Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Established Member

Low Credit Scores: Approved for both American Express Blue Cash and Everyday

[ Edited ]

I'm a Long Time Lurker,

I dont know whats going on here; but I was just approved for both American Express Blue Cash and the AMX Everyday Card.

I have been rebuilding for a few years now and my scores are not good at all, or at least where I want them to be.

My Fico: TU 630 EQU 632 EXP 640. With these scores, I was approved for both AMX CC.... WHAT!!! HOW!!!!????

What is going on with AMX? I have been trying them for yearsssssss. Always an instant denial. Last time I tried was December of 2016 and that denial was no suprise.

I don't know what made me try the pre-qualifier yesterday but I was matched with 3 cards that "matched".

Current Stats:

I have 19 inq.

35% CC utilization

5 collections

5 accounts with charge offs

reposession

and 

5 late payments

All the baddies are from 2012. My oldest revolving acount is 4 years, my first credit card since I started rebuilding.

I was only approved for $1k each; but I am so thankful for those limits. 

Has anyone else been approved with similair scores?

It appears that AMX has relaxed on their underwriting.

5/19: UPDATE:

Last night I did decided for apply for the AmEx Gold charge card...I figured, "Hey, why not?".... Behold, I was approved for a AmEx Gold Charge Card with only a Experian score of 640.

This makes 3 AmEx cards that I just obtained. Their underwriting requires definitely had to have changed. I am just shocked that there are those who have a much cleaner credit history than I do not seeing any approvals.

Contributor

Re: Low Credit Scores: Approved for both American Express Blue Cash and Everyday

Congrats on your AMEX approvals..   i dont quite have those scores yet to be able to try, but i'm getting close.  BCE is a goal card for me.

Starting Score: TU 504 EQ 525 EX 535 (4-4-17)
Current Score: TU 605 EQ 622 EX 615
Goal: 680 then 800 club across the board
Cap1 I Disc I NFCU
Established Member

Re: Low Credit Scores: Approved for both American Express Blue Cash and Everyday

Thanks Mate! I was in your shoes not that long ago. It seems that they are approving credit scores much lower than a few years ago.

I though I would have to wait until I was low 700's.

This is like a Christmas Miracle!

Valued Member

I've seen success for people with scores in those ranges. With that info, I applied yesterday, and.... Got denied. Current scores of TU:618, EQ:615 and EX:628. Currently going thru reconsideration, will let y'all know if I get approved.

But, my scores are jumping up by the day. EQ is at 635 today. All my collections are about to disappear, and my credit utilization is currently between 35% and 85% between the 3 due to lags in updates on payments. In a month or two, all utilization should be at or below 10%, as it's not much, $600 to pay down. My payment history is perfect for the last 3 years. I expected a year or two before I got an AMEX, but I'm chopping at the bit to get one now. How soon is too soon to reapply with AMEX, if I'm denied in Recon? 30 days, or should I wait for 90? 

5/15/2017 FICO 8 Scores: Ex-617 Eq-593 TU-584
6/3/2017 Scores: EX-651 Eq-612 TU-631
Regular Contributor

I'm waiting for my Util to drop a little more and I'm going to go for it - 650 on EX.

BOA Cash Rewards - $500 Capital One secured: $500 Capital One Platinum - $500 Credit One: $400 J Crew: $630 Fingerhut: $1000 Overstock: 2000 Boscov's - $900 Saks Fifth Avenue - $1000 Brylane Home $1550 Ulta - $1000
Established Member

I believe that you can apply immediately after 30 days. With all the work that you have put in and what your profile will looks like, once its all updated, you shouldn't have a problem being approved, especially considering that I have another 2 1/2 years before all the baddies I have fall off. You are in a better shape than I am.

I'm rooting for you. Let us know know it pans out.  I'm not going to lie....I'm still in shock... Feels too good to be true. It gives those who are in the rebuilding stage hope!

Established Member

What is your Utilization at now?

try the pre-qualifier. You may get an offer/ match already.

Frequent Contributor

Awesome sauce. And congratz!!. You give me hope.. How much did you get approved for if you dont mind my asking?

As of 6/30/2017 - EQ:598 TU:589 EX:645 GOAL:750 All around the board
In the Garden since 12/16/2016~ Gardening until 7/1/2018

"You will receive better cards as your profile improves and any baddies fall off. It's just a process like climbing stairs. As your profile improves, you are able to go to the next level of cards. - baller4life
Established Member

$1000 for each card. More than that I though I would get. 

I would have taken a card with a CLI of $100... hahahah

Then again, I didn't even think that I would get approved with such low scores and then get approved a second card immediately after.

Established Member

congrats  i have a ex score of 671 keep getting  turn down for a american express

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.