Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just approved for capital one card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just approved for capital one card

My discharge was on Feb 22. I just applied for a cap one plat card. Approved for $1k.
I want to apply for a second card, but not sure if I should do it on the same day. I read in another thread (that I now cannot find) that there is a way to apply for more than one without getting another HP.
Anyone have any suggestions?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
LCC_mk14
Regular Contributor

Re: Just approved for capital one card

The general rule with cap one is that you can only open 1 account every six months.

I have read a few posts though where some were able to get 2 in a day, though I am not sure how. 

Here's a post about the 1/6 rule https://www.doctorofcredit.com/capital-one-tightens-churning-rules/

Typically to combine inquiries, you app on the same day and fail close together in time. This does not seem too common though for CO since they will likley just deny the second app and not process it at all. 

Message 2 of 12
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

Cap One limits you to a new credit card every 6 months. 

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha. Good to know. I need a second card now so that I can farm...
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got my first CO card back in Oct (platinum with $1K).  Was able to PC that card to a QS and approved for a 2nd one a few weeks ago.    

Message 5 of 12
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

CongratsSmiley Happy
EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the approval. I'm not sure on the rules here so looking forward to feedback from other more experienced people.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymouswrote:
Gotcha. Good to know. I need a second card now so that I can farm...

Discover can be a good second card for you. You might want to check their pre-qual site to see if they have any offer for you. DW and I both got our separate Discover secured and Cap One Platinum cards about a month prior to our bk7 discharge.

Message 8 of 12
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

check discover prequalification.

use you cap one card every day.  pay if off every time you hit 500 balance before the statement cuts.  pay off the week after any balance hits your cr from the statement.

cap one can grow.  you may have to open additional cards but cap one can grow.

I went from 3k to 80k in 4 years with Cap One (plus a 2.49% apr car loan for 72 months)

good luck and stay away from store cards you dont need or get a huge advantage from (5% lowes, 5% amazon, 0% offers, etc.)

stay away from pred cards.

check Merrick bank also.

Good luck.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the Cap1 approval and start to your rebuild.

I would also suggest Discover or even Amex; try their prequals out.  Please do not get frustrated in figuring out a second card and go for a bad sub-prime lender though

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.