Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I still hate Capital One

tag
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

I still hate Capital One

I still hate Capital One for now...  I had 2 QS1 cards, one had an $800 CL and the other had a $1000 CL.  I was being charged around $90 per year for membership fees which I never actually paid as they were waiving them every year but refusing to remove them.  I had 3+ years of NO missed or late payments at all.  So about 3 months ago when my 6 months hit on one of them I hit the luv button and was denied AGAIN and closed both cards the next day.

Fast forward about 3 or 4 months and I get a preapproval in the mail for the QS Visa.  Out of curiousity I put the reservation codes in and clicked apply and approved for 2k.  That's $200 more in credit limit and no membership fee that they had previously said they could not remove.  So what changed over the past several months?  Oh nothing really other than a ton of INQs and new accounts.  No rhyme or reason AT ALL.

I'll give them a year to change my mind about them, then if they play games with me again like they did before I'll drop em again like a hot potato.  I think I'll transfer every balance I have to the card during that 12 months also.  If nothing else they will serve a purpose in carrying my balances interest free for a year!

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I still hate Capital One

lol I dont hate Capital One but I understand your frustration with them. I've accepted that this particular company and its weirdness isnt for me, left it at that. Smiley Happy Congrats on the 2k! At least its a step in the right direction and they seem to be more generous with others lately so good luck

Message 2 of 37
chalupaman
Super Contributor

CapOne tends to be better with their cards that have no annual fee and actually have rewards on them IMO (think Venture, QS, Buypower cards, that sort of stuff). From my personal experience, they aren't bad at all and haven't had a single problem with them yet but undrestandably I've heard of many people who were stuck with their annual fee cards who did have plenty of trouble. I also give them credit for giving me a CLI before I got one with my Citi card (finally). Congrats on your approval.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 3 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats!........Thanks for sharing..Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 37
norhplatter
Established Member

I had three cards and cancelled one because of APR. Two others QS1 and premium..both with $59 AF.  I CHATTED AND FOUND OUT MY QS was upgradeable to no AF or I could have venture. I took QS no AF.  chatted on second card and upgraded from premium to QS but told AF stands because it was in my contract. I called EO and they refunded fee, paid this month, and then permanently deleted AF. also had a couple good CLIs.  Got no where with Cap1 for years and now they are giving me what I ask for. This past year I got AMEX Blue, Barclay, and Nfcu so may be that's why

Message 5 of 37
Billybob_TX
Frequent Contributor

CapOne gave me unsecured credit when nobody else would post-BK. Sure it had an AF, but what the hey. They have so-so cards, good cards, and better cards, no reason to be a hater. Remember they will only give you what you ask for, somewhere down the line you asked for and accepted whatever card you have.

I now have a beauty VentureOne no AF card with a 10K limit. I'm very happy with them.

Message 6 of 37
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@Billybob_TX wrote:

CapOne gave me unsecured credit when nobody else would post-BK. Sure it had an AF, but what the hey. They have so-so cards, good cards, and better cards, no reason to be a hater. Remember they will only give you what you ask for, somewhere down the line you asked for and accepted whatever card you have.

I now have a beauty VentureOne no AF card with a 10K limit. I'm very happy with them.

As is the case with many...  Cap 1 was there for me when no one else was.  I mistakenly felt like the relationship we had built was a relationship and very much wanted to repay the faith they had placed in me.  Yes, you are correct.  I asked for the QS1 nearly 4 years ago and at the time it was exactly what I wanted/needed.  I simply wanted to continue doing business with them and they made it impossible.

In some weird way, them approving this card at this point makes me hate them even more.  If I qualify now with the extra INQs and new accounts why wouldn't they just work with me 4 months ago???  That's the whole reason I even applied was because after the brick wall I had ran up against I just wanted to see.  The logic behind their business model is so screwy, I simply wanted to see if they were actually going to approve it now. 

Who knows...  I see people here all the time that swoop in to Cap 1's defense talking about how great they have been to them and maybe I will fall into that elite category now and they will handle my new account with some sort of logical reasoning.  At this point I am rather jaded and certainly do not have very high hopes, but time will tell.  Curiosity got me to take the bait so we will see how long it lasts.

Message 7 of 37
Billybob_TX
Frequent Contributor

About 2 weeks after getting my 2500 QS AF card that never got a CLI for 2 years up to 5K thru the EO, I got the wild hair to apply for the VentureOne no AF, and got a insta-approval for 10k. There is no rhyme or reason, but they treat different cards differently...that is just how it is.

Message 8 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cap1 will approve you when the only other option is the scum lenders.

They will not grow with you unless you put in a new app. (Hello triple pull!)

Message 9 of 37
chalupaman
Super Contributor

@wacdenney wrote:

@Billybob_TX wrote:

As is the case with many...  Cap 1 was there for me when no one else was.  I mistakenly felt like the relationship we had built was a relationship and very much wanted to repay the faith they had placed in me.  Yes, you are correct.  I asked for the QS1 nearly 4 years ago and at the time it was exactly what I wanted/needed.  I simply wanted to continue doing business with them and they made it impossible.

In some weird way, them approving this card at this point makes me hate them even more.  If I qualify now with the extra INQs and new accounts why wouldn't they just work with me 4 months ago???  That's the whole reason I even applied was because after the brick wall I had ran up against I just wanted to see.  The logic behind their business model is so screwy, I simply wanted to see if they were actually going to approve it now. 

Who knows...  I see people here all the time that swoop in to Cap 1's defense talking about how great they have been to them and maybe I will fall into that elite category now and they will handle my new account with some sort of logical reasoning.  At this point I am rather jaded and certainly do not have very high hopes, but time will tell.  Curiosity got me to take the bait so we will see how long it lasts.

Good luck with that. Sorry if I annoyed you with that comment. I guess CapOne is just one of those lenders that's all over the place with people for whatever reason.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.