cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I did it - Barclay Rewards Approval

tag
CharityV

I did it - Barclay Rewards Approval

I couldn't bring myself to try for the Arrival, even though the pre-approval link gave me the congratulations message for it. I just don't think I would have been approved, all of my research indicated it required excellent credit. Anyway, I DID apply for the Barclay Rewards card - and was instantly approved! $1300 limit.

You guys, this is the first cc I have had on my own in something like....over a decade! When I was young I really screwed up my credit. I've been an AU on the DH's card since we got married, but that's it! It was kind of an empowering moment to see that approval come through. Smiley Happy Anyway, um question is - what now?? Should I apply for something else while the HP is fresh? People seem to do this in groups, and I know 1 cc is not enough for a solid portfolio. And if I do apply for something else, what should it be? I don't want to put a bunch of HP on my CRs if I can help it, so I want to be really careful and considered about how I proceed. So, what next? Help a girl out!

Starting Scores (4/1/2014): Mine 654 Ex/639 Eq/ 641 TU DH 650 Eq
4/25/14: Mine 654 Ex/734 Eq/ 641 TU DH 720 Eq

Gardening until April 30th, 2015 - Mouse over card for limit.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: I did it - Barclay Rewards Approval

Congrats! Great job! I think Barclays will really grow with you and will also encourage you to not expand too quickly! Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Grats on your new Barclays card Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 17
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Congrats! You could give the Discover IT a shot or wait 6 months and try then after showing some history.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 4 of 17
NursePurse
Frequent Contributor

Congrats!!

EQ FICO 694 TU FICO 689 EXP FICO 695(Started rebuilding in Nov 2013, student loan charge-off's dating from 2011, all marked as paid on CRB's) 14% Utl Chase United Mileage Plus $5G/Citi DoubleCash $4G/USAirways MC $5G/NFCU cashRewards $11,500/Navcheck $10G/Cap1 Quicksilver1 $2,500/Cap1 Quicksilver1 $2G/Gap $2500/Barclay Rewards MC $1G/Walmart $2,500/CareCredit joint $8400 LOFT/Express/VS all $2500 /J.Crew$7500/True Value $3G/True Value Discover$3G/Nordstrom $6G/Amazon $4G/ Amex Hilton HHonors $1G/Chase Amazon $500/Chase Freedom $2G/Paypal MC $4G/Amex Everyday $2G/Venture $5G/Amex Costco$2G
Message 5 of 17
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats

Message 6 of 17
CharityV

Thank you everyone! And based on advice I received in a previous thread, I also went ahead and had the DH apply for the same card (his own, instead of adding him as an AU to mine), and he was just approved for a $1500 CL. Smiley Happy So now we will each have access to our TU CR each month, which was the real draw for me with this card. I am super excited.

I have heard of people reconning right after approval for higher CL immediately...is it worth it to try this? What do they typically look for?

Our goal is to get into an AMEX Skymiles card as soon as possible. (We would actually use the miles, husband flies Delta exclusively for an international business trip every year). We aren't there yet, but I feel like this is a solid step down the road to get there. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 17
BigBS
Senior Contributor

Congrats to both of you!

Score: EQ(809) EX(819) TU(800)
INQs: EQ(7) EX(16) TU(8)
Last INQ: 13 Jul 23

Total Credit Limit - $2.0M

Message 8 of 17
CharityV

Ha ha! Okay. So, the husband already has a Chase card, on which I am an AU. (Rewards card from 2005).  It's the card we JUST paid the balance down on, from 90% utilization down to less than 20%. But I looked at the cards people typically recommend alongside the Barclays, because I want at least 2 cc of my very own to garden with. Between the Discover IT and the Chase Freedom, I liked the Freedom best, so I checked their pre-qualification, and it did give me the pre-approved message. (To my surprise). I waffled, but went ahead and pulled the trigger. APPROVED! But the CL is only a measly $500. No problem. I can grow that, and it's still a lot better than a declined, right? What would you all recommend to make that CL grow quickest? And should I stop now that I have two cards? The plan is to garden for a year, and then apply for the AMEX card next May.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.