Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Senior Contributor

Finally a Discover CLI w/ >$20k prior limit!

[ Edited ]

This is pretty newsworthy here.  Back at the end of March whenever Discover "broke" whatever they did, many of us stopped getting regular CLIs from them.  More specifically, there were tons of reports of those with > $20k limits being unable to achieve consistent CLIs like they were prior to the end of March.  My last Discover CLI was 9 months and 5 days ago, until finally getting one today.  I've been requesting CLIs from Discover every Monday for over 30 weeks.  Yes, I have a stack of over 30 denial letters, all with the insufficient experience with current credit limit reason stated, which we are all familiar with at this point.

My limit has been stuck at $24,800 since the the beginning of 2017, but received a $5500 increase to $30,300 from my usual Monday SP attempt today. 

Previous monthly spend was $200 from 7 total swipes.  My spend in the previous 7 months while receiving weekly denial letters was $52, $70, $70, $187, $2616, $1744, $1362.  The heavier spends were at the start of the year and in April after having not received a CLI in 3 months (when I did receive 1 a month for the previous 4 months) I put the brakes on big time and moved my spend to other cards as you can see.  I was hoping that some "tough love" would stimulate a CLI, but it didn't. 

My aggregate utilization is always 1% and my Discover utilization reported is always 0% or 1%, depending on the month and if I feel like reporting a balance.

Hopefully this data is useful.  For those that have been unable to get a CLI since before March with Discover, I say now is the time to try again if you haven't recently!Discover CLI.jpg

Oh BTW my TU FICO 08 score as provided by Discover is at 768.  TU is my only dirty bureau, so Discover sees my worst report unfortunately.

Established Contributor

Re: Finally a Discover CLI w/ >$20k prior limit!

BrutalBodyShots wrote:

This is pretty newsworthy here.  Back at the end of March whenever Discover "broke" whatever they did, many of us stopped getting regular CLIs from them.  More specifically, there were tons of reports of those with > $20k limits being unable to achieve consistent CLIs like they were prior to the end of March.  My last Discover CLI was 9 months and 5 days ago, until finally getting one today.  I've been requesting CLIs from Discover every Monday for over 30 weeks.  Yes, I have a stack of over 30 denial letters, all with the insufficient experience with current credit limit reason stated, which we are all familiar with at this point.

My limit has been stuck at $24,800 since the the beginning of 2017, but received a $5500 increase to $30,300 from my usual Monday SP attempt today. 

Previous monthly spend was $200 from 7 total swipes.  My spend in the previous 7 months while receiving weekly denial letters was $52, $70, $70, $187, $2616, $1744, $1362.  The heavier spends were at the start of the year and in April after having not received a CLI in 3 months (when I did receive 1 a month for the previous 4 months) I put the brakes on big time and moved my spend to other cards as you can see.  I was hoping that some "tough love" would stimulate a CLI, but it didn't. 

My aggregate utilization is always 1% and my Discover utilization reported is always 0% or 1%, depending on the month and if I feel like reporting a balance.

Hopefully this data is useful.  For those that have been unable to get a CLI since before March with Discover, I say now is the time to try again if you haven't recently!Discover CLI.jpg

Oh BTW my TU FICO 08 score as provided by Discover is at 768.  TU is my only dirty bureau, so Discover sees my worst report unfortunately.

Regular Contributor

Congrats BBS! I always read your post on the other thread about the luck you have been having with Disco CLI's. Finally! Let's hope that the gates continue to remain open.

FICO 8 scores as of 9/2017
EX: 734 TU: 735 EQ: 729
Age of Oldest Acct.: 1 Year
Ave. Age of Accts: 7 mos.

Goal Score: 800 Across the board
Gardening until March 2018

Senior Contributor

Thanks.  I'm hoping others will try for CLIs now and chime in as to whether they see success now when perhaps they haven't in quite some time.  As of now I'm considering myself an outlier, but I'd very much like to hear that's not the case and that many others are seeing green after having been dried up for a long time.

Senior Contributor

Brutal, i know how much this one meant to you and am happy they finally caved from having to print so many denial letters. No $500 soup for you, definetly collect you $200 + and please pass GOSmiley Wink
Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

Congrats!

I have a theory that balance transfers using most of the limit also get increases.
Established Contributor

Big Congrats BBS on the increase finally! Maybe the disco train is back re boarding its passengers once again guess we will see 😉

FICO8 Scores:// 10/18/2017 TU:// 737 EQ:// 738 EX:// 764
Inquires TU:// 10 EQ:// 11 EX:// 15
Total Utilization:// 4%
Total Revolving CL:// $371,700k
Established Contributor

Congrats!
Senior Contributor
0 Kudos

JSS3 wrote:

I have a theory that balance transfers using most of the limit also get increases.

I think using most of any limit, regardless of whether it's through a BT or purchases is going to greatly improve CLI chances. The problem is of course, once you get to a 5-figure limit or higher, using most of that limit for most people with an average income or even slightly above average income is almost impossible.

Established Contributor

Congratulations brutal nice cli. Dv

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.