Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I feel so helpful, I just have to let somebody know

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

I feel so helpful, I just have to let somebody know

Hi, I'm still fairly new to this forum as this is only my third post I believe. Anyways, I just helped my cousin get his first credit card & it made me feel good like I was the one who got approved. 

He's 20 with no credit but has a steady income. He came to me because I'm 19 with a Discover It Students- $1000, Macys- $1200, & Amex BCE- $3500. He said he wanted to start building his credit so he can have available money like me just in case he needs it. I asked him a few questions such as if he had any phone bills or anything else in his name, which he didn't, & what his income is, which is in the high eight-thousands, but I said to round his income to $9k. I told him because he has no credit whatsoever he might have to get a secured credit card which he didn't mind & I said that the best bet would be Capital One since he didn't belong to any CU. I went on the site to look at all of the cards, told him to apply for the Platinum first before wasting money on a secured card. He applies & what do you know? Approved! Of course a low limit of $300 but Capital One does that whole 5 month CLI thing. 

Just wanted to share his approval for him lol Smiley Happy 

I like seeing people succeed & being only 20, credit is one of the first steps to take to have a successful life (or in America anyway).

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
One7
Valued Contributor

Re: I feel so helpful, I just have to let somebody know

Awesome job! Congratulations, I bet he's happy, I know I was extatic when I got my first. Nice work

EX 810 EQ 805 TU 792 Diners WEMC 15k Chase United Club VS 15k | Hyatt VS 25k | Ritz VI 5k | Frdm VS 6k | CSP VS 5k | Mariott VS 6k | Amzn VS 16k Citi ExecAA WEMC 18k | TYP VS 7k | Costco VS 9k | Hilton Reserve VS 6k | Best Buy Visa 5k BofA Travel VS 30k | Cash VS 41k | Merrill+ VS 46k Barclay Rwds WMC 6k | Hawaiin WEMC 10k | JetBlue WEMC 8k | Aviator S WEMC 6k Amex Plat: NPSL | BCP 8k | SPG 3k WF Rwds VS 9k | Propel World Amex 25k | Dillards Amex 2k BBVA NBA Amex 10k Cap1 GM WEMC 8k | QS Visa 3k | Saks WEMC 9k NASA 30k Discover It 7k | US Bank Cash+ VS 15k | Flex Perks VS 20k ||| Total Rwds VS 12k | SG Rwds 11k | Walmrt MC 8k | Lowes 17k | Bowflex 9k | J Deere 15k | TJ Max 4k | Care 15k | HDepot 20k | Amzn 5k | PPal Extras 8k | Chvron 10k | Macys 15k | JCrew 18k | Marvel 8k | Stash VS 8k | Cabelas 10k | Statefarm 12k | Nordstrom Visa 10k \\\\Gardening since January////
Message 2 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

Congratulations to your cousin, and good advice from you.

You'll see some bashing of CapOne, but this is the kind of thing they do well, take a chance on someone early on in their credit journey.

Be sure to remind him when he's further down the road and CapOne seems slow, they were the ones who were there for him back in the day!

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

congrats

Message 4 of 18
JoshuaHolySpirit
Frequent Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

Congratulations to your cousin, and good advice from you.

You'll see some bashing of CapOne, but this is the kind of thing they do well, take a chance on someone early on in their credit journey.

Be sure to remind him when he's further down the road and CapOne seems slow, they were the ones who were there for him back in the day!

Isn't that a great feeling that you've helped someone?

Now exactly as what NRB525 said.

Don't diss Cap One later down the road since they were the only decent ones that pulled him up from the credit ditch when no one did.

Cap One also has some high end cards like Venture One. You know it all-!!!!!

Capital One QS1, Capital One Journey, Williams-Sonoma Visa, Amex Travelocity, Chase Slate, Amex SPG, Amex Blue Sky, Bank of America Travel Rewards, JCPenney...and more ( Holy Spirit rocks-!! ) TU-Fico-777
Message 5 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations to your cousin for his approval. And way to go for helping him get his first credit card Smiley Happy.

Message 7 of 18
newhis
Valued Contributor

Congrats on the approval and also to you helping

Message 8 of 18
Anomalous
Senior Contributor

Awesome! Congratulations!

Keep both your credit and your body in top shape!

Message 9 of 18
uswala
Senior Contributor

Congrats!

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.