cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I think this might be a unique problem. Maybe not. Very interested in your ideas

tag
tavalon
Established Member

I think this might be a unique problem. Maybe not. Very interested in your ideas

I've learned so much here, guys and I straightened up my credit nicely. Got that 0% interest car I was planning on getting.

Anyway, I got a number of cards over the last year. Not good for my credit score in the short term, great in the longterm because I don't overutilize and except for 0% intro rate cards,  I pay off monthly. I only desire one other card and then I am done. I may play the CLI game later but no new cards. The card I want is the true earnings Costco/amex marriage card. I dislike Amex with a passion but this one would be very useful to me. I applied for it twice and was turned down.

Last week, they sent me a preapproved begging letter (that's what I call those thousands of offers that come in when you are a credit card user) that included a teaser of a $55 statement credit after using $250. I don't know about you, but I rarely walk out of Costco with less than $200 of stuff. So, I thought, hey why not? But, here's the rub. I have a Discover It that has a 0% interest rate until about 8 months from now. It also offered 0% balance transfers with a very small transaction fee. Anyway, they are way over the utilization that they should be, but if I weren't looking at this other offer, I would let it ride. I can pay it off easily within the timeframe but why speed it up? I think that would be bad money management, except.......

The offer from Amex expires on Nov 25th. I've been paying off the Discover about 500.00 a month, even though I should just keep the money in reserve in an interest bearing account, but I don't trust life to find a way to use that money. Alas, it won't be payed down to 1500.00 (30% util) until after ththe AMEX/Costco offer expires (it will be at 3000 with a limit of 5000). I can do a balance transfer to a card that would charge 3.99% which sounds really financially stupid. But it would then show both of those accounts at below 30% for the Amex application. I haven't checked but I can probably move it back and stick with my plan but the fees back and forth might make it unfeasable, plus I haven't checked to see if I can move money owed that often between cards.

Any ideas fellow Ficos?

Tavalon

In my wallet: Barclaycard rewards 2% on groceries and gas. and my CU debit card

Resting in the garden: 2 quicksilvers 1.5% rewards - were being used for groceries until I got the Barclaycard, Chase Amazon with 3% rewards at Amazon, Chase Disney - the one with the great transfer rate but the trip to Disney is done, so otherwise, it's pushing up daisies, Discover 5% rotating but util is too high so no using it. REI - dumb choice since I love REI with all my heart. Nonetheless it's paid off and buried. Bill me later or whatever it's called these days - I have a number of no interest, no payments until the middle of next year with them and they will be paid off in time.

Message 1 of 41
40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: I think this might be a unique problem. Maybe not. Very interested in your ideas

@tavalon wrote:

I've learned so much here, guys and I straightened up my credit nicely. Got that 0% interest car I was planning on getting.

Anyway, I got a number of cards over the last year. Not good for my credit score in the short term, great in the longterm because I don't overutilize and except for 0% intro rate cards,  I pay off monthly. I only desire one other card and then I am done. I may play the CLI game later but no new cards. The card I want is the true earnings Costco/amex marriage card. I dislike Amex with a passion but this one would be very useful to me. I applied for it twice and was turned down.

Last week, they sent me a preapproved begging letter (that's what I call those thousands of offers that come in when you are a credit card user) that included a teaser of a $55 statement credit after using $250. I don't know about you, but I rarely walk out of Costco with less than $200 of stuff. So, I thought, hey why not? But, here's the rub. I have a Discover It that has a 0% interest rate until about 8 months from now. It also offered 0% balance transfers with a very small transaction fee. Anyway, they are way over the utilization that they should be, but if I weren't looking at this other offer, I would let it ride. I can pay it off easily within the timeframe but why speed it up? I think that would be bad money management, except.......

The offer from Amex expires on Nov 25th. I've been paying off the Discover about 500.00 a month, even though I should just keep the money in reserve in an interest bearing account, but I don't trust life to find a way to use that money. Alas, it won't be payed down to 1500.00 (30% util) until after ththe AMEX/Costco offer expires (it will be at 3000 with a limit of 5000). I can do a balance transfer to a card that would charge 3.99% which sounds really financially stupid. But it would then show both of those accounts at below 30% for the Amex application. I haven't checked but I can probably move it back and stick with my plan but the fees back and forth might make it unfeasable, plus I haven't checked to see if I can move money owed that often between cards.

Any ideas fellow Ficos?

Tavalon

In my wallet: Barclaycard rewards 2% on groceries and gas. and my CU debit card

Resting in the garden: 2 quicksilvers 1.5% rewards - were being used for groceries until I got the Barclaycard, Chase Amazon with 3% rewards at Amazon, Chase Disney - the one with the great transfer rate but the trip to Disney is done, so otherwise, it's pushing up daisies, Discover 5% rotating but util is too high so no using it. REI - dumb choice since I love REI with all my heart. Nonetheless it's paid off and buried. Bill me later or whatever it's called these days - I have a number of no interest, no payments until the middle of next year with them and they will be paid off in time.

Nice offer. We got a poke in the eye for applying for this card. Lol.

Message 2 of 41
tavalon
Established Member

Re: I think this might be a unique problem. Maybe not. Very interested in your ideas

I got poked in both eyes by these people. Once in the store and once applying outside the store. That's why I'm surprised by their begging letter. And why, despite my dislike of all things Amex, want to get my ducks in a row to get this darn card. I don't like using my debit at Costco and they don't take anything but that and their proprietary Amex.

Message 3 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tavalon wrote:

I got poked in both eyes by these people. Once in the store and once applying outside the store. That's why I'm surprised by their begging letter. And why, despite my dislike of all things Amex, want to get my ducks in a row to get this darn card. I don't like using my debit at Costco and they don't take anything but that and their proprietary Amex.

What's your EX look like?

Message 4 of 41
taxi818
Super Contributor

Well thats a preference i understand. but even with the one account over 30 percent i would still go for it.

the only reason i say that is i had 3 accounts over 30 percent and about 8 with 0 balance. but i still got amex. so. ymmv. but its up to you.

Message 5 of 41
tavalon
Established Member

Experian is my worst at 620. They don't like that I got 6 cards in the last year. I suppose I don't blame them. Does Amex use Experion?

Edited to add : I just checked experion for the heck of it. It's 701

Message 6 of 41
taxi818
Super Contributor

Yes. Amex pulls ex 99 percent of time. But ymmv.
Message 7 of 41
tavalon
Established Member

Does my new surprise 701 in Experion make this more likely even if one of my cards is over the 30%?

Message 8 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tavalon wrote:

Does my new surprise 701 in Experion make this more likely even if one of my cards is over the 30%?

Shoot for it. 701 usually works with this card if the rest of your profile supports it. (Income, Money owed, DTI.)

Message 9 of 41
taxi818
Super Contributor

Yes. If you got 701. Even with 30 percent. You are good. Go for it.
Message 10 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.