Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I said 'NO" to a Visa

tag
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Re: I said 'NO" to a Visa

Thinking of asking for a APR reduction from Discover at some point?

Message 21 of 47
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your self control... a card that does not get any use simply does not make sense.  Well done Smiley Happy   .. not sure if I would  have the will power to turn it down ..lol

Message 22 of 47
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

@joltdude wrote:

Thinking of asking for a APR reduction from Discover at some point?

Definitely. It's on my to-do list down the road. Love having the card, but I haven't had it long at this point. And I've only used it twice (to take advantage of 5% cashback on gas station purchases).

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*
Message 23 of 47
Kellan
Regular Contributor

Congratz on a wonderful accomplishment. That is great what you had the power to say no. It shows how much you have grown in this process. Congratz again.

EQ: 678
TU: 699
EX: 736
Message 24 of 47
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

UPDATE -- Re: I said 'NO" to a Visa

Well, I apparently don't have the awesome self control that I was bragging about.

After reading all the responses here, I started wondering about some things, so I called PNC back. Here's the scoop:

• The offer they made to me was truly a no-HP offer
  • I could choose between a points card (PNC Flex Visa) and a cash back card (don't recall what it was called)
  • Credit limit for either would be the same -- $16,200

I folded. I took it.

And since I was being so damn reckless, I decided to request a CLI on my NFCU Signature Visa. I was already sitting at an initial credit limit of $25K. They offered me $30, and I took it.

And since I was fully invested in being a Bad Grrl at this point, I thought I'd try to open a NFCU Navchek (Overdraft Line of Credit) account. Requested $15 (the max) and got it.

The down side to my walk on the wild side is that five minutes ago I got a ScoreWatch notice. I now have two new hard pulls on my CR, both of them NFCU (of course), which dropped my EQ score from 783 to 774. I guess in the grand scheme of things, sacrificing 9 points was worth it. In the long run, anyway.

Message 25 of 47
keithB
Established Contributor

Re: UPDATE -- Re: I said 'NO" to a Visa

@gamegrrl wrote:

Well, I apparently don't have the awesome self control that I was bragging about.

After reading all the responses here, I started wondering about some things, so I called PNC back. Here's the scoop:

• I could choose between a points card (PNC Flex Visa) and a cash back card (don't recall what it was called)

I folded. I took it.

And since I was being so damn reckless, I decided to request a CLI on my NFCU Signature Visa. I was already sitting at an initial credit limit of $25K. They offered me $30, and I took it.

And since I was fully invested in being a Bad Grrl at this point, I thought I'd try to open a NFCU Navchek (Overdraft Line of Credit) account. Requested $15 (the max) and got it.

The down side to my walk on the wild side is that five minutes ago I got a ScoreWatch notice. I now have two new hard pulls on my CR, both of them NFCU (of course), which dropped my EQ score from 783 to 774. I guess in the grand scheme of things, sacrificing 9 points was worth it. In the long run, anyway.

Haha, most here would have taken it as well.  Getting caught up in scores and a couple points here and there is a waste. As long as you are responsible and continue to do the right thing, you will continue to grow.  So congrats =)

Message 26 of 47
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Re: UPDATE -- Re: I said 'NO" to a Visa

@gamegrrl wrote:

I folded. I took it.

I personally wouldn't feel any remorse at all over those deals.  I get that it's an accomplishment to say no.  I get offers in the mail constantly that go straight into the trash, but with terms and limits like you got with no HP I think this is more the kind of oportunity that you have been working towards instead of a chance to say no.  I feel entirely confident I would have taken it as soon as they offered.  No shame in my game!!  It's a great deal.

Congrats!!  You deserve them no matter the outcome of this particular instance.

Message 27 of 47
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it hasn't changed since I worked at PNC 11.99% was the lowest for the Points Visa and 12.99% was the lowest for the CashBuilder. We use to get so many cards thanks to this feature - anytime someone would sit down with a banker a SP would automatically happen if we had income information on file. The CashBuilder card isn't too bad either if you prefer cash as your reward. Could earn up to 1.75% depending on what kind of relationship you had with the bank, plus extra at certain merchants on a rotating basis.

