

After getting some good news today with a cli increase on my Walmart card and seeing my TU score shoot up to almost 700, I had to pull the trigger again with the Barclays Rewards card. This is the 4th time I have applied with this card and finally got my foot in the door with a $1500 intial credit line. I didn't even app online, as it has been less than 90 days since my last app (May). I called straight in to the recon dept. Once the credit analyst refreshed to my new report she didn't even blink and said I was approved with the $1500 limit. Even though they really made me mad several times, I'm glad I hung in there and got my foot in the door. They have some great cards and it was important for me to establish myself with another lender besides my CU and Capital One. Thanks to everyone out there with all of your great advice. I've been micromanaging my cards and being extremely responsible. It has paid off. Patience. Lesson learned: keep fighting and never give up!

No. They just pulled TU. I was approved for the Amex EveryDay thereafter and they pulled Experian.

Message 16 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried that one too but failed.

Congrats! and hope to be there soon!

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats!!!! all ur hard works is paying off

wish i could say welcome to the family, i have just the sallie mae Smiley Sad  i did get in with TU mid 600

Message 18 of 20
celticslegends
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

congrats!!!! all ur hard works is paying off

wish i could say welcome to the family, i have just the sallie mae Smiley Sad  i did get in with TU mid 600

I've heard great things about the Sallie Mae card. I'll shoot for that one next year. For now I am good with what I have. I want to let things age a bit and get my scores well into the solid 700s.

Message 19 of 20
IaBoy62
Established Contributor

congrats...it took me a while too to get Barclay's after  I burned them in BK in 2010 but they have been very good to me.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.