Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time Amex approval - need knowledge on charge card

tag
kchui1028
Contributor

First time Amex approval - need knowledge on charge card

So I applied for a AMEX Green Card on a whim today after getting approved on a Chase Freedom.

It's my very first AMEX and my first charge card.

I have some questions.

1) I understand I have to pay off a charge card every month. How would I know what's the invisble limit on a card since it's obviously not a no-limit card even though it's a charge card.

2) What kind of purchases are best to be made on a AMEX charge card instead of a Chase Freedom card? since I always PIF regardless.

3) Now that I have approved for these two cards, Is it wise for me to cancel the Cap1 secured card with 2 years hisotry that's got 3.3k limit so i can get my 3k deposit back? If not, when should i do it?

4) What are some great benefits that AMEX green provides that trumps Chase Freedom?

Thanks in advance.

J.C.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
mojobones89
Contributor

Re: First time Amex approval - need knowledge on charge card

Rep told me that usually depending on your credit if one were to reach close to 1k of an outstanding balance that is the best way to call for a spending limit ability to just make sure the card won't get denied,but if u notice yourself over that 1k without declines to check up every 1k after that,usually when u make a large purchase larger than 1k you would most likely need to call to verify.also on that note,the card adjusts to your spending habit i.e if you normally use 500 in total Purchases a month but out or nowhere u start spending 2k and make a large transaction that would require a spending limit increase.
Message 2 of 8
kchui1028
Contributor

@mojobones89 wrote:
Rep told me that usually depending on your credit if one were to reach close to 1k of an outstanding balance that is the best way to call for a spending limit ability to just make sure the card won't get denied,but if u notice yourself over that 1k without declines to check up every 1k after that,usually when u make a large purchase larger than 1k you would most likely need to call to verify.also on that note,the card adjusts to your spending habit i.e if you normally use 500 in total Purchases a month but out or nowhere u start spending 2k and make a large transaction that would require a spending limit increase.

Cool Thanks for the tip!

Message 3 of 8
kchui1028
Contributor

Also what's this "back date" thing i am reading so much about on AMEX cards.. is it really important?

Message 4 of 8
mojobones89
Contributor

That's only for people who have had Amex before,Amex would backdate the persons newest card to very first time that persons Amex account was opened.it is very important for those people to do that because it will improve aaoa instead of having a new account and dropping the persons aaoa.
Message 5 of 8
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

@kchui1028 wrote:

So I applied for a AMEX Green Card on a whim today after getting approved on a Chase Freedom.

I have some questions.

1) I understand I have to pay off a charge card every month. How would I know what's the invisble limit on a card since it's obviously not a no-limit card even though it's a charge card. They start out slowly, it's approved me almost 15k after 5 months used. About 2 3k when first open.

2) What kind of purchases are best to be made on a AMEX charge card instead of a Chase Freedom card? since I always PIF regardless. Put everything on it if you want to build relationship with them for a future apps card. They have a great collection of nice travel card and rewards.

3) Now that I have approved for these two cards, Is it wise for me to cancel the Cap1 secured card with 2 years hisotry that's got 3.3k limit so i can get my 3k deposit back? If not, when should i do it? CAll CAp executive and ask if they can convert your card to one of their unsecured rewards card and with no annual fees. Make sure there no HARDPULL.

4) What are some great benefits that AMEX green provides that trumps Chase Freedom?. I dont owned Chase Freedom but i love how the green benefits thou. Look it up on their website. One of my experiene, I purchase 55 samsung tv on Black Friday and return it back due to internet after 1 day, Sears charge me 10% restocking fees(ouch) but i got Amex cover. I call them and credit the whole 10% ASAP after i file claim.

Thanks in advance.

J.C.

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 6 of 8
HiLine
Blogger

@nicholasyud wrote:

@kchui1028 wrote:

I have some questions.

1) I understand I have to pay off a charge card every month. How would I know what's the invisble limit on a card since it's obviously not a no-limit card even though it's a charge card. They start out slowly, it's approved me almost 15k after 5 months used. About 2 3k when first open.

2) What kind of purchases are best to be made on a AMEX charge card instead of a Chase Freedom card? since I always PIF regardless. Put everything on it if you want to build relationship with them for a future apps card. They have a great collection of nice travel card and rewards.

3) Now that I have approved for these two cards, Is it wise for me to cancel the Cap1 secured card with 2 years hisotry that's got 3.3k limit so i can get my 3k deposit back? If not, when should i do it? CAll CAp executive and ask if they can convert your card to one of their unsecured rewards card and with no annual fees. Make sure there no HARDPULL.

4) What are some great benefits that AMEX green provides that trumps Chase Freedom?. I dont owned Chase Freedom but i love how the green benefits thou. Look it up on their website. One of my experiene, I purchase 55 samsung tv on Black Friday and return it back due to internet after 1 day, Sears charge me 10% restocking fees(ouch) but i got Amex cover. I call them and credit the whole 10% ASAP after i file claim.

Thanks in advance.

J.C.

On 4), I'm pretty sure Chase has their own purchase guard program that would allow you to return the TV for free anyway. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 8
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

I won't speak to the other questions but the NPSL was also my major concern when I got the card. The first month I charged 8k, about 25% of my total CLs on my other accounts. Over time I've had occasion to charge much higher amounts and I have checked SL twice when I thought I might be exceeding their internal limits but was approved each time. About a year after I had the account I charged one item that exceeded the sum of all my CLs without a problem. The ability to charge especailly large amounts is really a major Amex benefit. They make money from this and are predisposed to approve amounts that exceed other lines once you have established a pattern of paying consistently.

My guess is that following a similar pattern adjusted for whatever lines you have, would be acceptable. If for some reason they don't that's what other cards are for. One caveat, I think the important thing is that they see a pif pattern on all your cards and may be more likely to impose a lower limit if you don't.  Amex historically was the card of choice for business travelers who spend a lot as part of their job. Charge cards are ideal for these uses.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.