Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I said 'NO" to a Visa

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I said 'NO" to a Visa

@j_casteel wrote:

Don't get me wrong...that's a good offer. I just think she is stating a personal accomplishment of whether it's a good deal or not she can decline an offer because she doesn't need it rather than before when she would jump all over offers just because.

Pretty much, this. The OP started out with a secured card. She just feels a sense of accomplishment by being at a point in her life where she can pick and choose which cards to get rather than just going with any creditor that's willing to extend a few hundred bucks her way at an astronomical rate.

Message 11 of 47
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

With that kind of limit and rate with no hp needed I believe I would have taken it whether I needed it or not.  I can't honestly say I really NEEDED any of my cards.

I guess I am not up to master jedi level yet.  Smiley Sad

Message 12 of 47
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

I guess the simple answer here is that, as one responder said, I can now be picky about my cards. I don't want to just accumulate cards, there has to be a compelling reason to get it.

The NFCU is fabulous, and I use it for everything. I specifically wanted a DiscoverIT, and was able to get a $7K CL (even though I wasn't thrilled about the interest rate). Adding a new card right now would certainly impact my AAOC, which is suffering right now due to the NFCU Visa (10/2013), DiscoverIT (7/2014), a car loan through NFCU (12/2013).

A card would have to be spectacular right now for me to push the button.

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*
Message 13 of 47
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

While I was typing that lengthy reply, I see that a lot of folks who 'get it' have checked in.

It's EXACTLY about how far I've come, a lack of desperation, having good options available to me, and acting (or not acting) on those good options as I see fit. It's about being in charge of my finances and, very importantly, in a better relationship with money than ever before. Heck, four years ago I was a credit version of Ado Annie from the musical Oklahoma, spending my days singing "I'm just a girl who cain't say no! I'm in a terrible mess!"

I feel like I'm getting very close to being Master of this credit thing, and I can honestly say that I couldn't/wouldn't have done it without MyFICO and these forums. 

Message 14 of 47
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

PS - I sure wouldn't say no to a CLI on my NFCU Signature Visa. I just don't want another hard pull right now, I understand that anything over $25K is a manual review anyway.

Message 15 of 47
H14
Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

With that kind of limit and rate with no hp needed I believe I would have taken it whether I needed it or not.  I can't honestly say I really NEEDED any of my cards.

I guess I am not up to master jedi level yet.  Smiley Sad

I would guess the "no hp" part was just about checking if anything was available. Had she accepted it probably would have been a hard pull. 

And Congrats op!

Message 16 of 47
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@gamegrrl wrote:

PS - I sure wouldn't say no to a CLI on my NFCU Signature Visa. I just don't want another hard pull right now, I understand that anything over $25K is a manual review anyway.

Thought you said it was going to be no HP for it though?

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 17 of 47
Glkslngr
Frequent Contributor

@gamegrrl wrote:

So I'm on the phone with PNC, upgrading my plain old checking account to a Virtual Wallet. I only have this checking account because having it and making automatic payments on my PNC HELOC from it saves me a bit on my HELOC interest rate. A $7 monthly service charge started last month, and by switching to Virtual Wallet, I will be able to avoid any service fees at all (since everything I do with the account is electronic).

The guy is taking my info and such, and he says, "If you would like, you can provide your income to see if we have any credit card offers for you." I said, would this involve a hard pull? When he said no, I figured why not, and gave him my income figure.

Moments later, he offered me a PNC Visa with a $16K limit. No annual fee, but the post-introductory (0% for 12 billing cycles) rate was 11%. So I said "No thank you".

The reason this is noteworthy is that MyFICO has guided me from a point where I was LUCKY to have a $300 secured CapitalOne card to where I am now: Thinking nothing of turning down a major credit card with a nice credit line at an interest rate that I couldn't even hope for a few years ago.

Don't get me wrong: It sure as heck felt great to get that offer! But it felt even better to say, "No thank you. I don't need it."

Oh, and he was telling me that I could transfer all my other balances to this card to take advantage of the 0% while I pay them down. "Sorry" said I, "but I don't carry any balances on my cards." Go me :-D

My $25K NFCU Signature Visa at 9.65% is an awful hard act to follow.

Thank you, MyFICO, for helping me to improve my life.

Haaa! Love it. Smiley Happy Congrats on your accomplishments!

Message 18 of 47
d170
Regular Contributor

Scratches head::: If you pif each month an 11% shouldn't matter (in my opinion). Also, there's a thread with lowest rates and it's almost seems as 10/11% is average now if he offered 15.99% I could see decking it. 

Time to Garden!!
EQ 703 TU 752 EX 711 as of 07/19/2014. In the garden until 01/19/2015. Baby steps, baby steps!! Trying for 750 ACROSS THE BOARD.
Message 19 of 47
Glkslngr
Frequent Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@gamegrrl wrote:

Thought you said it was going to be no HP for it though?

The rep said it was no HP to see if she prequalified..

Message 20 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.