Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas Card Approvals

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gas Card Approvals

Last week I was approved for the Texaco/Chevron card with a credit line of $400 - I was happy for it, but at the same time not overly excited because we surprisingly do not have any Chevron or Texaco stations in my town, so it will probably utilizied on road trips if I see those stations in other cities. Earlier today I applied for both the Exxon and Shell cards and was approved for both with a starting line of $200 each. I was surprised to be approved for them, as I had previously been denied for both of them, and since Citi Bank is their issuer I figued they would be a lot harder to get. I called the customer service line to see about getting an increase in the starting line, but they couldn't pull up my account - so they told me to try after 24 hours because it may not be in their system yet, I thought that was weird, but hoping I can get an increase within the next couple of days. Even though they are just gas cards, will this get my foot in the door with Citi Bank for their normal credit cards in the future? 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gas Card Approvals

@Anonymous wrote:

Last week I was approved for the Texaco/Chevron card with a credit line of $400 - I was happy for it, but at the same time not overly excited because we surprisingly do not have any Chevron or Texaco stations in my town, so it will probably utilizied on road trips if I see those stations in other cities. Earlier today I applied for both the Exxon and Shell cards and was approved for both with a starting line of $200 each. I was surprised to be approved for them, as I had previously been denied for both of them, and since Citi Bank is their issuer I figued they would be a lot harder to get. I called the customer service line to see about getting an increase in the starting line, but they couldn't pull up my account - so they told me to try after 24 hours because it may not be in their system yet, I thought that was weird, but hoping I can get an increase within the next couple of days. Even though they are just gas cards, will this get my foot in the door with Citi Bank for their normal credit cards in the future? 

Congratulations to you!...Thanks for sharing.Smiley LOL

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats.  In my town, we don't have either Chevron, Shell, or Exxon; Just Phillips 66 and Valero. 

Message 3 of 7
CountryLivin
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Congratulations on the approvals! Don't get upset if you don't get an increase......your limit with the citi gas cards will go up at the 6 month mark, as long as you take care of them. In my opinion, I don't think it will make much difference with these cards to get the normal Citi cards.  The gas cards are co-branded, so their underwriting isn't the same as the regular Citi-Cards. It's all going to depend on your credit file and what it will support.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the old days my Sears retail card and Shell gas card got converted to MasterCards. Not sure if shell does that any more, sears does.

Best buy, tough nut to crack. However retail card History might help getting that one, where as stated above they won't have leverage in a citi bank card decision.
Message 5 of 7
Vegas4Play
Valued Contributor

Congrats to you !!!

Fico 8's TU 756/ EQ 754/ EX 743- 8/2020// AAoA 5.7 years // Lines August 2020 = 619k Personal - Business 61k // Inquiries 6 TU - 0 Exp - 0 Eq.
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.