cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally some success after nursing my score back to health :)

tag
minimist
New Contributor

Finally some success after nursing my score back to health :)

I still very much consider myself to be in the rebuilding stage. I'd been making so much progress after starting rebuilding in Oct 2013 but fell off after I had an unexpected emergency this time last year causing me to rack up a 30 day late fee on almost all of my cards in May except for one. I've been in rebuilding mode pt2 ever since that happened but have been starting to see more results so far this year. I know how a lot of you feel about Comenity SCT cards, and I admit to having opener's remorse about 2 of them (Avenue and Fullbeauty), but I've liked the ones that I actually use. Well since Jan I've gotten CLI's on all of them, they are all at $800 with the exception of JCrew which I got up to $500 after pulling teeth. I see a lot of posts about how other people's JCrew grows massively but that hasn't been the case for me and it is the card I use the most with them! Also in Jan I took out an auto loan for $16k

After the CLIs my score started to improve some more and I was able to pay down a significant portion of my CC Christmas balances when I got my bonus in Feb. I got a CLI on my Credit One of 650 bringing it to $1350 and my scores jumped even further. So I was feeling pretty good as I've never seen my EX above 600 and my TU and EQ were reporting the highest I'd seen them as well (616 and 625 respectively). I know these aren't great scores in the grand scheme of things, but after spending almost 3 years in the mid 500's I was very happy. Other than my car, I hadn't applied for any new credit in about 2 years so I decided to go on a tiny app spree last week. I applied for the Amazon Prime store card and got an SL of $800 which I was denied for about 2 years ago. I also applied for the walmart card as I'd seen it suggested to apply for those together if you get approved for one. I had to call in to verify info and was approved for $250. I didn't want to push my luck so I didn't ask for a CLI and will just let it grow organically. I then applied for the QS1 and Discover IT cards. I'm a little surprised that I didn't hear anything back from Cap One immediately, but my EQ has had fraud issues so I think I will have to call and verify. I got the wait message for Discover too, but got an email a few days later saying that I was approved. I COULD NOT believe my eyes!! That one was a super long shot and I 100% expected to be denied (again lol, was denied back in 2010). I know that I squeaked by on the approval as my SL is only $500 @ the highest APR but I am still ecstatic! I got the card yesterday and it is just so beautiful.

For those wondering, and I'm sorry I've always been a rambler, I have a total of 9 baddies on my CR, the 7 late payments from May of last year, 1 collection and one charge off. Scores at time of approval were all low 600's.

Thanks again everyone for the help, advise, and inspiration!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
fullstackdev
Frequent Contributor

Re: Finally some success after nursing my score back to health :)

Congrats on your approvals. Good luck on your rebuilding journey!
Mar 2017: EQ 733 80 INQ | TU 768 42 INQ | EX 755 80 INQ || AMEX PRG | AMEX BGR | USAA Rewards VS $17K | USAA NAMF AMEX $15K | SECU Visa $10K | Cap1 V1 (AU) $45.75K | AMEX BCE (AU) $10K | Marvel MC $25K | Walmart MC $10K | Freedom $12.2K | USAA Cash Rewards VS $18K | Walmart SC $25K | PENFED CR $9K | AMEX EDP $24K | Banana Republic SC $10K | MECU $10K | Amazon SC $25K | Barclays Apple Rewards $10K | J. Crew $13.6K | Cap1 PlayStation $3K | Cap1 QS1 $2.6K | Business: AMEX Green NPSL | AMEX SimplyCash $2K | AMEX Blue for Business $3K | Cap1 Spark Visa $7.5K | Amazon Rev. $2.5K | Amazon PIF (No PG) $1K | Walmart (No PG) $2.5K | Chase Marriott Business $30K | Chase Ink $14K
Message 2 of 5
minimist
New Contributor

Thank you! I think in another 2 years I will be completely fine credit wise. I don't have a super pressing need for any more credit at the moment. The Amex delta gold card is the last one I want but that is a long ways off.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations! You're definitely headed in the right direction. Keep up the good work!
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats! This is what rebuilding is all about!Majority of us have been in your shoes. When you reach that golden number of 600 for all credit bureaus, it is such a relief. Then, when you get that first approval,you're in shock! Then, as you get more and more, you feel like you have just won the lottery. You'll start seeing more congratulations in the future. Because this board is all about encouraging. Before you know it, you'll reach that plateau where you get that first Amex Delta Gold, and know that you made it!

I say this because I was where you were, in 8/2014. With across the board - low to mid 500s. Got majority of my cards through the SCT, thanks to this community. Never be ashamed of that. Because that's how majority of us began our rebuilding phase. Fast forward to today, my scores are Ex 678, Trans 675, and EQ 652. I have all the cards I was declined in 2014 for, Including Amazon ($3500), Walmart ($3500), Target ($500), etc. And, I was just approved this week for 3 Amex cards, including the Delta Gold.

You'll see. Anything is possible. And, that is what this board is all about! Good luck on your journey! 😊
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.