Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got approved three cards in one week.

tag
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

Got approved three cards in one week.

Got approved three credit cards this week, Barclay Reward Mastercard 2.5k , Citi Student Forward  2.5k , Chase Freedom 5k. Three shots, three hits.

Let's start with my background: 21, student, TU Fico 720ish by Walmart Card.

Credit Card:  CrapOne $750 1 yeah 6 months, Walmart Discover $4k 10 months old, Paypal Mastercard $5.5K 10 months , Discover card $2K 10 months,  used to have an Amex Zync for 4 months but got canceled because of financial review. All the cards got auto or manual CLI every 3 months except CrapOne.

No credit products other than these cards, no baddies, most time pay in full before statement date, not this month, there's a 15% utilization rate this month, but I never carry a balance. 

23 inquires on report two weeks ago, about half of them within one year, 6 within six months, all for credit cards.  

So last week, I applied for Barclay card and got instantly approved for $500, called Recon the next day to raise it to $2.5K.

The second day, I applied for Citi Forward and got standard 30-day notice, didn't plan to call Recon because that night I leanrt that Citi was very inquiry sensitive so better not waste the time. Three days later, received an e-mail saying I got approved for 2.5K, and I was astonished and thinking **bleep**, nonetheless the next day I called Recon asking for $4K limit, got 6-months-waiting-period message told by some Indian guy, never mind, already satisfied. And next time, please don't waste time on Citi Recon.

This afternoon, (the previous two cards havn't showed up on CreditKarma yet and the utilization is still 19%) I tried for Chase Freedom, got the 30 day message as expected, called Recon and was told the computer rejected me and the lady transfered to some credit analyst, then he asked me some unusual identifying questions(when did you opened your checking account, how much did you deposit last time), followed by a five minutes holding, then I got approved $5K.   BTW, I have a checking account with Chase for 1 year, average daily balance $2K.  Not sure it's because of this or my sexy voice.

Didn't plan to post anything until the Chase card got approved, which is really kind of unusual considering the whopping 23 inquiries and my short credit history and AAOA. This is my story , thank you for reading. 

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Re: Got approved three cards in one week.

Wow!  Congratulations!  You've definitely started out on the right track.  But be sure you stay around here and learn all that you can about credit so that you don't make any mistakes.  It's great to see young people starting out doing the right thing and being responsible.  Congrats again!

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 2 of 16
enharu
Super Contributor

grats on the approval!

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 3 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Congrats on your approvals! When I applied for Freedom they asked me some questions about payments made to my auto loan I have with them ie amount, date of last payment, balance etc.

Regarding your FR, did you decide not to send the form to Amex?
Message 4 of 16
Rackham94
Established Contributor

I have similar story!!!

Congrats!!! I am also young (18) very inspiring!  Congrats congrats a tons bud!

Message 5 of 16
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Congrats on your approvals! When I applied for Freedom they asked me some questions about payments made to my auto loan I have with them ie amount, date of last payment, balance etc.

Regarding your FR, did you decide not to send the form to Amex?

It's because I didn't report tax the previous year so I counld not produce tax form Amex demanded.

Fide Amex 15K | Barclays Reward 3.5K | Citi Forward Student 5K | Discover IT 12.8K | US Cash Reward 6K | GE Paypal 5.5K | Wal Discover 6K | CapOne 3.5K | Kohl's 0.3K
Message 6 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

So, you have income that you did not need to or have not disclosed on your taxes?

If you don't mind...sorry if I'm getting off topic
Message 7 of 16
w20031424
Frequent Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
So, you have income that you did not need to or have not disclosed on your taxes?

If you don't mind...sorry if I'm getting off topic

The first year, I have something like 1K income for the whole year, like selling some cookies.. lawn mowning. So I didn't need to report according to the law.  As for the checking account balance, that's money givn't by my parents, which doesn't count as income.

Message 8 of 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 9 of 16
Laugh
Frequent Contributor

If you don't mind answering, what is your income?

Cards: CSP 6k, Chase Freedom 6k, BCP 7.5k, Sallie Mae 8.9k, Discover 5k, BOFA Better Rewards 3.8k
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.