Message 28 of 47
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

Another Update (I've been bad) Re: I said 'NO" to a Visa

Well I thank you all for not shaming me! Smiley Wink

And now I will share with you why I don't drink or gamble: I have an addictive personality. VERY addictive. That said, I have been a bad, bad, BAD grrl.  Smiley Sad

I got such a rush from getting the PNV Flex Visa that I was literally tingling as I hopped in my car to run errands. I had to return an item at Costco, and as I was standing at the Customer Service desk, there were people next to me filling out the form for an Amex card. The demons in my financial soul started poking me with their sharp little pitchforks...

One of the very few things I don't like about Costco is that I have to use my bank debit card there because I don't have an Amex card. Annoying. Mr Gamegrrl and I maintain a joint account just so that he can go shopping at Costco for us (I rarely go myself). We look at the shopping list, then I move an appropriate amount of money from my primary checking account to the joint account, then return any overage back to my account once he gets home. Like I said: Annoying.

I've considered getting a Costco Amex for a couple of years now, but I've been so afraid to even apply that I've never pulled the trigger. It always seemed to me as though it was an elite card, of sorts, and I guess I've never felt I was worthy.

Well today, with the PNC Flex adrenaline flowing through my veins and my unusual feeling of financial power, I did it. I returned my item, and then I said, "I'd like to apply for the Amex card, please." I thought I was going to throw up after I said that. LOL!

Instantly approved for the TrueEarnings Card with a $15,600 limit. GO ME!

When I got home, I figured if I was going to ask for any CLIs on any of my remaining cards, now was the time to do it before the Amex HP hit my reports. Within about 30 minutes, I had CLIs on my Amazon Visa (don't recall the increase) SP, Giant Eagle (a Comenity card) $1,150 SP, and my Citibank Best Buy card $7,000 HP.

I am weak. I am an addict. But I am DONE DONE DONE. In the past few days, I have added a couple of tradelines and increased others to the tune of $58,400 in new credit.

So I guess now I deserve that shaming that so gratefully dodged earlier, eh?

Message 29 of 47
bigDEElight
Frequent Contributor

Re: Another Update (I've been bad) Re: I said 'NO" to a Visa

@gamegrrl wrote:

Well I thank you all for not shaming me! Smiley Wink

And now I will share with you why I don't drink or gamble: I have an addictive personality. VERY addictive. That said, I have been a bad, bad, BAD grrl.  Smiley Sad

I got such a rush from getting the PNV Flex Visa that I was literally tingling as I hopped in my car to run errands. I had to return an item at Costco, and as I was standing at the Customer Service desk, there were people next to me filling out the form for an Amex card. The demons in my financial soul started poking me with their sharp little pitchforks...

One of the very few things I don't like about Costco is that I have to use my bank debit card there because I don't have an Amex card. Annoying. Mr Gamegrrl and I maintain a joint account just so that he can go shopping at Costco for us (I rarely go myself). We look at the shopping list, then I move an appropriate amount of money from my primary checking account to the joint account, then return any overage back to my account once he gets home. Like I said: Annoying.

I've considered getting a Costco Amex for a couple of years now, but I've been so afraid to even apply that I've never pulled the trigger. It always seemed to me as though it was an elite card, of sorts, and I guess I've never felt I was worthy.

Well today, with the PNC Flex adrenaline flowing through my veins and my unusual feeling of financial power, I did it. I returned my item, and then I said, "I'd like to apply for the Amex card, please." I thought I was going to throw up after I said that. LOL!

Instantly approved for the TrueEarnings Card with a $15,600 limit. GO ME!

When I got home, I figured if I was going to ask for any CLIs on any of my remaining cards, now was the time to do it before the Amex HP hit my reports. Within about 30 minutes, I had CLIs on my Amazon Visa (don't recall the increase) SP, Giant Eagle (a Comenity card) $1,150 SP, and my Citibank Best Buy card $7,000 HP.

I am weak. I am an addict. But I am DONE DONE DONE. In the past few days, I have added a couple of tradelines and increased others to the tune of $58,400 in new credit.

So I guess now I deserve that shaming that so gratefully dodged earlier, eh?

LOL congrats on all those new increases and cards, wowza! 

EQ: 706 TU: 716 EX: 708
Total: $91,700 | 2016 Goal: $95K | Utilization: 8%
Message 30 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.