cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Approved for Barclay MasterCard and need some adivce

tag
beyondbasic

Just Approved for Barclay MasterCard and need some adivce

First of all my wife has a score of 808 with great cards and balances. and has been helping me fix my credit with her and the help of all of you im eager to hit the 700 club.

I have horrible history and just this year and March decided to make changes. using [Mod Cut] they have helped me remove numerous negatives on my report. my score went from 427 to now being 624.

I got a First Premier Secured Card 2 months ago with the 300$ limit but loads of fees and 95$ down sucked. However it was a way to build. just out of the blue last night i decided to apply for the barclay andw as instantly approved for 500$.

My goal is to pay off the FP card sense the interest rates are insane but keep it open to build history. However i noticed the
Capital One® Platinum Credit Card;has a very good approval rating for scores as low as 559-660. Is this something i should apply for now as well? or should i give a few months to work with my new barcly?

Mod Cut - to remove website - Lexie, myFICO Moderator
Starting Scores 11/2013 EQ 562 TU 624 EX 545

My Wallet. First Premier Secured $300 -- Barclay Rewards $500
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Just Approved for Barclay MasterCard and need some adivce

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on the new card! If it was me I would wait 6 months. I do know Cap1 pulls reports from all 3 reporting agencies and it would suck to apply to soon and be declined.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 19
alvon123
Super Contributor

congrats on the approval

Message 3 of 19
beyondbasic

any other info or advice from you gurus would also be highly appreciated. a little more info.

I have a car loan my wife co-signed for 35k. pay 550 monthly for 11months with 100% on-time

First premier Secured card has also just posted as a 1 payment 100% on time

that is the only positive history and most of my negative i would say 90% of my negative accounts are medical bills.

I am also still using creditrepair.com who monthly drop off a negative or two. 

my CreditKarma score (transunion) is about 624 I have not yet checked equifax or experian what is the best and cheapest way to check those? 

Message 4 of 19
beyondbasic

do you know of any others that may just pull transunion? 

Message 5 of 19
Sunshinebiz
New Contributor

All GE cards are TU pullers (wal mart, amazon, etc) and you could reasonably hope to be approved with your scores also. You will also now get your actual TU fico score with your Barclay's account which is a really nice added benefit. Wal mart card also offers a version of the TU Fico score monthly. Congrats on the new TL; use it well. Happy thanksgiving!

Gardening spree went on hiatus but I think it paid off. Now back at it!
Building slowly but surely. Thank you to all members of this community for all the invaluable advice.
Latest that I know of: EX- 671, EQ- 653 TU- 648
Amex Green, Barclay Rewards MC, Cap1 Platinum, Cap1 Quicksilver, Credit One(closed!), WalMart, Amazon, DCU Platinum Visa, Jared Credit, Cap1 Spark business cash back, AMEX corporate Gold, Alliant CU Plat Visa, Suncoast FCU Plat Rewards Visa

Goals by end of January: Amex TE Costco, Amex BCE
Can it be done? It wasn't done by end of Jan, but it's still coming
Message 6 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

1. go to capitalone.com and do the check for pre-qual offers and if you get an offer for something... Apply.
2. If capital one approves... PAY OFF AND CLOSE FIRST PREMIER NOW!
3. CANCEL [mod cut] NOW
4. list the negatives that are on your report still right now that you think you should continue to pay creditrepair to do for you?
5. how much do you pay them monthly out of curiousity?!

Mod cut- Removed website -Lexie
Message 7 of 19
beyondbasic

i pay them 80 a month. which is very reasonable to me for what hthey have done. i had 13 negatives on my TU and they removed 9. however they are still fighting them off my EQ and EX hense the TU being the better of the scores.

So to answer i think i will give them another month or so.

The only thing Cap One pre appoved me for is a secured card lol. cause again my TU score is the only one semi good right now as creditrepair fights the others.

should i apply for a walmart card? sense they are TU based?

Message 8 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

If Walmart would be most useful.
I just got a 76 card with --a 630 tu
Message 9 of 19
beyondbasic

what is a 76 card? is there a pre-approval app?

Id like to apply for a additonal card but something that maybe has a pre-approval and a TU only.

my EQ and EX scores are in the mid-high 500's due to negative marks not removed yet.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.