Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally being accepted by the big brands. Amex and Citi approvals

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Finally being accepted by the big brands. Amex and Citi approvals

Destroyed my credit around 2009-2010 when i was around 19 years old. Spent the next too many years going down a horrible path of drug addiction. Got clean march 9th 2015 and have been trying to rebuild from scores in the low 500s for a little over a year now. Started my journey with the notoriously bad First Premier Bank card. 

I had gotten to the point where i could get accepted by all the bad credit lenders, and a decent amount of store cards (also a cap 1 platnum) but would alway be rejected by all of the big name cards (amex, citi, chase, discover, ect). Bassically any card that was actually good with decent rewards. 

Before yesterday i had gotten my ficos up to an average of 654 and had these cards

First Premier Bank  - $300

Credit One - $500

Capital One Plat - $500 (CLI from 300-500 in june after 5 months of payments)

Amazon store card - $1000 (just recieved CLI from 700)

Walmart Store card - $1050 (just recieved CLI from 900)

Paypal Mastercard - $700 (CLI denied)

Havnt gotten anything new or apped for much in a good couple months so i decided to try the Amex pre-approval. I try it maybe once a week and never get any offers. This time i got pre-approved for the Blue Cash Everyday card. Apped and Approved for $500!!

Later that night i was researching TVs as i am looking to get a new one and saw a promo on bestbuys site offering 10% back on first purchase with either their store card or the citi bank bestbuy visa. Apped and got Approved for the Citi Visa with a $2000 starting limit!!! I was blown away by the SL, as its almost 3x higher then my highest limit non-store card

Feels really good to have finally gotten in the door at both Amex and Citi, and to now have cards with no AF that actually offer decent cashback/rewards. 

Back to the garden for now for at least a couple months. My plan is to cancel the FPB and Creditone next month before they hit me with the next AF, and just work on raising the other cards limits rather then getting any more cards anytime soon. 

BTW i always pay in full every month

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Finally being accepted by the big brands. Amex and Citi approvals

Nice! Congrats! Its gotta be nice to finally get some really nice cards that you'll love using.
Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wtg on conquering your credit and addiction. This forum is full of amazing and people and stories, such an uplifting place to visit.

Wtg on getting in with Citi and Amex. I can't wait to see those cards grow!
Message 3 of 19
peghede
Valued Contributor

Congrats m8

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! Come join us in the garden!
Message 5 of 19
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

Congrats!! Low limits but gotta start somewhere. That Amex will grow fast within the next year and could have a 4 digit CL if you treat it right. 

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Way to go, that is awesome!!! Feels good seeing those approvals come in. I'm so happy to hear you've gotten clean, that is an impressive feat in itself!
Message 7 of 19
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Way to go, that is awesome!!! Feels good seeing those approvals come in. I'm so happy to hear you've gotten clean, that is an impressive feat in itself!

Sounding like op got out of CC "rehab"...Smiley Very Happy

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 8 of 19
JoeLuvsHisCredit
Valued Contributor

Congrats

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone who has responded. I really appreciate it!

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.