Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I said 'NO" to a Visa

tag
peaceonearth
Established Contributor

Re: I said 'NO" to a Visa

@gamegrrl wrote:

I guess the simple answer here is that, as one responder said, I can now be picky about my cards. I don't want to just accumulate cards, there has to be a compelling reason to get it.

The NFCU is fabulous, and I use it for everything. I specifically wanted a DiscoverIT, and was able to get a $7K CL (even though I wasn't thrilled about the interest rate). Adding a new card right now would certainly impact my AAOC, which is suffering right now due to the NFCU Visa (10/2013), DiscoverIT (7/2014), a car loan through NFCU (12/2013).

A card would have to be spectacular right now for me to push the button.

+1

Stay in control.

Message 41 of 47
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

@peaceonearth wrote:

+1

Stay in control.

Yes indeed. I swear I will do my best to stay in control.

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*
Message 42 of 47
Tony275
Valued Contributor

Awesome, great story!! Can't wait to be at this point!! Very mature of you!

Starting Score: (June 2014) TU08: 663 | EQ04: 640 | EX08: 685
Current Score: TU08: 757 | EQ04/08: 757/758 | EX08: 761
Goal Score: 800 across the board

Total Credit Line - $186,050 | Utilization - 16.8%
Message 43 of 47
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

Re: Another Update (I've been bad) Re: I said 'NO" to a Visa

@CribDuchess wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@joltdude wrote:

Its kind of like having a store card for a place you shop frequently... Esp if you buy gas at Costco... having their amex is almost a necessity... No cash, and it saves some time at the pump.. That said.. you went for the long pass and scored =). Frankly I would have done the same thing as the OP... probably said no thanks.. thought about it a minute, then called them back and taken up the offer... the PNC offer was a good offer... But off to the garden with the OP... Just be careful of the neighbors.. we still havent figured out how to keep C.A. in the garden.... The thing i could see coming out of the garden for is for a 0% offer on medical (I.e. Carecredit .. though *eugh*)... or for funding a major purchase or disaster (car repair, major appliances, etc)

You can use any Amex card in Costco ... A card that has an AF which is the Costco membership fee and a card that would be cancled should you decide on stop shopping there is a bad card imo unless you know you will shop there forever. I also don't like it because it requires to use CB at Costco and they don't give you the option to use it elsewhere like any other CB card.

Actually, you can take the CB certificate to any register at Costco and simply get the cash paid out to you (no purchase necessary).  I have done exactly this.

Oh I have as well but I wouldn't expect it since Costco could just say no

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 44 of 47
CribDuchess
Established Contributor

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@CribDuchess wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@joltdude wrote:

Its kind of like having a store card for a place you shop frequently... Esp if you buy gas at Costco... having their amex is almost a necessity... No cash, and it saves some time at the pump.. That said.. you went for the long pass and scored =). Frankly I would have done the same thing as the OP... probably said no thanks.. thought about it a minute, then called them back and taken up the offer... the PNC offer was a good offer... But off to the garden with the OP... Just be careful of the neighbors.. we still havent figured out how to keep C.A. in the garden.... The thing i could see coming out of the garden for is for a 0% offer on medical (I.e. Carecredit .. though *eugh*)... or for funding a major purchase or disaster (car repair, major appliances, etc)

You can use any Amex card in Costco ... A card that has an AF which is the Costco membership fee and a card that would be cancled should you decide on stop shopping there is a bad card imo unless you know you will shop there forever. I also don't like it because it requires to use CB at Costco and they don't give you the option to use it elsewhere like any other CB card.

Actually, you can take the CB certificate to any register at Costco and simply get the cash paid out to you (no purchase necessary).  I have done exactly this.

Costco isn't going to say no.  The cash/check option is defined in the T & C for the Costco Amex card benefits.

An excerpt from the T&C is pasted below:

costco cash.JPG

FICOs: TU08 842 EQ08 850 EX08 850

My Wallet: Amex Gold NPSL; Amex Optima Platinum $25K; Amex BCE $12K; Apple Card $20K; BofA Travel Rewards Visa Sig $67.6K; Cap1 Quicksilver Visa Sig $10K; CSP $28.2K; Chase Freedom $13K; Chase Freedom Unlimited $21.4K; Citi Costco Visa $19.3K; Citi Double Cash $13.5K; Citi Simplicity Visa $23.3K; Discover IT $50K; Fidelity Visa $25K; NFCU Flagship Visa Sig $40K; NFCU More Rewards Amex $30K; PenFed Plat Rewards Visa Sig $50K; Sears MC $10.1K; US Bank Altitude Go Visa Sig $20K; US Bank Cash+ Visa Sig $26K; Wells Fargo Rewards Visa Sig $14K
Message 45 of 47
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@CribDuchess wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@CribDuchess wrote:

@Closingracer99 wrote:

@joltdude wrote:

Costco isn't going to say no.  The cash/check option is defined in the T & C for the Costco Amex card benefits.

An excerpt from the T&C is pasted below:

costco cash.JPG

Ah Didn't know ... just figured it was something done by Costco and not in the T &C. It is my mothers card and she usually just purchases stuff with it then ask for cash.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 46 of 47
scorpio_queen02
Valued Member

Awesome story and motivation!

Message 47 of 47
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.