Re: How long can a charge-off haunt me?

@Anonymous wrote:
7 years from the charge off date

+180 days officially

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in the process of paying off a Chase Charge-off.  They were very specific that if I didn't pay in full I would never be considered for a Chase card again.

I had considered settling, but decided it would be better to pay the full amount and not burn that bridge.  I guess I will see when I pay it off if I can get approved by them again or if they were just using that has a tactic to get me not to selttle. 

Message 12 of 16
Scott_S
Regular Contributor

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

You are on their blacklist due to prior relationship problems.     There is no time limit for when, if ever, you can get off this list.  AMEX blacklists people "forever," though some people have gotten back in after 20 years.  I have heard Chase isn't that bad and some have gotten in after 10 years.  Blacklists are not uncommon with large lenders.  Just avoid people you have burned in the past (unless it's Cap 1, Barclay's, Synch ... who will forgive and give new credit.)  Chase is known to have a very long memory.  You don't need them!  Other lenders' money spends just as well.

Synchrony Has Blacklisted Me For 6 Years So Far & I Would Expect For Many More.  I Allowed $125 Walmart Balance To Charge Off 6 Years Ago & Now I Can Not Get A Single Card They Issue.

Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Capty.   I know this is a couple month old thread but......I am just starting our journey and trying to  hit it hard this year.

The Chase CO they told you to pay, are they still holding the debt directly it or is/was it with a CA when they said they wanted you to pay to be able to reconsider you in the future?

Thanks!!!

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

7 Years.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CH-7-Mission-Accomplished wrote:

You are on their blacklist due to prior relationship problems.     There is no time limit for when, if ever, you can get off this list.  AMEX blacklists people "forever," though some people have gotten back in after 20 years.  I have heard Chase isn't that bad and some have gotten in after 10 years.  Blacklists are not uncommon with large lenders.  Just avoid people you have burned in the past (unless it's Cap 1, Barclay's, Synch ... who will forgive and give new credit.)  Chase is known to have a very long memory.  You don't need them!  Other lenders' money spends just as well.

Perhaps, It's a shame though they pretty much have a monopoly on all the best travel cards.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.